Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to recommend title someone and told them it was $3 and change and now they are ALL $9.99!! Lots of jumps in prices lately.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You know, last time I went shopping in the Kindle store, I noticed a lot of the books now have a -- I am trying to remember exactly what it was called -- someting like a 'digital suggested retail price' on them. Like the publisher's price is $29.99, Amazon's price is $19.99 for the same book, and now we have a digital list price of $23.99 for that book, and Amazon's Kindle price is $9.99.

I also am noticing some digital versions of books creeping up in price. A couple of books I had thought of buying after reading samples, I decided not to buy after seeing their prices, which were in the $15 range rather than the $9.99 I have grown used to.

So now if the publishers are setting "digital list prices" that Amazon discounts from, is the end of the cheap Kindle book near?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a long wish list of books. I wonder if I should just buy them all now (oh my dear credit card), because if a book jumps from $3 to $9 I will be so pissed off that I probably will never buy it.

Steve

G

·
I suspect that it is partly the power of Kindleboards.  It seems that many of the books that get recommended here (like the Robbins books) or are mentioned in the Bargain Books thread quickly jump in price after several Kindleboarders jump on them.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim:  So what we need to do is create a new secret website with the most boring, uninteresting name and have it be our Kindleboards suggestion site.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Or we could use reverse psychology: "Don't read this book! Absolutely!  Don't read it! It's not worth $9.99!"

Of course, we'd have to work out a super-secret code so we could tell which books were really being recommended, and which ones we were really trashing.

I guess this is why I never grew up to be an evil overlord -- my plots always seem to have these gaping holes in them!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't buy books that are over 9.99 for a single book, I wait for them to come down in price or I just don't get them. I have bought books that have more the 3 or 4 full books in them for more than 9.99, but when I did the math, it was less then 7 book per book.

I agree these price jump are getting out of hand.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jah:  I, like you, do not pay more than $9.99. Those titles kind of ticked me off because they were lower and jumped...now I will tell others not to give them the $atisfaction.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree whole heartedly. I usually wait for the paperback version to come out before I buy a book but even those prices are jumping. Most of Janet Dailey's books (which I read everyonce in awhile) were $1.00 and now they are all over $6 & $7 each. Alot of the ones I have on my wish list jumped atleast $3 lately. Guess I will hold out on those. Why pay more if you don't have to.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
sjc said:
Jim: So what we need to do is create a new secret website with the most boring, uninteresting name and have it be our Kindleboards suggestion site.
I have 2 suggestions for website names that no one will go to:

1. Fly Fishing for Introverts - a spine tingling look into the zany world of introvert fly fishing

2. Make a Lot of Money in the Stock Market Fast - people don't even open their brokerage statements anymore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts