Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just wanted to share some words of inspiration from former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief, Jim Shooter.

The guy KNOWS storytelling, and I thought that even though he's referring to the comic book form, his storytelling rules are pretty universal.

Especially for those of us writing novels that are part of a series. Here's the quote:

While Marvel editor-in-chief in 1982, Shooter detailed what he considered the necessary qualities for a good comic book story:

The characters must be introduced.
Their situation must be established.
The conflict must be introduced.
Suspense must be built.
A climax must be reached.
A resolution must be achieved.

. . . When I evaluate a story, should one of the essential elements listed above be missing - say, the characters are not introduced properly when they are brought onstage - I immediately suspect that the author of the "story" knoweth not what he ith [sic] doing.

Second, I look for how well the story is told. Is the conflict worthwhile? Is the climax exciting? Is the resolution satisfying? Is the plot good? Are there interesting twists and turns? Is there a theme? Is there character development? Is it dramatic? Is it entertaining? This is the really important stuff. It should go without saying that a writer or a prospective writer should know enough to meet the fundamental requirements of a story. It's the power and the passion and drama and characterization that I really look for.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you both liked it.

I love finding quotes like this; they are great inspirational things for self-evaluation on WIPs. At least they are for me. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a great quote.  I stuck it in a file so I won't loose it.  I think I'll print it out and hang it up where I will see it as I write.  Six steps to building a good story that need to be kept in mind when evaluating what you have written.  If you can't see those six things in your story it probably needs to be worked over and improved.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup.

I rediscovered the quote recently and have done pretty much the same thing... keeping it on hand for the revision stage, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.