Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have just been working on updating this article at our main site, and thought I would post it here. There may be a few resources that you may not have come across. Hope it helps a few people:

Writer’s Resources: Indispensable Tools for Every Aspiring Author

Would also be interested to hear if you have found anything really useful too!

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Your site is using tight security. I cant access it from Brazil. It must think I'm attempting a hack lol;

I'll try using VPN from a US server later.

Error 1020
Ray ID: 653ec13aec642dda • 2021-05-23 13:50:42 UTC Access denied
What happened?

This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your site is using tight security. I cant access it from Brazil. It must think I'm attempting a hack lol;

I'll try using VPN from a US server later.
I checked and there was a block in place for Brazil. It was added to our firewall when we were the target of excessive bot activity and has now been relaxed, so should be okay now.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Your list of tools has some interesting ones I'll need to check out. Thanks!

Some updates to consider:

Your point #3 doesn't need the 'Gimp which has a steep learning curve' note, Gimp is only different than Photoshop and thus seems hard if someone already learned Photoshop. Learning Gimp 'first' gives Photoshop a steep learning curve. Just include Gimp and a link to youtube beginner videos. Some may prefer using Inkscape which works like Illustrator, as another option (advantage is that it uses vector art and is thus more scalable for fonts and embellishments that might be used like creating cover 'tattoos').

Item #9 you could include Netfirms as they are one of the top three 'source domains' that sell to the others like your note of HostGator to resell. I've found Netfirms was the lowest cost option ($10-$12/year after an even lower introductory price) and reliable. Then just use the URL redirect feature to point at your Wordpress hosted content. You should stress that it's often best to split URL and Hosting to two different companies so you are not held hostage by a Hosting site, I got burned getting both from the same place before. And stress that Wordpress free has some restrictions (like direct payments and some extended features) where basic to premium subscriptions might do better for some authors. I use Wordpress free.

You could also add LibreOffice and other software for actually writing the book content and producing the .doc/.pdf files to upload. Open Office can do the same but they lag behind LibreOffice updates. LibreOffice has both 'dark' and 'distraction free' modes to write without clutter. You could also list some other text programs writers are using to create stories along with outlining/plotting software (I use Freeplane currently and have used Xmind in the past).

And cover title fonts. You may want to build up an item covering font sources like google fonts, fontsquirrel, and the others ... including a warning and/or how to verify to avoid potential commercial use restrictions. Fonts are important since font style and placement can make/break a cover's success like don't use a rom-com font on a horror story. And include that the title needs to be 'readable' at Amazon's thumbnail size.

Maybe those topics help.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Maybe those topics help.
Some interesting ideas there @jvin248. Certainly some food for thought on next update.

With regard to Wordpess (free), are you referring to sites hosted @wordpress.com? Perhaps I should make a distinction or at least explain the difference between that and self-hosted Wordpress.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I checked and there was a block in place for Brazil. It was added to our firewall when we were the target of excessive bot activity and has now been relaxed, so should be okay now.
Thanks. I have access now. Bookmarked.

Reactions: Kathy Dee

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Some interesting ideas there @jvin248. Certainly some food for thought on next update.

With regard to Wordpess (free), are you referring to sites hosted @wordpress.com? Perhaps I should make a distinction or at least explain the difference between that and self-hosted Wordpress.
Yes, it's important to make that distinction and clarification.
I started out a decade ago using Wordpress.org software on rented cloud virtual machine slices and then a physical (bare iron) server box built on Linux, but eventually the maintenance made me go to the free level of Wordpress.com so I could write more and maintain less. That was after learning the lesson with buying the URL and Hosting from the same place that was sold/acquired at least three times with fluctuating performance and cost issues from which I became determined to avoid being held hostage ever again. I buy the URL separate from whatever hosting method I use and just pointed to the host machine slice, then the bare iron physical server, then the Wordpress.com site. When I decide to change hosting again all I do is flip the URL redirect pointer.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started out a decade ago using Wordpress.org software on rented cloud virtual machine slices and then a physical (bare iron) server box built on Linux
You old techie, you! :)

Anyway, you're right about writing more and supporting less - that's a definite plus point for the Wordpess.com option. But you need to go to the business plan so you can install plugins. There are some great ones out there that we would not be without. Hmmm, you gave me an idea for another post :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts