Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The title is The Race, with a sub title of (an inspiring story for left-handers) The illustrator is going to try to make that more readable, but as it will be part of the title I'm wondering if it actually needs to be readable in thumbprint.

Should the girl be slightly smaller so that the children running in the background are more visible?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I didn't see the egg since after I saw the bigger version. I like it, but details of the picture are hard to see when it's small. Now that I know what it is, though, I totally can see it in the smaller picture.  :D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yeah, the egg doesn't carry over to small version all that well unfortunately.

But it's a cute cover!

The impressionist filter is making the kids in the background invisible at smaller sizes anyway, so shrinking the foreground kid probably wouldn't do much.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I couldn't make out the egg/hand/arm part very well, even in the big size. Is this a chapter book?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I thought she was pointing, too, even in the larger picture.  It's cute but hard to see.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really like the girl and font. At first glance I missed the egg and thought it was a baby doll's head. If she were a tad smaller, maybe that would help??? However, I am reading on my phone, so I don't have great graphics. When will it release? Yeah!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I think the problem is with the arm or the shoulder or whatever that round thing is behind the hand and beside her head. At first I thought it was another egg.
If that can be toned down it would make the hand with the egg/spoon more obvious.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I couldn't make out the egg/hand graphic until another reader pointed it out--I wasn't sure if it was someone pointing, or maybe if it was a baseball glove or something along those lines. I don't think it's particularly clear that the cover is depicting a race.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I, too, couldn't figure out the egg thing.  I thought she was maybe holding a flip-flop.  I think your instincts are right, too, about making your subtitle legible in the thumbnail.  "The Race" sounds cute, but "An Inspiring Story for Left Handers" is a fantastic hook.  I know a TON of lefties who would go, "This!  I want this book!" 

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hi Jan,

I love the bright colours, the font and the girl's face. She is looking straight at me and catching my attention (and my heart).

I didn't get the egg in the small version either; I thought the egg was a big toe on a foot!

Good luck with it and with the book.

Cheers

JB

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for the useful comments  :-*. It's good to get the opinions of readers who don't know anything about the story. I will pass on the comments to the illustrator. She sent several different versions, but this is the one I preferred. Now she can start on the inside illustrations.

The book is about 10 yr old Vicky who is left-handed and is often accused of being clumsy. The story points out a number of ways that left-handers are disadvantaged, but in the end the fact that Vicky is left-handed becomes an advantage. At the end of the book there is a section for parents and teachers on how to assist left-handers, with links to various websites.

Do you think I should mention on the cover about the tips for parents? Would parents be more likely to buy it? It might make the cover a bit cluttered.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
Do you think I should mention on the cover about the tips for parents? Would parents be more likely to buy it? It might make the cover a bit cluttered.
I would put this in the blurb instead of on the cover.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
I'd agree. This is good blurb material.
Thanks. I'll work it into the blurb. I think it will be a good selling point if schools start using e-books :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
Thanks. I'll work it into the blurb. I think it will be a good selling point if schools start using e-books :)
You mean "when they start using e books! It won't be long now. Those of us that are writing educational books are going to be well-positioned when it happens. At least, that's what I keep telling myself when I look at my bank balance.

May we see the revised version of the cover? I'm a lefty, too. I like your topic.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Janet Michelson said:
You mean "when they start using e books! It won't be long now. Those of us that are writing educational books are going to be well-positioned when it happens. At least, that's what I keep telling myself when I look at my bank balance.

May we see the revised version of the cover? I'm a lefty, too. I like your topic.
For sure. I'm awaiting the illustrator (I think she is fitting it in between other boring jobs like advertising, but is enjoying doing this one) :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts