Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wool Omnibus

You must read this book!

Set in a future in which humanity is condemned to live in a massive, underground silo, memory of life on the surface relegated to childrens' picture books and the video projection of the ruin of a city (Atlanta, it seems) on the top level, the Wool Omibus is a collection of 5 novellas forming a single, continuous story.

The title, it seems, refers to the wool pads used to clean the viewports of the cameras providing the the view of the outside. The city the outside stands in ruins; the atmosphere is choking and toxic; the people who go outside to clean have been banished and will never come back.

The first novella (free for Kindle) concerns the sherriff of the silo, who becomes convinced that the video projection of the ruins and toxic waste outside is an illusion propagated by the rulers, and he decides to go outside to prove it. When he gets there, he sees the vivid colors and beauty predicted by his wife (who preceded him by 2 years), until …

Five stars because that's as high as I can go.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
JimCrigler said:
The title, it seems, refers to the wool pads used to clean the viewports of the cameras providing the the view of the outside. The city the outside stands in ruins; the atmosphere is choking and toxic; the people who go outside to clean have been banished and will never come back.
I took it as a double entendre, also referring to the idea of "pulling the wool over someone's eyes". ;)

I read the first story, liked it well enough, but have not yet felt compelled to read more. (I'm a bit burned out these days on dystopian SF.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yup, outstanding book.  3,754 reviews (averaged to a full 5 stars) on Amazon is testament to it.
Just whatever you do, don't read first/second/third shift first.  They're prequels but would ruin a lot of wool if you read them first.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I read the Wool Omnibus as part of my January Sci-Fi theme and really liked it.  I enjoyed Wool 1 as a stand alone story but thought it really took off with Wool 3.

Betsy

·
Registered
305 Posts
maryjf45 said:
What does Patrick B mean?
He means don't read Shift before reading Wool. Shift is the prequel but start with Wool. I totally agree.

(is that what you were asking?)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
A fascinating concept. Not my kind of story, but I enjoyed the read. And since Hugh is one of our own, I will definitely be in line to see the movie when it comes out.

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
NogDog said:
I took it as a double entendre, also referring to the idea of "pulling the wool over someone's eyes". ;)

I read the first story, liked it well enough, but have not yet felt compelled to read more. (I'm a bit burned out these days on dystopian SF.)
This is my feeling. The first story had a quite good "O Henry" type twist. . . .but I'm absolutely not a fan of dystopian anything so I have no desire to read any further.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I downloaded the first one to try out. The summary brought to mind the excellent Fritz Leiber short story published in Galaxy Magazine some years ago: The Moon is Green. I went and downloaded the Leiber story from Gutenberg and reread it. It still makes an impression on me.

Mike

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
jmiked said:
I downloaded the first one to try out. The summary brought to mind the excellent Fritz Leiber short story published in Galaxy Magazine some years ago: The Moon is Green. I went and downloaded the Leiber story from Gutenberg and reread it. It still makes an impression on me.

Mike
It's also free on Amazon: The Moon is Green :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah these books are fantastic!

I did an interview with Hugh Howey on my blog just a couple weeks ago, he's really a fantastic guy!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts