Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to finally get my first ever Kindle - a paperwhite, I've finally decided. So now, do I want "with" or "without special offers"?  It says they don't display while reading...so, why pay the extra $20 to get rid of them?  Looking for opinions. Thanks :)
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The ads are not shown while reading, correct, but they show up on the home screen, as a banner in the bottom, and as a screensaver while your Kindle is on standby/or when you first turn on your PW.  I still have one Kindle with SO.  If the ad design is creative and looks like an artsy BW picture with minimal text, it doesn't bother me.  If however, it is a text heavy ad, or just a book cover which wasn't customized to look better as a BW one page ad, it bothers me.  Further, the banner at the bottom is distracting, esp. if you use the cover view.  If you just use the list view, the banner is not so bad (except again if the design is just horrible).  Also, from what I understand from those who own a PW, it sort of defeats the purpose of the auto on/off feature of the cover, since you end up with an interim step of swiping the screen once your open the cover, in order to get back to your book.

Is it worth the $20? - I think so.  (BTW, should you want to "check" to see if the SO are super deals from time to time, once you opt out, you can always opt in (and then out again) as much as you want without additional charges.)  HTH.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
i'd rather spend the 20 dollars on books, so i like the SO.  i see the screensaver for maybe 10 seconds when i turn it on, and since i usually go right into a book, i don't notice it on the home screen.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My last two Kindles both have "Special Offers", and I would gladly do it again to save a little money at purchase time and because you occasionally see an offer that you will use.  

I find the screen saver and banner ad at the bottom of the home screen to be unobtrusive.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some poeple really object to being subjected to any form of advertising. I probably fall into that camp, but the more compelling argument to me for getting rid of special offers is the ability open the Amazon PW cover and find yourself immediately in your book where you left off, no extra swipe required. The combination of the anti-advertising first argument and the lazy second argument makes it worth $20 to me to go without special offers. Others would rather keep their money.

It's nice to have the choice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You could always buy the Kindle with special offers and then opt out later if the ads bother you.  The net cost is the same, and that way you don't spend the extra $20 unnecessarily.

That being said, I did opt out of special offers almost immediately and haven't regretted it.  I love opening my kindle cover directly to content rather than a swipe screen.  If you follow Kindle Boards or other blogs, you're certain to find out about the best special offers and can opt in long enough to sign up then opt back out - no additional charges.

·
Registered
9,660 Posts
I recommend saving the twenty bucks and being eligible for the increasingly rare special offer that is worth something.

As mentioned, if you find them intolerable, you can always buy out later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
I recommend saving the twenty bucks and being eligible for the increasingly rare special offer that is worth something.

As mentioned, if you find them intolerable, you can always buy out later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
^^^^ This.

·
Registered
466 Posts
In case the OP lives in a sales tax state: Did anyone ever determine for sure if you avoid paying sales tax on the $20 if you wait and opt out later instead of bundling the SO Opt-out with the Kindle purchase?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the special offers on my K4 and it doesn't bother me at all. It is just an ad instead of the screen saver and the device operates otherwise the same (with a little ad on the bottom of the homescreen). I would never buy out of the offers on that device.

When I got the Paperwhite, I also ordered it with special offers - but it bothered me more on the Paperwhite because it adds an extra step to using the device. You now have to turn the device on and then swipe the screen to get to your books. So I eventually paid to remove it. Since I bought the Amazon cover that automatically turns the device on, I got annoyed at having to sweep the screen to get to my book. It is not a big deal, but I prefer it now that I can just open the cover and the device automatically takes me right to the page I left off on.

That said, there is no down side to getting the special offers, seeing how you like it, and then paying to remove them later if they bother you. And that helps to spread out the cost if you are tight on spending cash. I waited to remove them until I had saved a little extra spending money.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
As others have said, only YOU can decide if the SO's are a non-issue for you.  Or a significant annoyance.

The thing to realize is that if you get one with SO's, you can 'buy out' at a later date. 

SOMETIMES (less often of late, but sometimes) there are decent offers:  books regularly $6 to $8 for a buck, or a percentage off accessories, etc. 

Also, once you've paid full price, you can turn them on and off as you wish if you see one come up that looks good -- there's a thread here somewhere that people will post in if they notice something that's more than just an advertisement.

With the PW, if you have SO's and the 'auto on/off' cover, when you open it, the lock screen with the ad will display.  You'll have to swipe to remove it. Without SO's, the cover will open to wherever you left off last.  Some people prefer to not have the extra action; to others it's no big deal.

For the records, all the ad images are absolutely G rated -- nothing even a little bit questionable, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for the honest feedback! I truly appreciate it!  Looks like I will save the $20 now since I can opt-out later :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Enjoy your new Kindle Paperwhite!  Be sure and let us know when you get it...

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
scarlet said:
i'd rather spend the 20 dollars on books, so i like the SO. i see the screensaver for maybe 10 seconds when i turn it on, and since i usually go right into a book, i don't notice it on the home screen.
This. I don't even notice the screensavers most of the time. The few times I've actually noticed them, they ended up being super helpful and I actually liked seeing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a  PW. 

I bought it with SO but got rid of them.

It was very difficult to do, and Amazon support almost concluded that I had a bad PW.  Finally got it worked out.
It should be easy.

I like it much better without the SO.  Just open the cover to just where I was reading.

I guess I might miss a deal or two.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
SoCal said:
I have a PW.

I bought it with SO but got rid of them.

It was very difficult to do, and Amazon support almost concluded that I had a bad PW. Finally got it worked out.
It should be easy.

I like it much better without the SO. Just open the cover to just where I was reading.

I guess I might miss a deal or two.
For me, it was quite easy.

The way it's supposed to work is you just go the Manage Your Devices section of Manage Your Kindle. One of the colums says 'special offers' and it says whether you're subscribed or not. You can click the link there, for each device, and toggle it on and off. The first time you turn them OFF, you pay for it, after that, you can switch at will. Next time you connect wirelessly, the kindle will update to show ads or not.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Twenty bucks is chump change and the world is full of superfluous advertising.  I've been next to people with SO Kindles, had the chance to peek at their Special Offers, and this is what I saw:  move ads for ONE FOR THE MONEY or NEW DAWN.  No thank you, no thank you, no thank you. 

Paying a little bit more to be rid of the "eye junk" on the screen is well worth the small cost. 

1 - 20 of 24 Posts