Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the latest version of Snow Leopard and wanted to know if any Mac users will be upgrading to Lion. If so, what would you say would be the major advantages (other than it will only cost $29 plus whatever headaches are involved with software compatibility?)

All the best.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yup. I'm upgrading. I'm even considering upgrading my MacAir to the new MacAir and Lion.  I just want to know what features the new MacAir will have. I like being the vanguard!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Yeah, I'll be upgrading on my main machine. there are some new features I like, and after doing an inventory of the apps I use, only three essential programs were incompatible right now:

1. Quicken 2005 — I upgraded to Quicken Essentials last week.
2. Tabledit (music notation program for guitar) — author claims new version "soon".
3. URL Manager Pro — author claims new version "soon".

Several games were not compatible, but I can play those on my Win7 machine.

Mike

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'll be upgrading. I always do. :)

jmiked said:
1. Quicken 2005 - I upgraded to Quicken Essentials last week.
Mike,

How was that upgrade? And is QE an improvement over old Quicken? I have a love/hate relationship with Quicken that's so intense I cannot live without it.

Gina

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
YES!  I will...just because that's what I always do.  ;D

I just wish it would hurry up already!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The whole icloud/ios integration looks fantastic,no?
I'm on it like white on rice...
Though Quicken 20xx isn't going to make the transition. I'm currently trying ibank...
--Alex

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Gina Black said:
I'll be upgrading. I always do. :)

Mike,

How was that upgrade? And is QE an improvement over old Quicken? I have a love/hate relationship with Quicken that's so intense I cannot live without it.

Gina
Honestly, I can't see much difference in functionality. It does things a bit differently, and the layout is a bit different. You have to click a button before entering check info, and the Reconcile layout is not quite as convenient, but the learning curve was close to zero.

I tried iBank and was put off by the fact that it always put my credit card balance as an asset (an unaddressed complaint on their forums), and wouldn't import my investments correctly. I also tried several others, but was unimpressed.

Essentials imported all my data and transactions perfectly. It won't talk to my bank, but neither would any of the other programs I tried. It syncs with my credit card company and investment company seamlessly. The most common complaint is that it doesn't do all the things that the Windows version will do. That's irrelevant, as it does everything I need to do, and more.

Mike

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nope, not upgrading.  The features aren't worth it for me, but then again, I don't use my Mac for much more than surfing and creating documents.  ;)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I'm thinking about it. Does anyone know how many computers the $29 upgrade can be used on?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sugar said:
I'm thinking about it. Does anyone know how many computers the $29 upgrade can be used on?
As many as you sign into your iTunes account with (since it's delivered via MAS).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like some of the beta users are running into problems with Lion. Primarily if you have a bootcamp partition on your computer, Lion won't install properly.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1180614

Also some information over at the Amazon Kindle forum about the Kindle reader app not supported on the Lion OSX. This will probably change once Lion is fully up and operating and the whiz techs at Amazon have a closer look at tweaking it.

All the best.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Most certainly, but as other have already said, "I always do".

I'm most looking forward to all the new 'gestures'. Since getting a magic trackpad with my new iMac I'm loving the swipes and other controls all done from it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Content removed circa September 2018 after realizing this forum was bought by VerticalScope -- a foreign corporation with seemingly suspicious motives and a bad attitude apparently attempting to grab rights retroactively. They can have the rights to this statement!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts