Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm here at work minding my own business reading the Kindle Boards when on the radio comes....Bruce (The Boss) Springsteen wishing me a Merry Christmas Baby! :eek:

It really drove home the point that it really is close to Christmas and I just hadn't thought about it in those terms- yet. Yikes! Gotta get my shopping done. Hey, just thinking aloud here, maybe I'll do a bit of shopping through the links to Amazon!! :D :D

Sheryl

·
Registered
509 Posts
When I first see the holiday lights and Christmas displays, I just have to take a moment and say to myself "Wow, hard to believe it's October already!"

Make me the Holiday Czar and I'll decree that not one sprig of holly nor one red-nosed reindeer will manifest in the malls before Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D :D :D
How true!  Although my DH starts the Christmas music around September. I try to keep him down to just a few songs when I'm around. Good thing we don't take after the Griswold family or we would be decked out then too.  ;D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Teninx said:
When I first see the holiday lights and Christmas displays, I just have to take a moment and say to myself "Wow, hard to believe it's October already!"

Make me the Holiday Czar and I'll decree that not one sprig of holly nor one red-nosed reindeer will manifest in the malls before Thanksgiving.
You can have the job, I saw my first Christmas display in September. I said "Wow, hard to believe it's going to be Halloween next month!" Please make them stop rushing the season......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Even Santa Claus got into the action early. He showed up at the mall near our house a couple weeks BEFORE Thanksgiving. I've seen the decorations get earlier and earlier but Santa typically waits until after Thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There's a reason I avoid stores.

So I did some click, click, click Christmas shopping this afternoon. I found a bunch of things on Amazon. Total price, $155. I had $181 in gift certificates. Free shopping, right? But then I realized that if I actually paid with my Amazon Visa, I'd get $3 in credit for every $1 spent. So I used my credit card and saved my GC balance for my Kindle.

I realize this is probably totally flawed economic thinking, but it seemed right at the time. And I am still happy with my decision.

L

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leslie said:

So I did some click, click, click Christmas shopping this afternoon. I found a bunch of things on Amazon. Total price, $155. I had $181 in gift certificates. Free shopping, right? But then I realized that if I actually paid with my Amazon Visa, I'd get $3 in credit for every $1 spent. So I used my credit card and saved my GC balance for my Kindle.

I realize this is probably totally flawed economic thinking, but it seemed right at the time. And I am still happy with my decision.

L
It may be flawed, but I like the way you think. I've done most of my shopping online and at Amazon, they deliver and no crowded malls.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I got a better one. There's a tool set that Hubby wants. . .$299 at home depot. $399 at Amazon. I so want to get 3 for 1 on 400 (amazon points) instead of 1 for 1 on 300. . . .but I guess that's really not a smart thing. . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:

L
I've been trying to figure this out, too. If I use my gift cards, no reward points. On the other hand, reward points mean gift cards. What to do.

·
Registered
795 Posts
On CNN ireports this morning there is a house in Pennsylvania with 210,000 Christmas lights that are synchronized to blink with music. That would drive me absolutely batty if I lived in the neighborhood! http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-157278

Errrr.....that house doesn't happen to belong to anyone here at kindleboards does it???

What are the worst and/or the best holiday decorated homes that anyone has seen so far?

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
On CNN ireports this morning there is a house in Pennsylvania with 210,000 Christmas lights that are synchronized to blink with music. That would drive me absolutely batty if I lived in the neighborhood! http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-157278

Errrr.....that house doesn't happen to belong to anyone here at kindleboards does it???

What are the worst and/or the best holiday decorated homes that anyone has seen so far?
They've been making a big deal about this sort of thing for a few years now but it's not that hard to do. Most towns probably have at least one, it's just a question of who gets the press. The music doesn't play out loud in the neighborhood; it's broadcast to an FM frequency that you can pick up on your car radio as you drive by. The difficulty is, when there IS press, it's murder on the neighborhood because of all the extra cars driving past at 5 mph. There's a house across the street from friends of ours in Springfield that did one for Halloween. Haven't been down lately to see if they've got Christmas going yet.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
There's a house near us in Alexandria that is great at Christmas, and they do the FM broadcast thing to, which is only good for a blocks or two, BTW.  I have a picture somewhere that I took a couple of years ago.  If I can find it, I'll post it.

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
One of the decorated houses in our area was featured on HGTV two years ago.  I found a street last year where the neighbors must try to outdo each other. 

I'm taking the grandkids to the park Saturday night.  Light show, Santa, entertainment, food.  My grandson's class will be singing there the following Saturday, so we'll go again.  They'll also be singing on the local radio station.  And, of course, there's the obligatory Christmas concert at school.  I've heard the band and the chorus, and for a first year school, they are wonderful. 

Nearly finished with my shopping.  One gift card and two items from Amazon and I think I'm done.  Now I just have to wait for my friendly UPS guy and wrap, wrap, wrap.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I knew it was Christmas when those awful Garmin commercials butchering Carol of the Bells started showing up.

Luckily I got all my shopping done in the middle of November. I'm no fool.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, here it is the first week of Dec. and I have no decorations up. We are keeping things simple this year, my husband and I are buying a flat screen tv for our Christmas, so that means no running around like crazy. The other few gifts have been bought. The mall by us was almost deserted Black Friday, so we were able to get great deals without the crowds. But I have been so focused on end of semester work that I have been neglecting my house. I go to bed each night hoping when I get up the elves will have been here and done it all for me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.