Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for wordstoruntogetherlikethis? I am reading my first Kindle Book and every once in a while there are a string of words that run together with no spaces. Obviously this is just a formatting issue, but is this something I should expect to see in every book or is this book the exception to the rule?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sadly, yes. It's the underlying file that someone didn't proof and it's all too common from some sources. Most, however, are pretty good about it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I've seen that also.  But I see hyphenated words in the middle of a paragraph more frequently :)
It's annoying, but you kind of get used to it after a while and read past it.
Hopefully as e-books catch on more, the proofreading and formatting will improve.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I've only had this once, but it was small. "fi" would not show up on the screen. instead there was the . in its place. ex: finger-> .nger

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If you bought the book from Amazon you can email them with the order number, and tell them it has format issues and request a refund.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The first book I read on my kindle was like that.  I blamed the editor because it also had spelling and other symbol errors.  It was an author I wasn't familiar with but read it b/c it was a freebie.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
Even if you don't feel it's bad enough that you want a refund you should probably alert Amazon anyway.  I have the impression they want to know about things like this so they can fix them. . .

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Just a comment...

If you go to the book page at Amazon and scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a box for "Feedback" which gives you four choices. Several folks have suggested using that to send comments to Amazon about poorly formatted Kindle books...by doing so, your comment is linked directly to the book for their follow-up.

L

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Leslie, that is a great idea. Then if it isn't "bad" enough someone wants a refund it can still be reported for fixing by publisher. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
red1 said:
Leslie, that is a great idea. Then if it isn't "bad" enough someone wants a refund it can still be reported for fixing by publisher.
Exactly. The book I am reading now, The Final Salute, falls into this category. It has some funky formatting errors (September 11 is always written September II, what's up with that?) which I'd like report, but I am not going to ask for my money back.

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Justification errors (too many spaces or no spaces between words) seem to crop up more often when you use the largest two font sizes. I suspect that this is a failing of the method the Kindle software uses to interpret full text justification, not of the original manuscript. There are also flaws in the DTP software that creates the Kindle file and perhaps in the distribution stream that could be responsible.

Proof reading a book every time it is revised to look for conversion errors is not only impractical it’s impossible. Amazon’s current method of distribution does not permit replacement of a title with a revision.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't understand the tech issues involved.  But I have used ereaders since the early 1990's.  The Rocketbook, the RCA 1100 (I believe it was called), I've had 2 Sony models and Kindle 1 and now Kindle 2, and as much as I love my kindles, kindle books have more format errors than all the others I've read combined over about 16 years. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not.  I only buy books from Amazon from big publishers, Penguin, Bataan, ect.  I do not buy anything simply converted from PD,  (I edit for PG so I know how to get those myself), and I  still come across 20% of the Kindle books I buy that have format issues.  By this I mean characters instead of letter, type over type, wordsrunningtogetherlikethisforpagesonend.  I bought one book for my Sony, published by Penguin, formated perfect for Sony, bought the same one, same publisher, on Kindle and it had format issues that made it literally unreadable.  I don't understand the tech issues, but I do know that if I buy a Kindle book, I check it immediately for format issues, as they don't always show on the sample, and then I can return it if I need to.  I don't feel the need on my Sony, I am confident and just buy the book to read later.  I've had a couple with odd word spacing on Sony, and some typos, but nothing "really unreadable".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got a reply from Amazon that they would like me to call them "so that we can work with you directly to troubleshoot your issue.  Also, when calling, please have your Kindle fully charged and connected to the charger when you call."

I am not sure when I will have time to do that, but I will report back here once i have done it and let you know what they said.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have had them do that, they went through and documented all the locations I read problems in text to them on and they contacted the publishers and fixed them.  Ifelt like I had done good for future readers  ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts