Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First one had unreadable sunfade. #2 Seemed fine for about 2 weeks then sunfade on 1/3 of screen(which I could live with) and text gets lighter and more ghosting of previous page the longer I read. #3 Wireless would not connect. #4 Wireless would not connect...CS stated I was in very low signal area. I explained it was right beside my previous kindle that is connected with 5 bars. She talked to tech, came back and had me give her some readings from the 611 page. They would get back to me. That was Thursday.

I had decided to just keep my kindle that was connecting because it was readable with Ted's font hack. But the more I think about I don't want to "settle".
I am going to call CS again on Monday. The last time I called on Sunday the order for my replacement was "lost".

This is frustrating and I am loosing my "Kindle Joy".  If I ever get one that works properly I may have to splurge and get an Oberon cover to celebrate! :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with two issues, connectivity and screen fading. 
Good luck with #5.
deb

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Hang in there sbell1.  I am sorry you are having trouble with your Kindles.  I agree you shouldn't have to "settle" for an almost good unit - keep after CS and your Kindle Joy will return when you finally get the right one!  You definitely deserve to splurge on an Oberon when that happens!!!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Kindle.  You'll have to get the Celtic Cross Oberon cover to protect it when you get a good one. :)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It almost makes be feel guilty for having a perfectly functioning Kindle since day one. I keep checking for sun fade and bent corners...almost like a new mom checks her newborn every few minutes!!

Good luck with number 5. You deserve a perfectly functioning one, you PAID for it!!! And as a reward for your patience you need an Oberon, a skin, and a bag...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Mercy.... you have been through so much!!  But, try not to get discouraged.  One day when you are merrily reading away on your fully functioning Kindle that you could not possibly do without.... you'll think it was all worth it.  And, I totally agree with egh34 that this calls for an Oberon cover, a skin, and a bag...or two..... or  three.... or........
     Oops, sorry.... you can tell I hang out in the Accessories area a lot......

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Seems like bad things always happen to nice people!  You and DD with your kindle problems.  It appears DD's problems have settled down, maybe yours will also.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow sorry you had so much trouble with your Kindle purchase.
I wouldn't "settle" either.
Good luck with #5

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ick! 
I gave up after #3, even though that wasn't working right.
#1 - complete sun fade out
#2 - partial sun fade out
#3 - screen had lines in the e-ink

I debated getting a #4 for a few days but was too frustrated so just kept #2 & decided to read in the shade.  :-\

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
sbell1 said:
Thanks all...I just wanted a little sympathy from my Kindle Buddies. ;)
You've got my sympathy, sbell1. And I know whereof I speak. ;)

Keep trying. Perfection is possible. My Kyra is working great. Yesterday, I skinned her and put a screen protector on her to officially make her feel welcome.

See my post below, if you haven't already. Do the sunfade test quickly, turning 5 -7 pages while the Kindle is cool. Don't let the direct beaming of the sun on the screen heat it up too much. Just a theory, but I think there could be something to it.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,7677.msg158889.html#msg158889

·
Registered
163 Posts
I feel much sympathy for anyone with kindle problems, especially repeat, multiple problems.  I had to replace my K1 only once (knock on wood).

Here's hoping this one will be free of defects!  I don't think you should settle on a $359 unit that is clearly not working as advertised (ie, can be read in the sun and works with whispernet if within range). 

Good Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's wishing you luck at last, sbell1. My Kindle 2 has functioned flawlessly from the first and I would feel lost without it now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Oh wow, that is a lot of Kindles to have to go through.  I think Amazon should send you an extra Kindle for all the trouble you had to go through.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like # 5 may be a keeper! Wireless connected, text does not fade.

I will feel better after using it a few weeks just to be sure.

Thanks for all the good wishes. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Glad to hear it is looking good! I, too, had to go through 6 Kindles before I got one that worked correctly. Whew, what a trial. DH keeps joking about me being their quality control...

EllenR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts