Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a (very, very brief) post about it on the new website I'm building: http://www.tometools.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

...which states...

I will be posting KindleProcessor to this site very soon (within the next week), and it will be in BETA for a little while. I'll be seeing if some nice authors would be willing to help me out with testing of the features and functionality (and ease of use/likability) of the tool in its new form.

Planned features for initial BETA release (v0.01):
  • Manage your books on the server (main screen).
  • Add new books
  • Edit existing books
  • Delete existing books
  • Input book content into chapters
  • Format chapters with selectable choices/options and WYSIWYG text editor

This tool is planned to be released for free, and its use will be unlimited. There may be a pay option for users who want to store multiple books (like more than 3) on the server if they edit their materials very often or simply want them to remain for ease of updating things later. Such an option would likely be a very cheap subscription, and I'm still trying to decide if I want to do it or not. But, the base functionality will be free to use without limitation.
If anyone is not familiar with the current KindleProcessor, you can visit its website at http://www.kindleprocessor.com. Basically, this is a free version of that software (and KindleProcessor will be removed after TomeTools goes live with the KP tool on it) with quite a few changes. For anyone who's been following it, the major changes are:

• You don't have to upload a .txt file anymore. You actually do the editing of the file on the website in a WYSIWYG editor (which can easily accept copy/paste from Word and preserve Kindle-friendly formatting and remove the not-so-Kindle-friendly formatting......
  • It's free.
  • It will have support from me and anyone else in the community who is familiar with it. Free comes with a trade-off of taking away the unlimited, anytime support.

I'll be looking for BETA testers for the tool soon, so, if you're interested, feel free to post your interest here. Or, feel free to discuss the tool. Or, call me a madman. Whatever you want.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Franklin Eddy said:
How will this be different from Calibre?
I suppose I can speculate on this question, as I don't use Calibre - I don't know it's features inside and out or the workflow.

Basically, what I can gather about Calibre is that it's primarily designed for readers who want to transition an eBook into a different format, find new books to buy, and so on and so forth. It also has some functionality for converting an HTML document into an eBook for you.

KindleProcessor takes the text of your book and processes it based on instructions it receives. For instance:

You select a chapter to work on, it brings up the "Title" input box for that chapter (and you input something like Chapter 1, etc.), and a box below that contains the body text. Copy/paste it over from your Word processor, hit the "strip" button, and it removes all unnecessary junk that word processors like to add in this day and age (removing special formatting marks, such as the infamous "em dash", curly quotes, and other things that don't translate well into HTML), as well as all the unnecessary background styles and code.

It does all this automatically through the process. When you're done adding your chapters, you are presented with a final screen to process the eBook. The final screen has some overall options and settings you can change if you prefer one thing over another (such as margins, built-in graphics, a few stylistic things, and so on). When you hit the Publish button, it processes the file, adding HTML code, styles, and everything else as needed based on your choices. Edited to add: So, you don't have to check the HTML of the document. You don't even have to know anything HTML at all - you just copy/paste your text, tell the program how you want the end product to look based on stylistic options, and the software formats the manuscript with valid HTML from start to finish.

Edited to add: I suppose that this tool would fall before the part where you start using Calibre; the document produced by KindleProcessor (an HTML file) could be imported into Calibre, then you could use Calibre to export to multiple formats if you would like. (If I'm understanding how Calibre works precisely.)

So, it's more of a tool for authors going to production rather than readers managing their titles with some useful functionality for authors tacked on. Again, I don't use Calibre, so I'm saying all of this based solely upon what little I can glean from the website without actually getting the product and toying with it for some time.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Franklin Eddy said:
Brian, if it works well, it could become a very valuable tool. Let us know when it becomes available.
I suppose the description made sense, then. lol It's been highly valuable to me for three books now, it lets me go to market (after editing) from my paperback formatted book to eBook is less than an hour. You can even upload the file straight from the outputted file to KDP, or you can use another tool like Calibre if you wanted to turn it into different formats (if I'm reading how Calibre works correctly).

Ethan Cobb said:
Sounds like a really neat software. I could help beta test when you have things ready.
Great! I'll update this thread and send you a PM when it's ready for the testing phase. Should be soon, and it shouldn't require a great deal of testing. All I'm really having to do is convert it into PHPBB so I can use its sessions and user data to control the system. Not terribly difficult, but it does require numerous changes.

jackz4000 said:
Sounds great Brian. When pasted and "striped" does one then go back and manually add em dash or quotes?
No, the quotes are converted to different characters, and em dashes are converted to HTML-friendly characters. Normally, the word processor curly quotes and em dashes (and several other characters, there are a number of them) will turn into a diamond-shaped question mark symbol on an eReader/web page, so KP detects these troublesome things and converts them into something HTML processors like.

This new version will also preserve italics, underlines, and bold text, as well as a few other formatting marks, something the current tool doesn't support at this time. So, I'm excited about these new features.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oliewankanobe said:
I'm CRAZY interested. I'd pay for it, frankly.
Well, I've had the paid tool around for some time, but it doesn't have some of the improved features listed here. I'd rather make it free to use, and I may just do a donation button or sell ads to help support the hardware costs. Kind of like a "pay whatever you want" for the service, like some do with novels (free to read at first, then you can "tip" if it really helped you).

We're all strapped for cash and taking risks not knowing how a book will do. That's why the original KP tool was $0.99; I understand the risks and burdens of how expensive everything else can be for indies.

Doing a donation system/tip jar could help some of us struggling to get things put out professionally and in a quick amount of time. That way, if your book starts doing really well, maybe you'd come back and say, "Hey, this is a great tool. Now that I have some extra money from my book, I'll drop a $5 in the tip jar."

I've been told by people who've used the current tool that it's too cheap. People pay HTML formatters alot more than $0.99, but I'm not doing it for the money. I'm doing it to help others, and allowing others who feel generous to help me (in the form of a donation, in the form of helping others on the TomeTools forums, or however) feels alot better to me. The automated system does the work, so it's not like someone has to put in loads and loads of time to make sure it's all right - just the hardware costs of keeping it up and running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts