Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a story . . . sad, embarrassing, shameful . . . but with a happy ending. And the embarrassing and shameful aren't that much. Do I tell the real story or fictionalize it? Do I use my real name or a pen name?

I already wrote one like this, The Journey That Matters, but the bad parts were about my family, not me, LOL, and I did use a pen name.

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Do whatever feels right for you, without giving away real names of other people involved.  Your only responsibility is to those other real people in your life, so consider carefully how much you are willing to reveal or mask.

But then, every artist uses a part of their own personal experience to create. It is a given. Even when I write about fantastic magical journeys to the stars, my characters in those journeys are subtle "frankensteinean creations," a part of some depth of my personal experience, be it self, or other people in my great big or little world.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I think an important question to ask is if you will feel comfortable having a future employer read this story knowing that it comes from you.  Having been active around the internet since 1997, it is ASTOUNDING how ten years down the road, the one person you lambasted will be the person you're sitting across the table from in a negotiation.  It is eerie how that works out.  So, ask yourself if you're in a job interview and the HR manager has read this story, is that going to be okay?  If it is, go for it!  If it isn't, I'd suggest a nomme de plume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts