Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but my searches didn't find anything.

The Kindle 2 license/terms of use states that there may be fees for wireless usage for things like using the browser, and that Amazon will maintain a list of those charges "somewhere" on the Kindle product pages. However, I've found no such list while finding a number of non-Amazon web articles stating that, as of now, Amazon is not charging any such fees.

So I was just wondering if any of you more experienced Kindlers (I've had mine for less than a week) have any firmer information on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
As far as I'm aware there are no fees besides the 15 cent per megabyte they are now charging for files that you send them to be converted and sent back to your Kindle in a proper format.  I think even that fee can be avoided by having them email it to your computer to be manually moved onto your Kindle by USB, but not positive.  As for the rehtoric about charges and how they will be posted, etc, I am also pretty sure that's just legalese that allows them to say "Hey we warned you." in case they ever decide that the free Whispernet isn't feasible and needs to charge for things like web browsing.  This hasn't happened yet and is still free as far as I know, and don't know of any plans for it to change.  They just need that there in case they do decide to do it in the future.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scheherazade said:
As far as I'm aware there are no fees besides the 15 cent per megabyte they are now charging for files that you send them to be converted and sent back to your Kindle in a proper format. I think even that fee can be avoided by having them email it to your computer to be manually moved onto your Kindle by USB, but not positive. As for the rehtoric about charges and how they will be posted, etc, I am also pretty sure that's just legalese that allows them to say "Hey we warned you." in case they ever decide that the free Whispernet isn't feasible and needs to charge for things like web browsing. This hasn't happened yet and is still free as far as I know, and don't know of any plans for it to change. They just need that there in case they do decide to do it in the future.
Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much jibes with other unofficial info I've found: they're hedging their bets for now should they ever decide they want to start charging for it.

PS: Love the user name as it reminds me of two of my favorite musical works: the Rimsky-Korsakov symphonic suite and the album by Renaissance. :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You are right Scheherazade, if you have a file sent to your personal email address to put on your Kindle, there is no charge.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
NogDog said:
Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much jibes with other unofficial info I've found: they're hedging their bets for now should they ever decide they want to start charging for it.

PS: Love the user name as it reminds me of two of my favorite musical works: the Rimsky-Korsakov symphonic suite and the album by Renaissance. :)
Hah! People always assume the story, but yes it's actually more inspired from Rimsky-Korsakov, for me anyway. It's quite possibly my favorite classical piece ever. Funny story... I think I like it so much because my mom had to listen to it so much for her music appreciation course when I was little and she was still in college. Funnier story... I think I liked it so much at the time because they actually play pieces of it during The Smurfs! o_O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts