Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, you all know how hard it can be to get your characters talking sometimes.
So when they are just shouting at you and ready to talk to you, you run to the laptop right?

No, according to my husband you do the laundry first,
Seriously?

Don't get me Wong, normally he's very supportive. And yes the laundry is past being over due. But the laundry didn't bring in money last month. Not to sound like an a**hole or anything but c'mon.
Okay, I suck at keeping up with house work and he does his part but when I get in a writing zone, I blank everything else out. That's why its great that we don't have kids yet, i can be selfish for now.

So, um...what's work with getting a person to clean up our studio apartment once a week? We are making better money now and we are saving. We are not getting any thing fancier than a flat screen TV. So, why,why can't we get a cleaning person once a week? He works two jobs, I have a whole novel to write and a series of short stories.
What's wrong with getting help? Am I wrong? I just feel like he doesn't get how important it is to get to the laptop when they are talking to you. And he's like "well you can do do some of the work, when you come back from writing" but by then, I'm fried.

Am I being crazy???

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
take the laptop with you to the laundry?  it's not like you need to be paying attention to the laundry every minute? 

unfortunately, people who work outside the home tend to forget that working at home is still working.  and that it is subject to creative schedule, not a 9-5 one.

and i'm all for getting someone else to do the laundry.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thayer Berlyn said:
According to the journalist, Brenda Ueland, writing must always come before laundry.

:)
According to author Margaret Lake, everything comes before laundry. Which reminds me, I have to take a load out of the washer and put it into the dryer. But then that means that in an hour, I'll have to put it away. Didn't they make disposable paper clothes about 20-30 years ago? Whatever happened to that?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm lucky, I found a laundromat/coffeehouse, so I can kill two birds with one stone.

I think you're ultimately right, because that is your emotional reaction to the situation, that you feel the writing comes first. And you have to follow your muse or she/he/it will go away.

·
Registered
681 Posts
trublue said:
(A)ccording to my husband you do the laundry first

Am I being crazy???
Laundry is urgent but not important. Writing is important but not urgent.

You have a tough problem. In your priorities, writing stands higher than laundry. Your husband wants you to change your priorities to match his priorities.

I used to use a laundry service. Wash, dry, and fold. The service operated out of a laundromat some blocks from my home. It was a better use of my time to have them do my laundry than for me to do it myself. By better, I mean measurable in dollars.

Would a laundry service work for you?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What,

I think I'm just going to have someone come in and clean once a week.
It's hard because we are from a thrid world country where you do 4 jobs, come home and work some more.
And getting help is considered spoiled. But he works two jobs, and I write all day.
Just because I'm not in an office doesn't mean I'm not working. And its not fair to walk into the apartment feeling good about having written for 8 hrs, then see a messy apt. And feel like a failure.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
trublue said:
Okay, you all know how hard it can be to get your characters talking sometimes.
So when they are just shouting at you and ready to talk to you, you run to the laptop right?

No, according to my husband you do the laundry first,
Seriously?

Don't get me Wong, normally he's very supportive. And yes the laundry is past being over due. But the laundry didn't bring in money last month. Not to sound like an a**hole or anything but c'mon.
Okay, I suck at keeping up with house work and he does his part but when I get in a writing zone, I blank everything else out. That's why its great that we don't have kids yet, i can be selfish for now.

So, um...what's work with getting a person to clean up our studio apartment once a week? We are making better money now and we are saving. We are not getting any thing fancier than a flat screen TV. So, why,why can't we get a cleaning person once a week? He works two jobs, I have a whole novel to write and a series of short stories.
What's wrong with getting help? Am I wrong? I just feel like he doesn't get how important it is to get to the laptop when they are talking to you. And he's like "well you can do do some of the work, when you come back from writing" but by then, I'm fried.

Am I being crazy???
C'mon. Laundry is so simple that even housework-phobic guys can do it. Sort it, load it into the machine, press the buttons. Write for a while. Unload it and either hang it on a line or load it into the dryer. The actual time involved in "doing" laundry is negligible. The machines do the work.

When not physically writing your mind does not stop. You can still work on your novel whilst doing other things. I will compose much of an article while mowing the lawn or washing the cars. If I really need to make a note of something I can use the iPhone.

"Siri, email me. Say ............" - "send".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does your husband do laundry? ;)  I agree writing is more important. Trying to do laundry and write between loads can be incredibly thought shifting.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is your husband having to cycle through dirty shirts while you're writing? If so, then yes it is past overdue. And you should get to it. 

Anyway, my overall take is that you and husband need to agree to a routine and stick to it.  Laundry time. Writing time. Vacuuming time and so on. Don't mix them up, and don't allow him to intrude into your writing time either. I know sometimes you can't control when the muse strikes, but my feeling is that if your inspiration is that earth shattering, you'll remember it well after laundry time.

Besides I don't quite see laundry as such an exhausting activity that saps your creative juices, unless you're doing it by hand? Even then it's such a mindless activity, people think about plot points while doing the washing.

Anyway, if you two can't stick to routine, then yes get a maid and save yourself the hassle. However, you seem to want to have kids later on, so I'll say that learning to stick to a routine is important now, because it becomes even more important when the kids come along.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
My two cents: Hire a weekly cleaner. Suggest that your husband also treat himself to something special, now that your income is growing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you can afford to get a cleaning person, and you can afford to have someone do your laundry (like the fluff and fold joints?), do it.

There's no reason why taking care of those things is any more automatically your job than they are your husband's. If you're working and he's working, you can get help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I take the computer to the laundry mat. Can always try recording yourself thinking outloud if you have to do folding and such. This thread reminds me of "After the ecstacy, the laundry."

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have a lot of things to do. I'm working from home as a consultant while taking care of two handicapped children that are very active and need a lot of attention. I was having a hard time cleaning the house by myself, it was beginning to be a hassle. For my birthday, I asked my husband to please hire a cleaning lady. She comes three hours a week, and the house is spotless. I only have minimal things to do like laundry and filling the dishwasher. Well worth the money and freeing my mind to do other things.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm having the same problems being a stay-at-home dad with two young children. I do the laundry, sort it after the dryer, but I often don't get to folding it neatly. My children are just now learning to be less messy, but I still have to vacuum every day and mop the hard floors every week. I try to get everything done, but I'm also giving courses in conflict resolution and self defense, and writing.

We're also thinking about getting a cleaning lady once a week to clean the bathroom and do the kind of things I can't be bothered with.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I have a housekeeper.

It's the greatest thing.

Have someone come in one time "just to try it."

Your partner may be stressed that things in your life are changing, and trying to exert control where he can. Generalizing here, but men really like for things to stay how they are.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts