Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an ipod touch and love it so far. I want to get one for hubby as a gift and download a few books and things to it before giving it to him. We have a wireless network in our house and want to use that to connect to the iTouch, but I have a question. If I connect to the network, will that device show up somewhere that he can see? I don't know how that end of things work and wonder if he'd be able to see that another device is using the network besides our computers. Would it be listed somewhere if I connect to it at all at some point in time, or would it only show up if I am currently connected to the wireless??  Anyone know??  I don't want to spoil any surprise!

·
Registered
377 Posts
You could always go to the local Starbucks or other free wireless spots around town and be sure that you won't be discovered.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I might depend on your network configurations and technically savvy he is but I would say probably not unless he's looking for it.  If anything, he may see it under the "my network places" on your PC but only if you've added it so you can access the ipod from the PC.  I have a basic secure wireless network (linksys router) and no other devices logged onto the network show up on the network list.  At least not that I've ever seen.  My hubby is technologically challenged so I could totally get away with it but if your hubby is a network pro, maybe not.  :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool...thanks! I was just afraid he'd get some message on the computer about an item being added to the network and then he'd question what it was! Or if for some reason he went into the network stuff (because my luck we'd have a problem with the network and he'd have to fix something!) and saw it listed as being on the network. I've been using mine at the nearest library since I got them so it didn't raise any questions, but doing it at home would sure be easier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You're so lucky... Hubby's Itouch is in Arkansas today (entroute to NC).  I am bursting with anticipation of getting it, loading it with the apps he'll love and giving it to him!  Hopefully, tomorrow will be the big day!  ;D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most network routers keep a log of things called MAC Addresses.  Every device that is issued an Internet Address by your wireless router will be logged but it is very Cryptic and can only be seen if you go looking for it inside the router logs on the device.  The iPod Touch also isn't identified, just the address making it hard to know it unless you know the address of the Touch already... Which he doesn't...  ;)

Chris

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Just turn the wi-fi off on the iPod Touch.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Chris, for the info. Sounds like I'm pretty safe to use our home network then without him finding out. I think I can safely say he won't be going thru the router logs looking for stuff. I'll turn the wi-fi off when not using it, and I should be good to go. Thanks to all who responded...you've been a great help!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update and FYI.....I logged into our network with my itouch and then logged into our router. It does indeed show up under "my network" tab. "my network" shows all of the computers, etc. that are using the signal. I turned the wifi off on the itouch and then logged out and back into the router. It was still listed there. I guess once it assigns an address it will remain there??  I suppose if I go into my itouch and reset the network settings it may clear it out of the router since I would no longer be joined to the network, but I don't imagine that he will have a reason to go looking in the router unless we have problems with something. I have learned quite a lot about networks and routers during all of this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts