Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever undertaken courses with the Writers Bureau?
I am wondering if it is worthwhile doing and if it will benefit me at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
Has anyone ever undertaken courses with the Writers Bureau?
I am wondering if it is worthwhile doing and if it will benefit me at all.
I wouldn't sign up for anyone who constantly advertises with full page spreads in magazines for writers stating: Why not be a writer, etc. Pretty dumbass thing to do if you ask me. "Totally illogical, captain Kirk." as old big ears would say.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Don't do it. I learned more about writing on Authonomy but it's changed dramatically now.

Youwriteon.com is supposed to be good or search the internet for any specific problems you have.

Or, I'm on a roll here, someone suggested this to me many years ago, take a well-known novel and copy out 50 pages. You'll be surprised what tips you pick up.  ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice.
I am guessing no one thinks this is a positive move then? you read testimonials stating "I published 20 books with the help of Writers Bureau" (for example- possible exaggeration but you know what I mean) but you never know if these testimonials are falsified or not.
I just wondered if any of the published authors here actually used the service. Maybe I should just save my money!

·
Registered
586 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
Thank you for the advice.
I am guessing no one thinks this is a positive move then? you read testimonials stating "I published 20 books with the help of Writers Bureau" (for example- possible exaggeration but you know what I mean) but you never know if these testimonials are falsified or not.
I just wondered if any of the published authors here actually used the service. Maybe I should just save my money!
Try doing a search for those people who are mentioned in the testimonials. I could never find one with a published book.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
When the muse first struck and I did a Writer's Bureau course and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just to put things in context - I hadnt written for 25 years (since school) and had the itch to write but didnt have a clue how to go about it.
The course starts with non-fiction and then moves onto fiction.
It gave me the confidence to write non-fiction articles (which were published by The Lady, The Veterinary Times, Your Cat magazine et.c et.c) The fiction part of the course was less helpful and the most useful advice I was given was that my style is better suited to longer works (novels) than short stories, although I did have had several short stories published as a result of the course.
WB 'did what it says on the tin.' They got me started, returned my marked assignments promptly and gave me confidence HOWEVER if you have any experience in publishing already then they are probably not for you.
If I did the same course now I would think it was hopeless, much too simple and not critical enough.
If you have a modicum of experience and want to enrol on a course, then some of the courses run by writing journals are much better....or I moved onto self-help writing manuals...

Just my thoughts....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts