Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
G

·
You guys do realize that the battery will gradually lose its ability to hold a charge whether it's in the Kindle or sitting in a drawer, right? By the time you need that spare it may very well be as dead as the battery it was meant to replace. Just something to think about.

· Registered
43,676 Posts
Swapping them out once a month should help in that regard, fewer cycle should make them last some longer.

· Registered
557 Posts
I've had my Kindle since 2007.  Shortly thereafter I bought an extra battery from Amazon when they were  in stock.  It sat in the drawer for over 6 months.  I put it in a month ago and it works fine.  

· Registered
9,650 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I've had my Kindle since 2007. Shortly thereafter I bought an extra battery from Amazon when they were in stock. It sat in the drawer for over 6 months. I put it in a month ago and it works fine.
Six months is not a long time.... However, in a few years, the chemicals in the battery will start to break down whether it is used or not. So if in 4 years the battery in your Kindle dies, and you install another battery that you had been saving for the last 4 years, you will not get peak performance from that battery, and it will likely not last very long either.

· Registered
363 Posts
I ordered my battery from Amazon on Feb.10th,and got the same email as many of you asking if I wanted to keep waiting and I originally said yes. There are quite a few members here that have ordered from Ebay or Adorama, and the batteries are exactly the same........so I tried Adorama,it was cheaper (free shipping) and here in less than a week. www.adorama.com sku number LRERDA 100 if you're interested.
kjn

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
MAGreen said:
My guess...because Amazon no longer manufactures the K1s, they aren't stocking the batteries, but when they have a reasonable amount of orders for them, they order a batch. Also, if it is under a year and your battery dies, it is still under warranty, you can call CS and have it replaced. They should last more than a year so it would fall under defective, I think... ;)
Oh, I hope you are wrong. No offense to you; I hope you know that. But part & parcel with the K1 was it having a replaceable battery. Just because Amazon decided to come out with the K2 doesn't mean all the K1's simply vanished from the earth. I feel they have a responsibility to have those batteries available for their product as long as those products are out there & still working.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
kjn33 said:
I ordered my battery from Amazon on Feb.10th,and got the same email as many of you asking if I wanted to keep waiting and I originally said yes. There are quite a few members here that have ordered from Ebay or Adorama, and the batteries are exactly the same........so I tried Adorama,it was cheaper (free shipping) and here in less than a week. www.adorama.com sku number LRERDA 100 if you're interested.
kjn
Thanks so much. I will be bookmarking that site.

· Registered
6,006 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Six months is not a long time.... However, in a few years, the chemicals in the battery will start to break down whether it is used or not. So if in 4 years the battery in your Kindle dies, and you install another battery that you had been saving for the last 4 years, you will not get peak performance from that battery, and it will likely not last very long either.
I am going to New Zealand for my honeymoon this January. We might be going to Australia. It is going to be a three week trip. I figure two batteries will get me through the entire trip. Two batteries will make life easier when I travel for work and pleasure. It is nice knowing that my Kindle is not going to die on me on the airplane.

Call me silly, but I prefer to have the back up when traveling.

· Registered
3,120 Posts
RLA1996 & I ordered batteries on 3-17-09 from Adorama and received them today.  These are the same batteries that kjn33 gave the sku # for.  The info on the battery states:  ERDA100 Lithium-Polymer "for Amazon Kindle E-Book Reader".  I think this was very good service.  B-Kay

· Registered
12,056 Posts
Radio Shack is on backorder also.  I was not able to purchase in the store.  21.99 web price and they will send you an email when it's available.

What is the difference in the battery life if I purchase the battery and store it or if I wait a year and then purchase it?  I understand it might be a newer batch.  But I guess I was worried that I might not be able to get one at all eventually. 

· Registered
618 Posts
drenee said:
What is the difference in the battery life if I purchase the battery and store it or if I wait a year and then purchase it? I understand it might be a newer batch. But I guess I was worried that I might not be able to get one at all eventually.
The lithium-ion/polymer batteries lose about 4% of their charge each month whether they're used or not. The batteries should last over 2 years (as long as they're not allowed to drain all the way often). But if you buy a spare now, and don't use it for a year, it will have a little better than half its capacity left after that.

Nice/wise, though, as pointed out, when you are on a long trip and want to swap batteries when you can't plug it in for long periods of time. Especially when customer reps advise us that if we use wireless, not to let the remaining battery power fall below "at least 25%"...

· Registered
127 Posts
drenee said:
What is the difference in the battery life if I purchase the battery and store it or if I wait a year and then purchase it?
How much capacity you lose over time is a function of charge at storage and temperature. To quote the link below "If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge." Stored near 0C/32F (but without freezing) it will loose about 2% of it's total capacity in a year.

For more than you probably would care to know about lithium-based batteries read here -- it's a good read and layman-friendly.

· Registered
430 Posts
V said:
How much capacity you lose over time is a function of charge at storage and temperature. To quote the link below "If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge." Stored near 0C/32F (but without freezing) it will loose about 2% of it's total capacity in a year.

For more than you probably would care to know about lithium-based batteries read here -- it's a good read and layman-friendly.
What a great read. Time to move my spare from the drawer to the fridge. ;)

Thank you!

· Registered
384 Posts
I purchased a spare battery for my K becasue my DH is planning a caming trip and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery.  As neither of out vehicles have an ashtray plugger that works and neither does the boat my K's gotta get back-up power somewhere.  Three of four days in the middle of nowhere with nothing to read is NOT my idea of fun., and fishing is not an option as I'm not patient enought to sit there and wait for the fish to bite.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
ProfCash:
I am going to New Zealand for my honeymoon this January. We might be going to Australia. It is going to be a three week trip. I figure two batteries will get me through the entire trip. Two batteries will make life easier when I travel for work and pleasure. It is nice knowing that my Kindle is not going to die on me on the airplane.
Honeymoon...No offense; I do hope your K isn't going to get that much use!! I'm sure you'll be busy doing other things...lol.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
OK so as I understand it - the two spare batteries I bought last summer (sorry y'all wish I could share with you, hope I was not the reason for the lack of batteries  ;D ) should be moved into the fridge?  Should I do anything else first? 

Getting specialized batteries here is impossible, but after my initial experience I didn't want to be left without a kindle at all.  Saying that, lately I have NOT put K1 off, only to sleep and the battery depletion has not been as bad as it was by putting it off.  I do have to charge weekly but then it gets a lot of use, not as much as I would like, but a lot.

· Registered
6,006 Posts
I purchased a spare battery for my K becasue my DH is planning a caming trip and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. As neither of out vehicles have an ashtray plugger that works and neither does the boat my K's gotta get back-up power somewhere. Three of four days in the middle of nowhere with nothing to read is NOT my idea of fun., and fishing is not an option as I'm not patient enought to sit there and wait for the fish to bite.
Solar chargers are wonderful things. My fiance used one when backpacking the Muir Trail to keep his IPod, XM Satellite radio, and rechargable batteries for the gps fully charged.

Honeymoon...No offense; I do hope your K isn't going to get that much use!! I'm sure you'll be busy doing other things...lol.
heheheh Yup. But there will still be the long plane rides too and from New Zealand. And the times sitting on the beach. And some other down time. I read a lot.

· Registered
603 Posts

· Registered
12,056 Posts
I got an email from Amazon today saying my estimated delivery date for my replacement battery is April 3, 2009.  My order was placed February 19, 2009.  Less than two months.  Shorter than I expected.
deb

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.