Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on putting together a book trailer. It's still using watermarked video, so please do not share this link.

*note - old longer versions removed after feedback (thanks Nathan!) and here is new video (Version 3):

video Removed while being revised. Thanks again for the feedback :D

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
At almost 4 minutes it's way too long for a book trailer.

Get rid of the opening title card. that says "... Ghost in the machine"
Start with the wormhole video.
Put the text OVER the video, not over black (that will help cut your time down)
cut down on some of the text. The only things I remember after watching it is that Love is like a wormhole and how do you know that it isn't taking you to the best place ever.
when the wormhole ends flash transition to the nebula video then put your blurb text over the nebula as you have it.
(If you can somehow get the eye from the cover of the book to come through at the end of the wormhole and then "the camera" passes through the pupil into the nebula would be awesome)
Cut down on some of the blurbs. They get old fast. and I can't remember if any of them were from a source other than amazon or goodreads.
If you can superimpose something over the nebula. Something subtle but there. Like a woman or a man depending on who the love interest in the story is I think it would give it a little more human feel. I kept waiting for something to come out of this at the end, a ship, a person something to make the journey worth it.

It's a good first pass. I think you can definitely tighten it up.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for the feedback, Nathan.

I have added a new shorter version that clocks in at 1.58 or so.

I am still limited by my software and editing knowledge (or lack thereof  :D )

New version now in the 1st / original post, so scroll up ;)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Definitely better, but traveling through the wormhole is all about momentum. It keeps moving and moving and moving and then when it cuts to black you lose all of that momentum. If you can keep that black spot in the middle out of there I would definitely remove it. Even if you have to dissolve into another clip of moving through the wormhole it would be better than cutting to black. If you can move the location of the text around you might try playing with that too. I'm not sure what kind of effect it would have but it would be worth playing with. I would definitely start with a fade in on the wormhole already in motion before your text comes on the screen. the last bit of the wormhole that goes to the bright light? Just dissolve from the end of the bright light to the nebula. That's the payoff for traveling through the wormhole.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Frivolous question: Is the reference to "ship" a deliberate double-entendre with how the word is used in fandom, or just a single-entendre metaphor, cause space travel?

It's very pretty - especially the nebula it pops out onto.

I feel like the initial text could be cut down some, just to make it shorter...but it also works as a good blurb, so I'm conflicted on that point.

I definitely think you can cut some/most of the reviews, keep a couple if you wish, but that could save seconds.

"A must read..." this would be an ok one to keep.
"It was like nothing else..." sure, this one's good too.
"The author is..." this one has a bit of the generalised wording that some associate with sock puppets (don't hurt me, there's just certain phrases, even when used sincerely that can look bad).
"Wow..." isn't attributed to anything more than "Amazon" whereas the others had names.
"Absolutely amazing" doesn't really say much that the top two don't.
"Redefining the space..." - this one's completely unattributed, is it your own text?

The splash screen with the book - I think you can space the text a bit better so that site address sticks out a bit more.

Not sure you need the second screen with the site address.

Or, if so, combine it with the music and video credits onto one screen.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think you're super close.

Here's what I would do as some final tweaks:

1) fade in to the wormhole already in motion for about 2 seconds, then dissolve in your first word. Let the viewer get accustomed to each element separately. First the wormhole. Then "love".
2) The nebula is "paused" when it first fades in. Make sure that it is already in motion as it dissolves in.
3) cut out some of the reviews.

(personally, I'd edit some of the text about the book too but you're a different writer than I am)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.