Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, and welcome to my thread about Wolf's Revenge. Wolf's revenge is a 388 page (print pages) novel about an alternate world where many of our myths and legends are historical fact. The Republic (United States) in my book is still the melting pot of many nations, but included in these are non-human creatures and peoples. It is about one of these that the story revolves. Shape shifters. Below is the amazon page description, and I have added a short excerpt from within the book as well.

In future posts I will add a random excerpt :) To avoid spoiling the story for you, these will be very short and not in any particular logical order.

About Wolf's Revenge (Shifter Legacies): paranormal/urban fantasy

Wolf's Revenge... Los Angeles, a city where monsters live cheek by jowl with humans. A city where violence simmers just below the surface. Lieutenant Christine Humber of the LAPD's robbery homicide division is well aware of that violence. She has worked for years in the city's most violent district, known locally as Monster Central. When called to a murder scene, Chris and her partner learn that the victim is a shifter -- a werewolf -- and he died hard. Chris soon realises that she has a very special serial killer loose in her city, one that is taking down Monster Central's bad boys one by one. Who or what can kill a werewolf and leave no trace? Chris and her partner race to find out.

I hope you enjoy the following excerpt :)

#####cut and paste from Wolf's Revenge by mark e.cooper#####

Baxter led her toward the cage and joined the queue. "You don't have to worry. You'll be in Isolation."

Chris laughed.

"What's funny?"

"You putting me in a cage with a bunch of shifters for my safety. Don't you think that's funny?"

Baxter frowned. "No."

It was strange, but she would be safer in the company of monsters than she would in a cell full of humans. If Baxter had tried to put her anywhere but Isolation, she would have been yelling the place down. They would have had to drag her there. An ex-cop's life wouldn't be worth spit if they put her in with a bunch of humans. Shifters were remarkably unbiased in some ways. They wouldn't care that she used to be a cop. All that would concern them was whether she was stronger than they were.

Strength is very important. Smoke said in her head. The wolf sounded exasperated with Chris' refusal to realise that simple fact. It dictates our place in the pack.

"You want some advice?" Baxter asked as they waited their turn.

"Not particularly."

"Get an attorney."

She sighed. "You're repeating yourself."

"That's because you don't listen. Get an attorney. You need one."

"I don't need one. I'm not under arrest."

Baxter glanced at her briefly then back to what was happening ahead. "Yet." He pushed her forward another couple of steps as the queue slowly shortened. "You've been around long enough to know how things work, Chris. Don't be stupid about this. Everyone down here needs an attorney, under arrest or not."

"You know what I think of those bloodsuckers. I've spent years fighting to put away the scum on our streets, and they spend all their time trying to stop me."

"That's history. It's gone. I'm talking about now. You need someone to look out for you. Ken is after your butt."

"He's just doing his job," she said, and shuffled forward again.

"Yeah, and he's made shifters his mission in life. You're a shifter now."

She shook her head. "He wouldn't do that. He's a good cop."

"He's still good at the job," Baxter agreed. "But he's changed since you went down. You saw him. Was that the man you knew?"

She remembered thinking how much Ken had changed, but that much? Surely not. Ken would never compromise his ethics just to send shifters down. Never. She had taught him to let nothing but the evidence rule his decisions. If he was suddenly targeting shifters, he had a good reason. Baxter was just being paranoid.

What happens if he is not? Smoke asked in a small voice.

"Ken's a friend. He was just doing his job."

Baxter shook his head, not realising She was talking to Smoke. "Get a lawyer."

But what happens if he is not?

She frowned uneasily. "I think I'll make that call after all, Dave."

"Now you're talking. Come 'ere." Baxter jerked her roughly out of the line.

"Watch it, numb-nuts!" she squawked, staggering after him.

Baxter dragged her toward the row of link booths. "I'm not letting you put it off until later. You'll make the call, with me listening, right now."

"Since when did you go all fatherly?"

Baxter's face reddened. "Since never. You bring it out in me, I guess."

She rolled her eyes. She didn't want to bring out latent parental instincts in him. She didn't want to bring out latent anything in him! Seeing as her credit chip had been confiscated with the rest of her stuff, Baxter inserted his chip into the link and authorised its use with his thumbprint on the scanner.

She punched in the number from memory and hoped she had it right. It took a while for him to pick up; he had probably been asleep.

"Lephmann."

"I need help."

"Chris?"

"Yeah it's me. I'm at Central, on my way to the cells."

"Who did you kill?" Lephmann asked intently. "I'll send Geoffrey to pay off the witnesses."

She gaped. "Oh that's nice. Assume I'm guilty, why don't you?"

"Aren't you?"

"Well, yes, but that's not the point. And anyway, where do you get off bribing witnesses?"

Baxter paled and stepped away so he couldn't overhear. What he didn't know couldn't get him fired.

"I do whatever it takes to help my people. We take care of own, and we punish them when the need arises. You should know that by now."

She remembered the arena at the old airbase, and her fight with Janine in the desert. Punishment among shifters was severe. "Yeah, okay, but you can't get away with bribing cops."

Lephmann swore. "Are you telling me you killed someone in front of the police?"

"No."

"Thank the goddess for that!"

She counted to ten under her breath. "I went after Ryder and caught him torturing Jason."

"The missing Kirkwood boy?"

"Right. The thing is, Ryder got away just as the police turned up. They caught me with Jason. They think I did all that stuff to him."

There was a brief silence, and then a whispered conversation in the background. She frowned intently, trying to make out the words, but she couldn't pick up enough for it to make sense. The other voice sounded feminine and familiar. Maybe Lephmann and Ronnie had a thing.

"Okay. I'll fix it," Lephmann said, sounding confident.

"Just like that, eh?"

"Just like that. I'll have you out by morning. Don't kill or torture anyone else."

"Hey..." She began indignantly, but Lephmann had already broken the connection. She looked at the handset in annoyance. "I hate it when people do that."

### end of excerpt ###

I hope you liked the above, I'll post another small excerpt in T minus 7 days :)

Mark E. Cooper

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Mark, and congratulations on your book!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JeanneM said:
This looks like a really interesting book! Love the cover too. It is going on my To Buy list right now.
Thanks Jeanne, I'm glad you like it so far. The rules here say i have to be careful with replies and such, but I just want to say that there are samples of this book and my others on my website, or of course Amazon lets you download 3 chapters of all its kindle books for free. I have links withing the front matter of my kindle books that lead to all the others at Amazon.

I will post a new sample in T-minus 6days :)

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Wow, Mark!  This is really good and you've got me hooked. 

This will be the first book I buy on July 3rd. when my new book budget kicks in.  Great job! It looks really unique and I'm looking forward to a good read.  Thanks for another sneak preview. :)

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JeanneM said:
Wow, Mark! This is really good and you've got me hooked.

This will be the first book I buy on July 3rd. when my new book budget kicks in. Great job! It looks really unique and I'm looking forward to a good read. Thanks for another sneak preview. :)
Thanks Jeanne, I'm glad you like what you have read so far :)

Mark E. Cooper
http://mark-e-cooper.blogspot.com

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JeanneM said:
Only a few more days to wait. I'm looking so forward to this story. Is it going to be a series?

BTW, your covers are wonderful. :)
In my head its a series, on my comp its Wolf's Revenge plus a prequel to wolf's revenge. Probably be called Way of the wolf that is only about half done i am afraid. I have a couple of chapters done for the sequel as well. So yes, a three or more book series in the end. I have a 5 book fantasy on the go as well. Book 5 of that is at the outline stage though.

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi,

I just got it!  I'm a little over-kindleized at the moment, but will be reading it soon.  I went a tad crazy and have a lot of reading to do.  :)

I'm looking very forward to it though, and will let you know how I'm enjoying it. Judging from the samples you put up, I know I'm going to really love it.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeanneM said:
Hi,

I just got it! I'm a little over-kindleized at the moment, but will be reading it soon. I went a tad crazy and have a lot of reading to do. :)

I'm looking very forward to it though, and will let you know how I'm enjoying it. Judging from the samples you put up, I know I'm going to really love it.
Thanks for letting me know, Jeanne. Maybe you will like it enough to review on amazon *hint hint* hahaha, I really appreciate the support. This past month watching the kindle sales has been great. :)

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, my narrator has just finished work on book 2 of my Shifter Legacies series, so it's time to push the boat out! Would you like to help with that by grabbing a free copy of book 1 (audio edition) and maybe if you like it give it a review? Here is the link to the book I'll be sending as a gift copy... http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Way-of-the-Wolf-Shifter-Legacies-1-Audiobook/B00MR8VMP0

If you're interested, PM me while stocks last of course! First come first served until the promo codes run out. I'll post here when that happens so you won't waste your time. I have codes for the US audible store AND the Uk store, so the Brits can play too. (I'm a Brit, can't leave out my mates can I?) ;D

So please come play with us!

Mark

EDIT: When you PM me, don't forget I'll need your email address and whether you want me to use the US or UK store. Audible will send the gift email thingy to the address you give me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.