Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to write, and I have always done it, one way or another: school's journal, diary, blog, ten thousand chapter ones...

And now, I'm 37. I'll be 38 in September. And I'm having the kind of ticking clock some women have about motherhood.

I feel that if I don't start now my writing career, that I won't ever have the time to write as much as I need to, that I won't be able to publish enough.

That I won't leave a mark on the world, as insignificant as it might be.  :p

I feel I have lost so many years waiting for just the right time to start being a writer. I wish I knew then what I know now: that you don't have more time when you get older. That you don't have to wait to be published anymore. I wish I had worked on a backlist then.

And now I sleep, eat, breathe writing, every hour of every day. It's become an obsession.

Do you have the writerhood ticking clock too?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm breathing down the neck of 60.  The clock is deafening.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brendajcarlton said:
I'm breathing down the neck of 60. The clock is deafening.
OMG Brenda, I can hear it from here! :eek:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Yes. That's why I worked on publishing my first one. Now I plan to get out 4-6 a year.

You have to make time to write. It's developing a discipline, just like for anything you want to be successful at in life.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LisaGraceBooks said:
Yes. That's why I worked on publishing my first one. Now I plan to get out 4-6 a year.

You have to make time to write. It's developing a discipline, just like for anything you want to be successful at in life.
You're right, and I'm making time to write.
It's hard, and I sleep less, and I don't write as much or as fast as I wish, but at least there's SOMETHING. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know the feeling. I'm only 30--going o 31--but in my Great Life Plan, I was supposed to be a famous Author Rockstar Ghostbuster by now and I'm not.

Like Lisa said, it's all about making writing a priority and doing it, instead of hoping it magically comes together some day (of course I still hope that  ;)). You're doing it, though! You're releasing stuff, which is awesome.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RoseInTheTardis said:
I know the feeling. I'm only 30--going o 31--but in my Great Life Plan, I was supposed to be a famous Author Rockstar Ghostbuster by now and I'm not.

Like Lisa said, it's all about making writing a priority and doing it, instead of hoping it magically comes together some day (of course I still hope that ;)). You're doing it, though! You're releasing stuff, which is awesome.
The hardest is to find balance.
Writing cannot be my top priority.

I always told myself that when the kids would be in school I would spend my days writing, but my kids don't go to school much due to their handicap, and I have to take them to therapy etc., so that takes precedence.

But 2013 is my year of becoming a writer! I'll try to release some stuff I have already written, and I will at least write one more novel during NaNoWriMo, so there's at least that. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Recently, I've started to hear the ticking clock. I really, REALLY want to quit my job and just write full-time. I'll probably slog it out a bit longer, though, at least until I get another one or two books up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 66. I've been writing for quite a while, but just started publishing three years ago. I don't feel the least bit rushed, though I do feel that whatever legacy I have will be in my books. I hope to have many more available before it's all said and done. I'm in no hurry. Quality comes before quantity.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
The hardest is to find balance.
Writing cannot be my top priority.
Oh yeah. It doesn't need to be THE top priority, it just needs to be somewhere near the top. Real life and things like kids are obviously going to win out.

But 2013 is my year of becoming a writer! I'll try to release some stuff I have already written, and I will at least write one more novel during NaNoWriMo, so there's at least that. ;)
YAY! You can do it. There's still a lot of 2013 left.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I was going to do the whole wait until my son starts school thing as well - but I couldn't wait, I was too impatient.  It's a real struggle due to the lack of sleep/time, but knowing that I'm working on it helps to keep me sane!  

Yes - I do feel that there's an invisible (and inaudible) clock slowly ticking down.  

G

·
I'm 29, but I feel like I should have started self-publishing my novels much sooner. The 'trad pub is the only way' mentality stayed with me way too long - but at least waiting this long let me see Ruecole do JRTomlin's cover so I knew to get her to do mine!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I could probably name a few-dozen personal WiPs, in various stages of incompletion, off the top of my head. Sitting down to wrap one up tends to spur more. Poking around on Fotolia can spur more. Listening to music can spur more. Reading or watching something can spur more. A random comment I hear in passing can spur more.

I'm only 25, but considering how my popcorn kittens are already out of control…

Yes, I feel the clock, too.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
northwooder said:
I'm 66. I've been writing for quite a while, but just started publishing three years ago. I don't feel the least bit rushed, though I do feel that whatever legacy I have will be in my books. I hope to have many more available before it's all said and done. I'm in no hurry. Quality comes before quantity.
I'm 62. I've been selling writing in one form and another since I was 18. I've spent years working day jobs and writing on the side, and years working strictly as a writer. Now I'm back to the 9-to-5 and writing before work each morning.

I can't wait to hit 66 and retire and write full time again. So for me, the clock isn't ticking fast enough (in this one way...ticks waay too fast in other ways).

·
Registered
285 Posts
I definitely feel it, a bit. I never really committed to publishing my writing, though I always knew I'd epub it eventually. I didn't have a reason to finish things, so I let the finished drafts pile up, without revisions. Now, I have my publishing schedule for the next two years, and it's all stuff I wrote in the past five years. If I'd gotten it OUT as I went, I'd have a small readership base by now, and might have been earning coffee-change with it during this whole time. It's harder to build your brand as an author now than it would have been if I'd been more committed when I started. So now I feel the clock ticking as I try to make up the difference.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It is never to late to become the person you might have been.
George Elliot

Love that quote.

I sympathize! This is what I think to feel better. Nobody knows how many years they really have. You could have another fifty! When you think of that, a career of fifty is quite a long time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes! Absolutely!

I'm only 32, and in a lot of ways I don't feel mature enough to write some of the books I want to write. But I have 18 WIPs that I feel strongly about (and who knows how many new ideas might pop up), and I really want to see them finished. But I write SLOW, and I always have. It's just the way my process works. And in six years, I'll be the same age my mom was when she died, so I know age is not always a factor in how long we have left. Tick, tick, tick.

At least now with self-publishing, there's no publisher to get in my way of getting things done. Just myself.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Try listening to the clock when you're in your 70s. That's when you'll really understand time passing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts