Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you rather write one great major classic book that is read and read again and again by many generations (but only the one book) or would you rather write like 20 or more super best-selling amazing popular books during your life time that people will, for the sake of this scenario, forget about the day after you die?  What do you think?

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Tough question but I'd probably go with the latter. It doesn't do me much good for people to consider my book a classic and enjoy it long after I'm gone because, well, I won't be there to know it, will I?

By the way, you'll probably get more responses if you post this in the Writer's Cafe.  ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dara,
I'm still figuring out the different threads. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Interesting question. I think it's more a question of: What is important to you, the money, or the recognition of being a writer of importance. I've actually thought about this before. I'd opt for the one book that made a difference. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have to worry about that one way or the other.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would like to write books that make people smile.  If I can provide a few minutes of laughter... I'm good.

If people forget me when I'm gone, or even when I'm still here, that is of no importance to me.

Those who love me, will remember me with a smile and I am convinced that is all that really matters.

Sheila

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is an interesting question. I think I would rather have the 20 books. They may be forgotten when I'm gone, but there's a sense of accomplishment knowing that while I was alive I know that my books were well read and enjoyed.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
soyfrank said:
Would you rather write one great major classic book that is read and read again and again by many generations (but only the one book) or would you rather write like 20 or more super best-selling amazing popular books during your life time that people will, for the sake of this scenario, forget about the day after you die? What do you think?
Actual amnesia sets in? :)

If I can fade from memory over a generation, like a lot of writers do, I could live with that. If not, I'll be Harper Lee, sure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me, I kind of wander from one side to the other, depending on the day. I guess I romanticize the idea of writing a classic like say Catcher in the Rye, and I like that idea...but, some days, I wouldn't mind writing 20 super bestsellers either-- even one would be nice :)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Writing is like eating Lay's potato chips.  Can't just write one.  So, I'd rather write several bestseller/popular novels than one classic.  But who says an author has only one classic book in him/her?  :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd choose the 20 books, too. More fun, more enjoyment, and no students decades from now grumbling about "having" to read that one mega-successful book.  ;D 

1 - 14 of 14 Posts