Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dying to read a great Native American historical, or any historical set in North America--this can include westerns, pilgrims, revolutionary war-era stories...you name it, I want it! It doesn't have to have romance in it, though I tend to prefer those.

I'd love some recommendations if anyone has any. Kindle e-books preferred, but I'm willing to look at print, too.

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I recently read Cartier's Ring by Pearson Moore. Focused fairly tightly on Canadian tribes, both internal clashes, and some of their dealings with the French. I rather enjoyed it. There is a very mild romance element, but it's more about culture clash and tribal conflict than anything else.

It's a multiple-POV book. It mostly focuses and follows a particular Native girl (than woman) but also a bit with some other people from the tribe and some of the French.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Are you asking about just American-set native stories (aka Native American) stories or are you also interested in Canadian First Nations and aboriginal tales? If you're interested in Canadian stories, A Promise is a Promise, is required reading! Yes, it's a children's book, yes, it has pictures, yes, it is a book that has lingered with me since I first read it. Tricking trolls in the ice? It just doesn't get any better than!

(It's the book I buy in bulk to give away for book drives for children. It's that good)

·
Registered
139 Posts
This may not be what you're looking for - it's YA set in the 70s - but Sherman Alexie's Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian is fantastic. It's based on his own experiences transferring out of his high school on the reservation in Washington state to an all white school half an hour away. Very funny, very moving.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This may not be what you're looking for - it's YA set in the 70s - but Sherman Alexie's Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian is fantastic. It's based on his own experiences transferring out of his high school on the reservation in Washington state to an all white school half an hour away. Very funny, very moving.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I assume you're looking for fiction recs, but if you'd like to sample some real history these two recent books are excellent:

Unfortunately 1491 is not yet available for the Kindle.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Try the Tony Hillerman detective series with Leaphorn/Jim Chee -- you'll get a lot of cultural details about the Navajo Nation. These are fiction books, but an interesting and fun way to gain some perspective on the Dineh and other pueblos of the Four Corners in North America.

You can also download a free copy of "Indian Heroes and Great Chieftans" by Charles Eastman for a historical perspective of several tribes and their leaders.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Linda Acaster, who's a member here, has posted several sample chapters of

on her blog. She had links to them for several #SampleSunday threads. I think she started on Feb 13, near the bottom of this page:

http://lindaacaster.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

You could have a look and see if it's your cuppa tea.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I read this one for my Children's Lit class Spring Quarter:

Remember My Name

It's geared for ages 9-12, but the history is pretty darned accurate and OMG did it make me mad. It's about the prelude to the trail of tears and how the government removed Indians from their homes, closed their business, rescinded their rights and then packed them off to the reservations. Grrr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I would recommend author Rosanne Bittner. Fantastic, sweeping novels with great romance. I know she's a stickler or research, too, so you'll get the real deal with her books.

--- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.[/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Arkali said:
I read this one for my Children's Lit class Spring Quarter:

Remember My Name

It's geared for ages 9-12, but the history is pretty darned accurate and OMG did it make me mad. It's about the prelude to the trail of tears and how the government removed Indians from their homes, closed their business, rescinded their rights and then packed them off to the reservations. Grrr.
I must agree with you. I studied a lot of this during my degree in Social Work in university, and the things our government did to the Native Americans in horrendous. It also makes me mad, but I think it is important for people to learn about this type of stuff, so that we can understand better where the problem lies within the Native Americans and realise that they are not the problem as we are what caused the problems in the first place. I know I am getting quite political, but this is how I feel about the subject. I`m hoping this thread will at least help some people find useful information and learn more about their history and culture :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
A long time ago I read a book called Follow the River, which I believe was based on the true story of a colonial woman's escape from captivity after an Indian raid. Not set in the West but on the East Coast (which was still "West" of European settlements at the time.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts