Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing articles that claim Amazon may be building a Kindle smartphone. (If they do, I think they should call it "the K Phone" -- though they'll probably just call it Kindle phone.

At first I thought it was a weird idea, but then I really began to like it. (After all, I do read ebooks on my smartphone sometime, and the Kindle app is usually the first thing I install when I get a new device.) So I started thinking that it would be cool to read my Kindle ebooks on a phone that was built by Amazon as an official Kindle product, packed with whatever kind of new Kindle magic that Amazon could come up with from Amazon. Now I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels that way.

Would you buy a Kindle phone?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I would have to take a look at the features, it might be interesting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I carry my PW with me everywhere, and I prefer reading on an eInk device versus a color LCD screen like on my smartphone. 

As such, I'm not sure what a Kindle phone could offer me that would match the current reading experience on the PW versus the features available on my Android phone.  Also, I don't really want to be tied to the Amazon app store for apps. 

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Almost certainly not, but it depends on features. If it doesn't have a user-replaceable battery, then definitely not. Also, as the previous poster said, I don't want to be tied to the Amazon app store.

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's not something that would interest me. Like others have said, I don't want to be locked in to the Amazon app store. That's why I never bought a Fire. I imagine they would probably sell well, though.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I have been waiting to see what they come out with. Not to use as a kindle, I read only on my e-ink devices, but to use as a phone. I never had a contract phone and basically use a pre paid plan. I can't afford to pay 80+ a month for a smart phone. I am hoping that they might come out with a smart phone that has some kind of a sliding scale.
I have used a $5 dollar phone for my prepaid plan until I was gifted an old iphone 3g with a bad battery. Hubby changed out the battery, but because its a prepaid plan, I cannot use the 3G on it. It basically works like a ipod touch with phone function. The problem is its an iphone and I don't use anything apple or even itunes. So I have no apps or anything else on it.  ;D

I would really like an android based phone and a amazon branded one would give me access right away to the apps I already have for my fires.

Would be nice to once in a while when needed to have access to the internet when I am out and about. I don't have that now. Like I said, I can't afford a $80+ locked in type plan so I am waiting to see what Amazon can come up with.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my pre paid plan.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wouldn't. I also can't afford $80+ a month for a smartphone. I have a prepaid android phone that I can connect over wifi. No data plan, though I could buy one for it. $25 a month for unlimited texting and 250 calls a month is what I pay.

In addition, I don't like reading on my phone, so a Kindle phone wouldn't make me like it any better. I don't normally read in any of the Kindle apps, either. I prefer to read on my Kindle Paperwhite or Touch. I seldom read fiction on my Fire HD 7, either.

I might buy a pocket sized e-ink Kindle, though.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Probably not. I wouldn't worry about being "locked in" to Amazon any more than I am with my Fire. Because it isn't really locked in. But I'm just too happy with my iPhone. The Kindle part wouldn't interest me that much - I'm much happier reading on other apps that frankly have more and better features than the Kindle apps. And I prefer iOS over Android. So I just don't think I'd be interested.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Actually I might, but it would depend on cost.  I also use prepaid through Net10 but fear they are going to the "dark side" with "family plans" and such.  I would consider a Fire Fone (ick) since I only use a Fire now, not an e ink Kindle. 

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Net10 was one I had considered when I researched pre paid plans. I use the ATT go plan. I just load it up and as long as I stay current, my money rolls over. 10 cents per minute.
I can add a text plan, but I don't text. Unfortunately I have to pay for text that come in and once in a while I get those spam texts.

These popular family plans are totally useless to me. Its just me with that phone, husband has a work phone. So saving on extra lines and stuff means nothing to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's what I have, ATT Go Phone. Only I need the texting, so I can text my son mainly. I got him the same phone and plan, he is 15 and sends hundreds of texts. So the other prepaid phones we had were costing more than the $25 a month I am paying now for each of us.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it were an e-ink reading device, as good as or better than the Paperwhite, with the additional capacity of a phone, then I would buy it definitely.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just read the news about Kindle phone to be launched this year with the cost between $100 and $249. Are you going to give this a try? I am quite positive about this and might buy one for myself. :)

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Hi, Samantha!

I've moved this to the Let's Talk Kindle forum.

Betsy

and I merged it with a thread already on going on the topic. . . . -- Ann

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Net10 has been perfect for me.. I've always bought the minimum to keep it alive and yet have over 8000 minutes available, which means I could take on long calls, if I wanted to do that.  I still have a landline included on my Time Warner package that works very well at home..  I think at least at the time I started with Net10, it was a better deal for me than Go Phones (in my area). 

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Seamonkey said:
Net10 has been perfect for me.. I've always bought the minimum to keep it alive and yet have over 8000 minutes available, which means I could take on long calls, if I wanted to do that. I still have a landline included on my Time Warner package that works very well at home.. I think at least at the time I started with Net10, it was a better deal for me than Go Phones (in my area).
Would you like to talk sometime? We have over 6000 minutes available and ours will also do web searches at the same price as in if you are on the internet 10 minutes they charge you 10 minutes. That is great if we are out somewhere and need to know the weather. Example when we are camping and there is no local radio.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts