Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Davinci code was OK i thought, and never gave the other "langdons" a spin... day before yesterday i picked up Angels and Demons... WOW   cant put it down... i expect to finish it tonight... Perhaps I'm enjoying it because i was a physics major in college and can relate a bit more, regardless... really great book... has anyone read deception point?  thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am currently reading Deception Point (like it so far!) and have read both Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code. 

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have read all of Dan Brown's novels and they are all very good.  Deception Point, and Digital Fortress do not have Langdon in them but are still very exciting.
jp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Angels & Demons movie with Tom Hanks back as Langdon is due out 5/15. I'm re-reading it as well, before I see the movie.

Susie

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Angels and Demons was very good. I was not nearly as impressed with The Da Vinci Code, and I thought the movie was pretty bad.

Deception Point and Digital Fortress (his other books) aren't bad but they're not anything I'd go out of my way to recommend either. They're a decent enough read though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I completely agree.  I thought The DaVinci Code was good -- hard to put down, actually -- but then I read Angels and Demons and it completely blew The DaVinci Code away!  I wasn't a big fan of the movie either, but I'm definitely curious to see how they tackle Angels and Demons.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I have to say, I thought The DaVinci Code was good, but still a standard thriller of the month and didn't quite understand why it was the phenomenon that it was.  As a result, Angels and Demons has been low on my list of books.  Sounds like I need to move it up!

I seem to have liked the movie better than most folks I know who saw it...looking forward to the new one.

Betsy

Note:  I'm going to change the subject of this thread; we actually have another Wow thread that's active now, AND I think we'll get more action here if the subject is more accurate!  (The other Wow thread is about accessories, I almost posted about Oberon covers here, LOL!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to agree that Angels and Demons definatly blows Da Vinci Code away.  I didn't mind the movie.  I thought they did an okay job with it especially since there is so much going on in the book.  I can't wait to see how Angels and Demons turns out.  I just wish he would hurry up and release Solomons Key.  That book has had so many different release dates.

I did read Digital Fortress and Deception Point but didn't enjoy them as much.  I'm not sure why though.  They were both good reads but I didn't re-read them like I did Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have to agree that I liked Angels and Demons better than DaVinci Code.  I also read Digital Fortress and Deception Point and enjoyed them both although they are different, more like Crichton books.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I read this book right around all the craziness of The DaVinci Code, mostly because I wanted to understand the hype of the DaVinci Code, but didn't want to shell out $$$ for the hardcover, but also because I was going to vacation in Rome, and most of the book takes place in Rome. Not a bad book, but throughout my trip to Rome I kept having moments where I would state to my husband, "that sculpture of the dove on top of this famous fountain in the famous square is facing in the opposite direction of famous chapel with the famous sculpture by famous Baroque artist, not in the direction of the famous chapel!" My husband, who had not read the book, simply rolled his eyes. My husband's cousin (who is originally from Poland, but married an Italian man and now lives in Rome) had just finished the book as well, got a big kick out of all the discrepancies.

Although after this trip, I never did read The Da Vinci Code. After visiting daVinci's famous Last Supper fresco in a monastery outside of Milan, I was sort of disgusted to hear how many tourists state that it was a fact that it was Mary Magdalene in the fresco not the apostle John. Add to that, our tour guide (who had a PHD in Art History) at the Vatican museum went on a long rant in front of a tapestry copy of The Last Supper, on how it could not possibly be Mary Magdalene in this work of art. Apparently, he, too, had heard to many people state this as fact since the book came out.

I'm glad I went to Rome before the Angels and Demons movie came out. I've heard that the sites in Paris and the chapel at the end of the film have become inundated with tourists from the book. One of my favorite memories of Rome was viewing the Ecstasy of St Theresa in a completely empty church on a hot, crowded afternoon.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have actually enjoyed all of Dan Brown's novels.  (I'm one who loved DaVinci Code.)  Now if someone can please tell me when Dan Brown's Solomon's Key is EVER going to come out.  Been waiting, and waiting, and...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I really enjoyed the DaVinci Code, movie was ok but as usual the book was better. I have Digital Fortress and tried once to get into it, but couldn't, guess I should try again, once I get the kindelized version.  Loved Angels and Demons, hope the movie is as good.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think we're pretty much in agreement that Angels and Demons was way better than The DaVinci Code.  Usually, the first book I read by an author is the one I like best.  I read DaVinci first and Angels second and there was no comparison.  I didn't bother with the movie.

My favorite part in Angels and Demons is the speech by the Camerlengo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all!  I really have to read this book - the movie is due out soon and I want to read it before I see the movie :)

Jeannine

1 - 20 of 89 Posts