Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ordering my new kindle 2 this week and wanted to know if I should also order the 2 year extended warranty. Can anyone help me with some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
I did, I'm paranoid of dropping it and the warranty covers one accidental replacement.  It also covers the battery for the full two years, and since this is not a user replaceable battery I thought it was probably a good idea.  There are also a lot of people that swear by the square warranty and others here could tell you more about that.

I hope you find what you need and can order your Kindle soon.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
there are many kindle owners here who carry the kindle with them where ever they are going. I do this too. the exposes the kindle to the hazards of travel. It is an expensive devise. I did purchase a Warranty but I went with Square trade 3 year plan with extra accident handling. search the kindle boards for that there was a discount code posted. I am hoping it works allright I have never used them before. others went with the 2 year from amazon where they received the device. others said they did nothing and accepted the year it comes with.
Sylvia

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gruntman said:
I did, I'm paranoid of dropping it and the warranty covers one accidental replacement. It also covers the battery for the full two years, and since this is not a user replaceable battery I thought it was probably a good idea. There are also a lot of people that swear by the square warranty and others here could tell you more about that.

I hope you find what you need and can order your Kindle soon.
Be careful about the battery thing. I contacted Service Net directly, and they said the battery would NOT be covered. They said:
As batteries are considered a consumable item we would not be able to cover the cost of replacement.

I know it's been bandied about on the Amazon forums that it's included, but I tend to go with the insurer itself for what I'll believe.

That made up my decision for me. I'm getting a good cover (and a padded sleeve as well for travel), and I'll consider that my damage "warranty." Not perfect, but for the cost of the warranty, I'm happy to self insure.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am still on the fence about this, but I'm a little on the clumsy side so I will probably end up getting the warranty for extra peace of mind. If you do a search for warranty there have been a few threads about this topic... hopefully you can find the information you are looking for.

EDIT: Bought the warranty.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just checked the terms for Service Net Solutions (the company that runs the 2 year amazon warranty) and according to their terms and services (if I read it right) they extend all the same terms of the manufacturer(amazon) to a second year. this would include the 1 year of battery coverage amazon gives you at purchase and is not to be confused with their one time only accidental mishandling coverage.

If I read it correctly.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I convinced my friend to get it. I think it's worth it.  :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm going to get the 2-year warranty, although I haven't purchased it yet.  Don't we have some time after shipping (30 days?) to purchase the warranty?  I better get on it soon. 

·
Registered
736 Posts
I still haven't purchased the Extended Warranty yet and am wondering if any of the other warranty services (Square Trade, for example) offer insurance against lost or stolen Kindles?

I've heard a lot of people refer to protection offered by my credit card company, but I'm not sure how (easily) that would work and in what way I'm protected.  I'll have to call the credit card company, but would love to hear from someone who knows what type of protection a credit card company might afford.  Replacements only? 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Libro, I really don't think any of the warranty services offer insurance against lost or stolen Kindles. They're pretty much for mechanical issues (or damage if you get the damage coverage on the Square Trade)

Only your credit card company can tell you whether or not you have extended warranty coverage with them. Many offer an additional year of warranty protection, but you'll have to ask them.

I personally purchased the Square Trade warranty (3 years with accidental damage..for $52.49) It was the best solution for my needs. It covers the battery, it covers it if my son throws it in the toilet. It covers it if the cat knocks water over onto it. It covers it if that 5-way controller breaks 2.5 years down the line.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
No, at $44, you really can't go wrong. I suppose I could cancel what I have and re-purchase it using the lower price..I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the effort for $8...then again, it is the price of a book.

You're allowed to cancel the warranty within the first 60 days.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Trekker said:
True...when I got my K2 Square Trade warranty, I specifically asked about battery replacement and they told me that since it's not user replaceable, it would be covered under their warranty.
It sounds good but I'm just not sure. I have zero experience with Square Trade.

·
Registered
192 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
It worked ;)
I just did it too, and it worked. I bought it tonight and could not get any of the coupon codes I had found to work. Husband said it was still a good deal at 74.99.

Immediately after I bought it I found this thread with the FAMILY code, you just saved me lots of $$.

Thanks! ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Okay, I did some research and comparison shopping and decided Square Trade was the best way to go.  So I got the 3 year coverage plus accident coverage (w/ $50 deductible) for $45.  Yay!!  So much good info on Kindleboard!!!  ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
kari said:
Okay, I did some research and comparison shopping and decided Square Trade was the best way to go. So I got the 3 year coverage plus accident coverage (w/ $50 deductible) for $45. Yay!! So much good info on Kindleboard!!! ;D
Great find. And yes, this board is amazing. BTW, my friend did end up getting the Amazon warranty. I'm glad he did, him and his butterfingers will need it. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts