Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the grammar pet peeves thread we were discussing kindergarten words that creep into adult conversation, such as Steve Jobs describing the iPhone as the "funnest".

Sometimes it might be more than a word. For example, when my one year old daughter was learning to put sentences together instead of "What's the matter with you?" she said: "Mare-shoe". It became so habitual with me when speaking to family members that I used it thirty years later in my new daughter-in-law's presence and had to explain.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
"Mom, are you going to make that terribly yucky chicken tonight?"

The item on the menu was Teriyaki chicken.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
When my son was 3 years old, he started jumping off the sofa, his bed--just about anything he could--while yelling GERMONIRO!

Here we are 23 years later, and in my head "Geronimo" just is not correct. And when I approach something new that's a littloe bit scary and I know I have to just jump right in, I almost always mutter GERMONIRO! under my breath.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Years ago my daughter couldn't say tarter sauce. It always came out turtle sauce. That's what we call it here. You can imagine how difficult it is for me at work (I work at Red Lobster) to NOT call it turtle sauce when speaking to my guests! LOL!

When my son used to get mad at me he would tell me I was mean and rotten and had stinky toes. Apparently having stinky toes is the ultimate insult to him. Now when they're being rotten I tell them they have stinky toes.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since I don't have kids and I don't see my little cousins that often I miss their cute verbal slips...So I'll write about my parents. When I was twelve my family was living on a military base in Japan and I spent a lot of my time trying to teach my dad how to speak basic Japanese greetings. One day when we were travelling on the toll roads I was teaching him how to say 'you're welcome' in Japanese which is:
DO ITASHIMASHITE

It sounds like 'don't touch my mustache' spoken really quickily with a lot of 'Ee's and so on. We stopped at a toll booth and my dad says word for word really slowly...'don't touch my mustache' (which was funny at the time cuz dad did have a mustache) and apparently the toll booth worker spoke english and the worker and I bursted out laughing...we couldn't help it.

Although its been nearly eights years since that happened, I sometimes reply to my dad after he say thank you with a..."Don't touch my mustache".

This is how its supposed to be pronounced: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/language/quickjapanese/quickjapanese06.html

·
Registered
740 Posts
My niece calls Mosquito "Scapeeto" and I have started calling it that and also when she has 2 things she says she has "Two Ones", I say that too now  ;D

·
Registered
621 Posts
The only ones I remember {and still occasionally use] are "purtle" for purple. "smentsmicker" for cement mixer, and "glubs" for gloves.

Then there is "harbase" which meant library.  ??? I have no idea why! This is the word I chose to use as a "this person is legit" password for collecting the kid from school. {The school required it for all kids up to the 4th grade} The kid was told to ask the person picking him up for the "magic word" before leaving school with a person he did not know. I also told the school secretary to ask for the password before letting him leave with a stranger. The kid was MUCH better at asking for the word than the secretary was!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My 3 yr twin nephews call motorcycles 'go-go'.  Their mother hates it, but I think it is too cute.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
DO ITASHIMASHITE
Ha. Don't touch my mustache is one that I occasionally use in English instead of you're welcome, which naturally confuses a lot of people. I also say Gesundheit when someone sneezes. That would be a "funner" thread too. Somebody else start it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I don't have kids...or a mustache...and we always said Gesundheit for sneezes...

Anyway, when I was a kid (not long ago) it wasn't anything I said but was an ongoing joke with my Dad and me over an event. He told me I needed to use elbow grease when I was washing dishes so I looked under the sink for the elbow grease and couldn't find any; he let me pull everything out and was laughing at me as I put it all back. He then told me to tell my Mom to pick some up from the store. ;D

-sailor

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
Since I don't have kids and I don't see my little cousins that often I miss their cute verbal slips...So I'll write about my parents. When I was twelve my family was living on a military base in Japan and I spent a lot of my time trying to teach my dad how to speak basic Japanese greetings. One day when we were travelling on the toll roads I was teaching him how to say 'you're welcome' in Japanese which is:
DO ITASHIMASHITE

It sounds like 'don't touch my mustache' spoken really quickily with a lot of 'Ee's and so on. We stopped at a toll booth and my dad says word for word really slowly...'don't touch my mustache' (which was funny at the time cuz dad did have a mustache) and apparently the toll booth worker spoke english and the worker and I bursted out laughing...we couldn't help it.

Although its been nearly eights years since that happened, I sometimes reply to my dad after he say thank you with a..."Don't touch my mustache".

This is how its supposed to be pronounced: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/language/quickjapanese/quickjapanese06.html
OMG, I'm laughing so hard

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
sailor said:
I don't have kids...or a mustache...and we always said Gesundheit for sneezes...

Anyway, when I was a kid (not long ago) it wasn't anything I said but was an ongoing joke with my Dad and me over an event. He told me I needed to use elbow grease when I was washing dishes so I looked under the sink for the elbow grease and couldn't find any; he let me pull everything out and was laughing at me as I put it all back. He then told me to tell my Mom to pick some up from the store. ;D

-sailor
Oh my. My Dad did the same thing, but I was going to take a bath and he said to use elbow grease. I came out of the bathroom and told him I couldn't find any. He about fell of the couch laughing.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My daughter had just started high school and came home with a new phrase. It was cold and when we walked inside she said look "I have T H O" and I asked waht that meant. The letters stood for
tiddy hard on
. I didn't know if I should laugh or be appalled.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
When my son was 2 years old he went potty in the toilet for the first time.  He loved horses, so I bought him a stuffed horse doll (he still loves it).  He called him "DooDoo", LOL!!!  Its a family joke to ask him where his "DooDoo" is.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
One day, when my daughter came home from high school in a particularly bad mood, she said "well, this was a craptacular day". The word was memorable enough to use in my latest book. She's now 20 and I work with a lot of 20 year olds so I've learned that "swank" means cool, which is funny because I'm reading a novel set in the 30's where the same word is used to describe a classy nightclub. My young work colleague also says "snap" a lot, which means that something went well, or is cool. I'm thinking about creating a new dictionary....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Debra Purdy Kong said:
My young work colleague also says "snap" a lot, which means that something went well, or is cool. I'm thinking about creating a new dictionary....
My son says "snap" a lot too, but he uses it instead of s--- or any other similar word that would get him soap in his mouth from me! ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm going to France this summer with my daughter's high school French class and I don't speak the language.  She is very helpful and tries to teach me some of the words, but I just don't get it and there are sounds in that language that I just can't seem to make.  She tried to teach me how to say "You're welcome".  I swear it sounds like she is saying "the crayon".  Every time I try to say it she just laughs at me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Beast- is the new word here.
It means something is extremely cool. ie. Those shoes are BEAST.  :-\

My little ones used to call the washing machine a "washer cleaner"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts