Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems strange to me how word of mouth happened so much more quickly and happily before the onset of the internet.

Books took off and had a bunch of fans just from the Pony Express.

I know. There weren't as many back then.

It still seems weird.

I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dunno.

I get a kick out of telling my beloved kitty that his picture is in people's homes. (he's on the back cover)
He doesn't seem too impressed.

Fortunately, he's a house cat and his word of mouth is minimal. :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Was it truly word of mouth, or was it that a trad publisher paid to have the book on a television program (which had much larger audiences than today) and then everyone was talking about it? There was a lot more gatekeeping and control over things behind the scenes before the internet.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paranormal Kitty said:
Was it truly word of mouth, or was it that a trad publisher paid to have the book on a television program (which had much larger audiences than today) and then everyone was talking about it? There was a lot more gatekeeping and control over things behind the scenes before the internet.
I'm a history buff. I mean even before TV. People talked. They read a whole lot more, too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
CatherineM said:
I'm a history buff. I mean even before TV. People talked. They read a whole lot more, too.
Actually the percentage of people who read has not changed in over one hundred years :)

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I still think word of mouth is the biggest seller. I can't tell you how many people tag friends on my ads and say "these were the books I was telling you about" or say in my group "I've been telling my sister about your books and she finally read one and she's hooked." I've even had people say "my husband asked me why I was laughing so hard and then realized I was reading your books and told his sister I'm a crazy person and can't be bothered the day your books come out and now she's reading them." Quite frankly, word of mouth is still the best weapon we've got.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Amanda M. Lee said:
I still think word of mouth is the biggest seller. I can't tell you how many people tag friends on my ads and say "these were the books I was telling you about" or say in my group "I've been telling my sister about your books and she finally read one and she's hooked." I've even had people say "my husband asked me why I was laughing so hard and then realized I was reading your books and told his sister I'm a crazy person and can't be bothered the day your books come out and now she's reading them." Quite frankly, word of mouth is still the best weapon we've got.
Yep. Advertising and frequent releases makes them visible. Word of mouth makes them soar and stick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts