Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if they lowered the book prices just a little? I would think more people would buy them. I set my January budget on books on the 1st and have only spent 2.00 because so many of the books I had in my wishlist went up in price. Not just a couple of dollars either, some doubled in price. There were so many bargains when I saved them and I wish I had just bought them but I really didn't think everything was going to increase that quickly. I'm just depressed and wanted to spend some money lol.
Melissa

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Here are four books I can recommend as great reads and they are all only $5.59. You just need to do a little hunting to find the bargains. Not everything is $9.99

Enjoy!

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
meljackson said:
if they lowered the book prices just a little? I would think more people would buy them. I set my January budget on books on the 1st and have only spent 2.00 because so many of the books I had in my wishlist went up in price. Not just a couple of dollars either, some doubled in price. There were so many bargains when I saved them and I wish I had just bought them but I really didn't think everything was going to increase that quickly. I'm just depressed and wanted to spend some money lol.
Melissa
Melissa go to Bargain Books in The Book Corner. I've had my Kindle 4 months and have only bought 9.99 books 5 times.

I don't know what type books you enjoy but I just posted with a link The Black Echo by Michael Connelly for $3.99, a mystery/suspense. I have browsed through there and there are sci fi, fantasy, romance. I got a book for a $1 and one for 1.67. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is 3.99. I think you can find some good books there. Be sure and check the price on Amazon before one click because prices do fluctuate.

Al Past, Distant Cousin Triology are great books and all 3 are only 4.00. Rick Reed, Horror/Suspense author, High Risk, IM and others are much less than 9.99. They are both authors here on KB.

Please post and let me know if you find anything you like!

Linda

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think prices going up had something to do with Christmas.  I noticed that after Thanksgiving it got harder and harder to find good bargains.  I think they are trying to make a few extra bucks off of the new K owners.  I'm hoping that in a month or 2 prices will go back down. I've quit shopping for the deals and have almost quit buying.  It's really no hardship, I have 5 pages on unread books to catch up with.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Betsy, I have bought several books from that thread in the past few weeks. I shouldn't be complaining, I know. I have several pages of unread books that I got for a really good deal (and free). I guess I'm spoiled now and want to keep buying cheap ones.

Melissa

·
Registered
65 Posts
With regard to the original question, I would like to think that many more books would be purchased and therefore Amazon would make more money if prices were lowered. However, we really don't know what Amazon pays for each title. I have been led to believe that they pay the publisher perhaps %45-%50 of the list price for most books. So if the list price is $25 and the publisher charges %45,  Amazon's wholesale cost is $11.25. If Amazon wants to price the book at the "magic" $9.99 price point, they lose $1.26. If they want to make 74 cents profit (by charging $11.99), people start calling for boycotts - see the "Boycott anything over $9.99" thread over at the Amazon Kindle forum.

But setting aside the question of Amazon and publishers' profit margin, I definitely believe that more books would be sold at a lower price point. I'm hopeful that over time the vast majority of Kindle book prices will fall into a range that most people consider to be reasonable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think Amazon is still feeling its way around with pricing. It seems like there were a lot of new owners this winter, and Amazon is still trying to work out what will fly with the buyers. It's possible they'll have seen a big drop in sales with the higher prices, and prices will drop. But, if enough people are happy to pay the higher prices, they'll probably stay.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
meljackson said:
Thanks Betsy, I have bought several books from that thread in the past few weeks. I shouldn't be complaining, I know. I have several pages of unread books that I got for a really good deal (and free). I guess I'm spoiled now and want to keep buying cheap ones.

Melissa
I think it was my twin-sister-separated-at-birth Linda C-M who suggested the Book Corner....this time. LOL! I know it's hard to tell us apart! Her quote again below.

Betsy

Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Melissa go to Bargain Books in The Book Corner. I've had my Kindle 4 months and have only bought 9.99 books 5 times.

I don't know what type books you enjoy but I just posted with a link The Black Echo by Michael Connelly for $3.99, a mystery/suspense. I have browsed through there and there are sci fi, fantasy, romance. I got a book for a $1 and one for 1.67. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is 3.99. I think you can find some good books there. Be sure and check the price on Amazon before one click because prices do fluctuate.

Al Past, Distant Cousin Triology are great books and all 3 are only 4.00. Rick Reed, Horror/Suspense author, High Risk, IM and others are much less than 9.99. They are both authors here on KB.

Please post and let me know if you find anything you like!

Linda

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
A lot of people have no problem paying $24.95 plus shipping for a hardback book.  If you look at it that way, $9.99 is a bargain. 

I don't happen to be one of those people who will buy a new hardback, with certain exceptions.  I probably haven't bought two dozen in my lifetime.  Most of the hardbacks I've purchased have been from the bargain and clearance tables or they are used. 

I thought I read somewhere that Amazon has to pay the same amount for an e-book as a hardback.  If that's the case, Amazon is losing money at $9.99.

Should Amazon be like the guy who said ... Yep, I lose a few cents on every sale, but I make it up on volume. 

I've probably spent about the same amount of money since I got Little Gertie as I previously spent on used books.  The difference is that Amazon, Kindleboards, the publishers and authors make something on my purchase.  Not so when I buy a used book, which I don't do anymore. 

I have no complaint about the prices of Kindlebooks.  Like anything else, it's how much money I choose to spend and what I choose to spend it on.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Amazon has to pay the same amount for an e-book as a hardback. If that's the case, Amazon is losing money at $9.99.
You did. Mycroft also referred to it in this thread. The original information was in an article in the New York Times on June 2, 2008. Supposedly, Amazon pays a wholesale price of 45% to 50% of the list price....same for a hardback or ebook. Thus with the $9.99 pricing, they are probably losing money on very many of their Kindle books.

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm not saying it isn't true - but I think it's insane if they really have to pay the same amount for the digital verion as a hardback!  Wow, what a GREAT deal for the publisher if that's so, they don't have to print it and still make the same?  I have no idea, but that seems silly. 

You can always try my most recent obsession - free books.  Browse around on feedbooks or manybooks, obviously nothing new but I've always wanted to read Jane Eyre and now I can, for free!  It's a little addicting....they're free, so go crazy!

G

·
Jane Eyre is a wonderful book. It is on my most read list. I discovered Jane in high school and really identified with her. Love, love, love that book.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Anju said:
Hi Sebat, I thought I was bad with unread books, not to mention the DTBs I had before kindle lol I only have 3 pages
;D

All the free books in December filled an entire page. I just can't turn down a freebie, that's part of the problem. Anything under a $1 is an issue, too.
Guess it's time to confess...I'm an addict! ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts