Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been one to look up words in the dictionary while I am reading, mostly because the dictionary was never handy. I'd just puzzle out the word and keep on going. But, because of the look up feature in the Kindle, I have been looking up words and I've learned quite a few new ones, to my surprise! On this thread I thought people might want to share their new vocabulary additions...

Today at lunch, I learned flamen which comes from Roman history and is "a priest serving a particular deity." I read it in The Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose, a book that is currently available for free at Amazon (link to the book and an interesting article by the author on this page).

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I learned irruption a few days ago. It was in a James Blish SF novel from the fifties, and shows up in Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad, as well as H. P. Lovecraft and a Thousand Nights and a Night.

I thought it was poor proofing until I looked it up.

ir·rupt (-rpt)
intr.v. ir·rupt·ed, ir·rupt·ing, ir·rupts
1. To break or burst in.
2. Ecology To increase rapidly and irregularly in number:

Ya gotta love being able to just type a word into the search field and have it search the dictionary as well as everything else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny you should bring this up, Leslie:  What you said could have come from me.  My first "oldie but goodie" book was 'Little Women'.  Knew I had read it before but I'm thinking it was a "young person" version- sure don't remember all the unknown words...or how very LONG it is.  LOL.  One day I decided to start looking up words and it is just the coolest thing- I feel so SMART!  I've always had an expanded vocabulary because I read a lot and so it continues- yippee!  I've had my Kindle about 2-3 weeks and I'm so in love- carry him with me everywhere I go, my family just rolls their eyes- they are SOOOO jealous, I think.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shizu said:
There's so much I can't list. :eek:
I'm with you Shizu! (hey, that rhymes!!!)

Seriously I use it frequently. I am reading Gone With The Wind right now. My sister first read it when she was about 12 or 13 (and has probably read it at least 50 times since). I find myself looking up a word or two in each chapter - I love the convenience of the built in dictionary. At the same time I am in awe of my sister's vocabulary at such a young age!! (She always was the smarty-pants of the family!)

BTW, the pic of your puppy is TOO precious!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
colleen said:
I'm with you Shizu! (hey, that rhymes!!!)

Seriously I use it frequently. I am reading Gone With The Wind right now. My sister first read it when she was about 12 or 13 (and has probably read it at least 50 times since). I find myself looking up a word or two in each chapter - I love the convenience of the built in dictionary. At the same time I am in awe of my sister's vocabulary at such a young age!! (She always was the smarty-pants of the family!)

BTW, the pic of your puppy is TOO precious!!!
Thanks Colleen. :) Maybe I'll put a bigger picture of him in the pet thread. ;)

·
0 Posts
I learned a new word, too. Kindler. I now refer to myself as a Kindler. I looked it up and it wasn't in the dictionary, but with all of us Kindler's out here, one of these days it will be!  ;)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since I am going back and reading the classics (jane austen and so forth) I've been coming across a great numbe of words not so commonly used in the US or in mordern casual english diction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I came across the word "coruscated" today in this sentence..."...then, indeed, his eyes suddenly coruscated, and he turned to me almost excitedly." It means his eyes suddenly flashed. Love that look up feature.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I learned apocryphal tonight!

definition: (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.

If everyone knew this word but me - I apologize for my interuption. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Kirstin said:
I learned apocryphal tonight!

definition: (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.

If everyone knew this word but me - I apologize for my interuption. :)
As in "the pictures of Kindle 2 on Boy Genius are apocryphal" :)

Ann

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
As in "the pictures of Kindle 2 on Boy Genius are apocryphal" :)

Ann
Exxxxcelent. ;D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
COLLEEN:  Did you get gone with the wind off of any of the freebie sites or was it a purchase?  I have the hardcover and have read it and reread it countless times...  I have looked for it on some free sites but gave up. 

I so love the spoof skit on Carol Burnett when she strolls down the stairs as Scarlett with a curtain rod dress and the late great Harvey Korman compliments her dress and she says "just something I saw hanging in the window." 

Oops dating myself you probably have no clue as to what I am talking about.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I occasionally would take the time to pull out the dictionary when reading dead tree books.With my Kindle I have lost count of the word looked up, 2 today; of course I can't recall either of them. Luv that feature of the Kindle.  ;D I wish I had kept a list now.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sjc said:
COLLEEN: Did you get gone with the wind off of any of the freebie sites or was it a purchase? I have the hardcover and have read it and reread it countless times... I have looked for it on some free sites but gave up.

I so love the spoof skit on Carol Burnett when she strolls down the stairs as Scarlett with a curtain rod dress and the late great Harvey Korman compliments her dress and she says "just something I saw hanging in the window."

I do!! LOL

L

·
Registered
829 Posts
sjc said:
COLLEEN: Did you get gone with the wind off of any of the freebie sites or was it a purchase? I have the hardcover and have read it and reread it countless times... I have looked for it on some free sites but gave up.

HA! I found Gone with the Wind: http://feedbooks.com/author/297

I couldn't remember where I'd downloaded it from. And YES - I remember that skit. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sjc said:

Oh, yes I do!!! I think it's one of the best things CB & Family ever did. Dinah Shore is in it too. She plays Melanie/Melody. You can watch it on youtube. It's in two parts. There's also Tim Conway as the little old fireman with Harvey Korman. Another one of my favorites.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
sjc said:

OMG...that was one of my favorite skits of hers!!! I used to love that show :)))

·
Registered
165 Posts
pusillanimous - lacking courage or conviction; marked by contemptible timidity.

From Gone With The Wind.  I had NO idea what it meant!!!  LOVE that dictionary look up feature!

·
Registered
52 Posts
SJC- I know what you are talking about on the Carol Burnett show- it was hysterical!  "Gone with the Wind" is my favorite book of all time.  I too have a very old copy and too funny:  I JUST finished it again right before I got my Kindle.  Was going to make it my first download (seemed appropriate) but couldn't find it.  That being said, I didn't really know what I was doing (being a newbie and all) and I would guess it is out there somewhere on a free site.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts