Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you are involved in writers groups? I think they're very helpful, if nothing else, then to poke you in the butt to get moving. I usually leave a meeting with a pretty good vibe to get back into writing. They're also good for networking.

Now, the odds of this are slim, but I want to invite anyone from the NW Ohio/SE Michigan area to the Northwest Ohio Writers' Forum meeting this Saturday, June 20.

10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Holland Branch Library
1032 S. McCord Rd, Holland, OH

This is right next to Toledo. Members will read from their own works. It's always one of the better meetings of the year.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I actually plan to join a writer's group pretty soon, if for no other reason than just the camaraderie. Being around other writers is more than enough inspiration to keep me going.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camaraderie is a great thing. After hanging around here for a while, I finally got passed my latest writers block and started a new book. Ideas flow from where you get inspiration. Whatever you find helpful, use it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Dave,

I think most authors are a generous lot of people and enjoy helping one another out. We face the same struggles and share many of the same goals. Most importantly, we don't give each other that "What the heck are you talking about?" look when we start rambling on about subjects like The Elements of Style, Voltaire, quatrains, iambic pentameters, deus ex machina, or any number of writing-related subjects that get our blood racing! When in the company of other authors being "bookwormish" is a virtue."

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
The best writer's group is the networking of some 120 Indie authors who have become my friends on Amazon, Kindleboards, GLWR and IAG. Formal writing groups can sometimes be helpful for the newbie and the unpublished, but the ones tht I have come in contact stymied cretivity and had so much self importance as to become organized religions. I prefer he support of th onlinecommunity, most who will give you the shirt off their backs, the commas fo their paragrpahs and will zoom into specific hurdles that authors need to irradicate. Plus where else can you line up nd dance naked Congas.

Edward C. Patterson

Has Everone seen Amazon's new Discussion group produc link feature?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Edward C. Patterson said:
I prefer he support of th onlinecommunity, most who will give you the shirt off their backs, the commas fo their paragrpahs and will zoom into specific hurdles that authors need to irradicate.
Ed,

Seeing how much I despise commas, you can have each and every last one that shows up in my books. See. I told you we authors were gracious folks! ;D

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The best writer's group is the networking of some 120 Indie authors who have become my friends on Amazon, Kindleboards, GLWR and IAG.
I agree with you, Ed. I also belong to a writers' group in my county and recently it has degenerated badly due to lack of interest. But I've made a few good friends thanks to the group and we still call each other and sometimes go out for lunch and talk writing and everything else. I also belong to an online critique group that has been really helpful in getting my work edited. The support and friendship of other writers is invaluable because they understand in a way that non writers don't and my writer friends certainly do motivate me to keep going even when I reach a tough spot in my book.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I join critique groups at writing conferences. They help some, and I did try to start one in my area. Thing is finding people that you can schedule. Sometimes it's just hard finding the time to meet.

I also have professional critiques done with editors at the conferences. Gives you a chance to meet and talk with other writers and editors. It's really helped me learn the revision process, where the magic of writing happens.

I do have another unique approach to Writing Groups. My day job is teaching. So through a teaching technique called "Writer's Workshop", I teach my class the writing process by developing the techniques of a writing group. I teach them peer editing/revision and use my novel to model a whole class writing group. I even pulled in one of my author friends and had my class do a Writer's Critique with her at the end of the year.

It's amazing how their writing improves along with mine. Plus, I get a unique perspective of seeing what children enjoy and like. Don't have to guess. They brutally tell me what works or doesn't. Nothing like children's honesty to help you cut the stuff that doesn't work or embellish what works.

Anyway, that's what I've found works for me and my novels. I'm in the process of rewriting the second manuscript from the read-aloud modeling I did with my class at the end of the year. Totally fabulous way to write, sharing yourself with your students and then your readers. Hopefully it creates a book that the current generation will like. It takes out the adult guess work on what kids are thinking and doing right now, creating a better novel/book product. Overall, I'm finding it's an approach that is working for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been a member of a writer's group for the past 4 years. www.romancedivas.com They have been a huge help to me as a writer, and I think my writing has improved greatly by being a member there.
Before RD, I was a member of www.critiquecircle.com. I found a lot of help there, but they're not genre specific (like RD). The members at CC come from all genres of writing.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Our local writer's group are worse than a panel of acquisition editors. None have been published, and they are like the front row on a roller derby team. If you come in with hopes and dreams, they will dash them for you. Of course, I have never given them anything of mine to critque. I prefer the opinions of professionals and, more importnatly, readers, However, I have noticed that there are many such packs of dream-eaters around the country, who preach such horrible things like Plot, Grammer and, heavens to Murgatroyd . . . Outlines. Yikes.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My (limited) experiences with writer's groups are that they are a lot of fun (with the right people) but they aren't especially helpful or productive. It's a lot of ooohing and ahhhing over each others' work, with little critique or directional guidance. Worthwhile if your goal is to meet other writers and make some friends; not so much if you really want help creating something publishable.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
The best writer's group I have encountered is Kindleboards Writer's Support Thread. I acknowledged that thread in my last published novel.

Ed Patterson

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to agree with Thumper. It's mostly for fun that I go. I did state earlier in the thread that they keep me motivated to turn something out.

However, after a while it begins to seem like having a subscription to "Writer's Digest," meaning the same topics come up and everything cycles over again every 18 mos.

I have been getting most of my inspiration from Kindleboards lately. Of course, my writers' group does take the summer off...

·
Registered
831 Posts
... who preach such horrible things like Plot, Grammer and, heavens to Murgatroyd . . . Outlines. Yikes.

Edward C. Patterson
Nooooo!!! Not outlines!!!!

Could you pass me a bowl of adjectives please... alliterating ones if you've got them...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ah, have a bite of this apple, my dear - it's filled with pernicious adverbs. He he he. Cackle, cackle.

Ed Patterson
I have now fallen into a deep sleep with alliterating dreams of ... invitingly insidious ingratitude proliferated by incongruous interpretations of insipid idealism... nooooo.... the nightmare... they're coming to suck the creativity from the marrow of my bones... awake me sweet prince before my soul is sucked into the leeching morass of the logical mind... oh where is my prince?

prince?

Oh never mind... I'll go write my prince... *Big Grins*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts