Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of us say that we don't need lit agents, that they're the "middle men" of the industry and are not really necessary.

But what if your dream agent contacted you and offered representation? You know, that agent you dreamed of while you were writing that first book, way before the self-publishing boom.

Would you sign?

·
Registered
446 Posts
ShortySmalls said:
I know a lot of us say that we don't need lit agents, that they're the "middle men" of the industry and are not really necessary.

But what if your dream agent contacted you and offered representation? You know, that agent you dreamed of while you were writing that first book, way before the self-publishing boom.

Would you sign?
You're joking, right? Of course, the answer is "yes." It's usually a two year commitment, so it's a no brainer. I've done it twice. Once it didn't work out and once it did. But both times, it was the right move.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I'd sign if they didn't want to try to sell my ebook rights.  I am enjoying that 70% royalty way too much to give that up.

I had a full request from my dream agent with the latest book and she took four months to read it.  Kept telling me she was reading it and REALLY LOVED IT, and WOULD BE IN TOUCH SOON!!!, and I got my hopes way up.  And then after I hadn't heard anything from her for a very long time, I poked her to see how she was feeling about it, and she flatly rejected it with one blunt sentence fragment.  After four months of telling me how much she loved it.   ???  Kind of soured me on the whole agent thing, I think.  

I can see circumstances where I'd probably work with an agent, yes.  I have worked with two in the past, neither of whom could sell my books.  There are no longer any stars in my eyes, that's for sure, but yes, in the right scenario I'd love to work with a smart, forward-thinking agent who'd sell sub rights for my books.  That would be killer.  And I feel much more realistic about approaching that (potential) relationship now that I've had the agent-scales fall off my eyes.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
There are three agents I can think of who, if they came to me and said they wanted to talk, I'd give them serious consideration.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
No, because my goals have changed.  Now my dream agent doesn't have an ongoing contract - they would be someone who is also a respected literary lawyer, and they would work on a flat fee basis.

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
Dunno. I never tried to go the traditional route, so I don't know much about it (except that it almost every story I hear about it sounds sort of awful ... see ElHawk's post upthread).

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Why not? Remember you are the one hiring them. You have total control over what you give them to sell and how long you work with them. Someone said you're stuck for two years. That's not necessarily true. Everything is negotiable.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I'd sign with my dream agent without hesitation. I can write an infinite number of books and have no desire to place all my eggs in one basket, so why not have the best of both worlds?
Exactly. I'm very much a eggs-in-different-baskets kind of girl. I had a good agent before without much result, but you never know. If a really excellent agent wanted to represent me, I'd give it serious consideration.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It would depend on just a few things ...

1. What book are we talking about?  Are we talking a proven winner that sells every month and supports my lifestyle?  (By the way, I don't have that sort of book  ;)) Is it a case of an agent wanting to jump on my self-created bandwagon?

2. Is this a new, untested book?  Something I've never published that would do better under the tutelage of an agent and *fingers crossed* a publisher?

I guess it would depend, but like others have said, I'd lean more towards "yes" then "no".  I have no problem with agents, I'd take one under the right circumstances in a heartbeat.  

G

·
vrabinec said:
Yeah, but I don't know Miss Snark's real identity.
There's no way I'd go with Miss Snark. Despite her huge following and self-righteous attitude, she was never God's gift to writers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.