Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Why would I? I don't even have Vista on my computer. Unless it is a vast improvement over XP, I don't see myself even getting it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would have downloaded it, if I had a touch screen, cuz W7 supposedly is does well with touchscreen computers. (which i will have to wait to get.)

B

·
0 Posts
I did see one thing that might convince me. The customizable desktop theme. I have really missed this capability from Win98. XP just does not give you enough control over changing the appearance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
marianner said:
I'll beta test software, but not an OS. I need my computer too much!
That is how I feel - plus, even my tablet doesn't have the hardware/drivers needed to realize the ful benifits (mulit-touch)...

I

·
0 Posts
Well I tried but I was never able to find the link to actually let me get it.  I love beta testing new stuff.  I've had vista home premium since it was released.  I used to love playing with the voice to text program.  Sadly as bad as my typing is, it's better than the voice to text.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
We have another thread on Windows 7 beta so I am going to merge these two together. Thanks!

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
FYI, I've deleted the product keys as I prefer those not be posted on this site. It's pretty harmless, but Microsoft is planning to have 2.5 million keys available for Windows 7 beta downloads. So I don't want to have keys posted here that circumvent that control system from Microsoft.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I read somewhere that Windows 7 will be beta tested for six months, at which point the beta test will end and it will go back into development for approximately one more year until it is released for sale. Does anyone know if this is correct? Does that mean if you load the beta test version then six months from now you'll need to reload vista until 7 gets rereleased? I heard that Microsoft will not support 7 during the period between the beta test and the actual release date. If that is true why would anyone want to be a beta tester?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The beta test ends in august. It will be updated as ms sees fit during the test. After test ends, yes youll have to purchase a valid copy to keep using windows 7.

There is no way of knowing when it will be released after the beta ends. The end of beta is not set in stone, they could make it longer if they feel they need more testing done. However, it is almost sure to not be a year between the end of beta and the official release. People like to beta test stuff for many reasons. To see whats new, to say they got to use it before the majority of people, many reasons.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Here is a detailed review from the Washington Post by David Murphy: The PC World Challenge: 72 Hours of Windows 7!

Other reviews for Windows 7 have been kinder, but here is a quick summing up:

As it stands, Windows 7 is not a new operating system. It's SP2. Rightly, it's what Vista should have been, but I'm willing to compromise on this just existing as a significant, service-pack-worthy upgrade to the core Vista OS. A mainstay of the new experiences you will actually encounter are cosmetic in design or function: the new desktop functions are pretty, Windows gadgets are an exploded version of the Vista sidebar, Homegroup is just a rebranded way to set up network sharing, the Taskbar uses icons instead of icons and words, et cetera.
I haven't been impressed with Vista. Since I'm in the market for a new laptop in the next month or so, I'm probably going for a 17 Inch MacBook Pro.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You have to be running Vista to download it and having been a beta tester for previous operating systems for MS I'll pass.  If they do the usual they will take a lot of the "experimental" stuff out, usually what I liked best, and then release it.  You have to pay for the upgrade or nuke your system and reinstall your old operating system they never gave you a way back to your old config.  Just too much hassle for nothing except where did ????? go when you install the final version.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts