Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my co-workers has a "master plan" for me. This involves me learning about photography so when he retires, I could have a good shot at getting his job. So I see Scott Kelby's The Digital Photograhy Book in Kindle format. Its $9.99 and fantastic reviews so I get a sample. The frigging sample is his thanks, his bio and the table of content! Thanks for nothing Amazon!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have a lot of photography books. Since they tend to contain a lot of technical information in graphics and side by side comparisons of photos, I don't think they will translate well to e-book.

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
You can always buy it. . .check it out. . .and have 'em take it back if it's not good.  I wouldn't recommend this as a general practice, but if they don't give a decent sample, what can you do?  :)

Ann

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pidgeon92 said:
I have a lot of photography books. Since they tend to contain a lot of technical information in graphics and side by side comparisons of photos, I don't think they will translate well to e-book.
Good to know. Maybe I'll flip through a DTB copy and see if its worth me buying in any format.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
mom133d said:
Good to know. Maybe I'll flip through a DTB copy and see if its worth me buying in any format.
Absolutely.... Try your local library first, he is a very popular author so they likely have it there.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I have several photography books myself and have to agree with Pidgeon. That being said, I am still intrigued with having one of these books on my Kindle. There are times when I'm out with my camera and want to refer to my photography book and don't have it with me. I would probably have my Kindle with me, but I know I wouldn't lug the DTB. I had planned to check it out next time I made it to the book store. Guess I won't bother with the sample.

If you end up buying it let us know how it is.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mom133d said:
One of my co-workers has a "master plan" for me. This involves me learning about photography so when he retires, I could have a good shot at getting his job. So I see Scott Kelby's The Digital Photograhy Book in Kindle format. Its $9.99 and fantastic reviews so I get a sample. The frigging sample is his thanks, his bio and the table of content! Thanks for nothing Amazon!
I forget what book it was that I was sampling but it did get as far as the acknowledgements and that was it...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've had a few samples that were incredibly short, not giving enough to get any flavor of what the book might be. As far as photography books go, Scott Kelby is considered one of the better choices in authors of that type book.

·
Registered
426 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I was going to say the same thing. I have his 2nd Digital Photography book, and there are several pics that you might not see what he's talking about if the examples are on a Kindle.

·
Registered
869 Posts
mom133d said:
One of my co-workers has a "master plan" for me. This involves me learning about photography so when he retires, I could have a good shot at getting his job. So I see Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book in Kindle format. Its $9.99 and fantastic reviews so I get a sample. The frigging sample is his thanks, his bio and the table of content! Thanks for nothing Amazon!
Scott Kelby is a good, well-known photography/Graphic Designs expert. He is funny & knowledgeable. I would recommend his books and due to the subject manner, a book would be better than a Kindle book.

My two cents.

Marci

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
chynared21 said:
I forget what book it was that I was sampling but it did get as far as the acknowledgements and that was it...
I remember reading somewhere in one of the other threads that...

Samples are set as a percentage of the total number of pages the book has. I'll not sure on the exact percentage but it's something like 5% or 10%. If it's a shorter book you may not get anything in the sample. I think that percentage can be upped. I don't know if it's something that Amazon, the publisher or the author is responsible for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have this book in Kindle format and it isn't terrible from a formatting standpoint. I haven't read it cover to cover but glanced through it several times.

The table of contents probably has the worst formatting. This is because two reasons, 1 the chapter subtitles are fairly long (e.g. "Chapter Three. Shooting Weddings like a Pro: There is no retaking Wedding Photos. It's got to be right the first time." Even in a small font, that goes to two lines on Kindle screen. Then they use some sub-chapter headings and those are indented. The indent accompanied by the long titles gives an "odd" look in my opinion.

There are a lot of pictures. The pictures generally take up about half the screen. Some are larger. Typically you get text above and/ or below the picture but sometimes do to the way it falls, you'll get a picture on a page by itself.

The text reads pretty much like any other book on Kindle.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to use this as a reference book when your out shooting. I suppose if you read it and added notes and highlighting it would work as well as anything.

So I guess my personal opinion is I would not rule this book out for Kindle. It serves its purpose for me.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
sebat said:

Samples are set as a percentage of the total number of pages the book has. I'll not sure on the exact percentage but it's something like 5% or 10%. If it's a shorter book you may not get anything in the sample. I think that percentage can be upped. I don't know if it's something that Amazon, the publisher or the author is responsible for.
I just remembered what sample it was....The Monster of Florence. All I read was the list of characters and that was it. By the end of it, I was just as confused as when I started and still had not read any bit of the book itself. I know it's a decent sized book, I can only imagine how many pages of characters there are to go through in the DTV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have his books in DTB format.  Fantastic.  Thanks for the review with the Kindle one.  That would be great to have but I'm not sure I'd be able to use it to it's fullest.

I forgot that we can return them.  I haven't done that yet, but the book is so good I'd like to try the Kindle format as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sebat said:

I dl two samples of Junie B Jones books for my first grader, and it was just the table of contents I think. None of the actual book. Not too surprising I guess given it's a children's book but she was very dissappointed.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When the sample sucks, you just go online and get a better one.  I know that defeats the purpose of getting a sample, but you got to do what you got to do.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Amanda, my first grader saw the Junie B Jones books too. We downloaded Aloha ha ha and have been reading it at bedtime. They are great books! Our daughters have good taste.

Melissa

·
Registered
18 Posts
meljackson said:
Amanda, my first grader saw the Junie B Jones books too. We downloaded Aloha ha ha and have been reading it at bedtime. They are great books! Our daughters have good taste.

Melissa
Melissa,

Yes, they do! Does your daughter also enjoy the magic tree house books? Jayde loves them!

It all brings me back to my youth...I was an avid reader...The Babysitter's club...Sleepover Friends...Nancy Drew...Fabulous Five....Sweet Valley....and the list goes on and ON lol! ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts