Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm a Kindle author, but I'm also a psychologist interested in the creative process. I'm currently running an online experiment for which I need writers. It takes just over half an hour - I'm afraid I can't pay you, but you might find the experiment fun, and you'll be doing your bit for science!

If you're interested, do read on:

The experiment will ask you to continue writing a scene after a brief genre-based prompt to get you going. You'll do this three times. There's also a brief pre-experiment questionnaire and post-experiment questionnaire. Your participation is entirely voluntary and you can stop at any time. The study is being conducted by a qualified psychologist - me, a Senior Lecturer in Psychology in the Department of Applied Social Sciences, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK.

There's more detailed information on the experiment page itself, which you can get to via this link:

https://cccusocialsciences.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_08jkUORvegQXDcF

OK, thanks for reading! Any questions, let me know...

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
691 Posts
Okay, I did it. :p  It woke my brain up. I would give indications as to which twisted submission I am, but that would give away the experiment. I'm the 'South Africa' one. Hope you get what you need :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ian! Glad it woke up your brain! I'll let you know what the study finds...

G

·
Thanks. It might help shift the writer's block. (Currently caused by a character not doing what I thought they would)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VH Folland said:
Thanks. It might help shift the writer's block. (Currently caused by a character not doing what I thought they would)
Let me know if it does, VH!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G

·
Question:

In which genre do you prefer to write: the options seem strange. Fairy Tale isn't a genre per se. Science fiction is listed, but not horror or fantasy. I realize that it isn't practical to list all conceivable genres, but including something like "humour" over "YA" seems an odd choice.

Just an observation.

This was entertaining, in any event.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Question:

In which genre do you prefer to write: the options seem strange. Fairy Tale isn't a genre per se. Science fiction is listed, but not horror or fantasy. I realize that it isn't practical to list all conceivable genres, but including something like "humour" over "YA" seems an odd choice.

Just an observation.

This was entertaining, in any event.
That's a good point, Julie. If I were to run the study again, I'd probably tweak that.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morgan Curtis said:
It's funny, I just knocked out 1200 or so words in less than 30 minutes but struggle at times to get 1000 a day on my own writing.
Hah! It's like one of Hemingway's finger-finger exercises, I guess... Many thanks for taking part!

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ian,

Interesting experiment which unfortunately crashed close to the end (frustratingly, after I'd written the 3 pieces). Might have been my browser (Chrome) but you might want to check you site in case it's at your end.

Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vrabinec said:
I never do this kind of stuff, but it was fun. It'd be interesting to see some of the other responses.
Thanks for helping me out. Alas, I can't disseminate anything that other participants have come up, though I've no doubt they'll be interesting!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steeplechasing said:
Ian,

Interesting experiment which unfortunately crashed close to the end (frustratingly, after I'd written the 3 pieces). Might have been my browser (Chrome) but you might want to check you site in case it's at your end.

Good luck
Joe
Thanks, Joe. The software does actually record partial responses, so hopefully I've got them...

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just did it! That was actually a lot of fun. Thanks for the opportunity. I must warn you that I was without my glasses, and my grammar probably suffered  somewhat due to the "GO!" factor.  :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David Scroggins said:
I just did it! That was actually a lot of fun. Thanks for the opportunity. I must warn you that I was without my glasses, and my grammar probably suffered somewhat due to the "GO!" factor. :D
Thanks, David!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts