Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of Ice Age 4. SICK.
Yet I can't go somewhere else, I need to keep an eye on my Shitling.
What do you do not to go crazy when you have to write with a child nearby? SEND ME GOOD VIBES I'M GOING CRAZY.  :eek:

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i've been there, so I can sympathize. Thankfully all mine are school-aged now (one is even in college!)... but now I have a 96-year-old father in the house, which in some ways is worse. He can't seem to understand that when I'm writing, I'm working, and that my writing helps pay the mortgage that keeps a roof over his head. When he wants something, he wants it now, and when he has a question, it has to be answered now. If I don't drop everything and pay attention to him when he wants me to, he will sulk and get cranky. This wreaks havoc on my concentration. It's almost like having a toddler again. :)

I don't know what to tell you, except do your best to write in the brief quiet times throughout the day. Even when you feel like you're not getting anything accomplished, if you type a few sentences every time you have the chance, you'll be amazed at how much you get done in a day.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MegHarris said:
i've been there, so I can sympathize. Thankfully all mine are school-aged now (one is even in college!)... but now I have a 96-year-old father in the house, which in some ways is worse. He can't seem to understand that when I'm writing, I'm working, and that my writing helps pay the mortgage that keeps a roof over his head. When he wants something, he wants it now, and when he has a question, it has to be answered now. If I don't drop everything and pay attention to him when he wants me to, he will sulk and get cranky. This wreaks havoc on my concentration. It's almost like having a toddler again. :)

I don't know what to tell you, except do your best to write in the brief quiet times throughout the day. Even when you feel like you're not getting anything accomplished, if you type a few sentences every time you have the chance, you'll be amazed at how much you get done in a day.
I cry for you too! :'(

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
What do you do not to go crazy when you have to write with a child nearby? SEND ME GOOD VIBES I'M GOING CRAZY. :eek:
Think yourself lucky for two reasons:

1. My version of Ice Age 4 is in Russian. And no one in my household actually understands Russian. It still doesn't stop it being played often though. (please, if you can tell me what the actual storyline is, I'd be most grateful.)

2. At least you can write with your child around. If I wrote with a child around I'd get questions like 'What is a
big hard dick
?' So obviously, it's a 'no go'. And as for doing covers, forget about it.

The grass is always greener... on your side. ;)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chrystalla said:
*sending good vibes*

are earplugs out of the question?
Thanks for the good vibes!

Earplugs are totally out of the question, I need to hear if there is something going on.
Like putting things in the toilet and flushing repeatedly, or jumping on the beds and boucing on the endtable, or spraying shampoo in the hall, or whatever crazy idea he has! ;D

Also, now that he speaks he asks questions, and won't quit until we have exhausted all his topics. ;D
The worst of it is the sounds he makes, though. The verbal stereotypies are constant and very, VERY annoying.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AnitaDobs said:
Think yourself lucky for two reasons:

1. My version of Ice Age 4 is in Russian. And no one in my household actually understands Russian. It still doesn't stop it being played often though. (please, if you can tell me what the actual storyline is, I'd be most grateful.)

2. At least you can write with your child around. If I wrote with a child around I'd get questions like 'What is a
big hard dick
?' So obviously, it's a 'no go'. And as for doing covers, forget about it.

The grass is always greener... on your side. ;)
Ehm the male mammoth gets on his daughter's nerves because he always stops her from becoming a grown-up. They get separated by some disaster and the groups is sailing away at sea and meets pirates. At the end the daughter shows she can handle herself and earns her father's trust. Also, whales, evil rabbits, and Braveheart gerbils.

About N°2... my kids don't read yeat. And even if they did, I write in English! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I agree that earplugs are not a good idea. You'll just have to resign yourself to memorizing every bit of dialogue in Ice Age 4. :)

If I wrote with a child around I'd get questions like...
Heh heh. Most of mine could read quite well from the time they were two or three. I had to make rules about not coming into Mommy's office without warning (the rules still apply). And I didn't let them hang out in my office, either. People who talk about sitting on the sofa in the family room and writing on their laptop while the kids swarm around always puzzle me-- don't they worry about their kids reading what they write? I sure do!

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
They say that all problems can be fixed with WD-40 and duct tape.  If it's supposed to move, but doesn't, use the WD-40.  If it's not supposed to move, but does, use the duct tape.

I'll let you figure out which is appropriate in this situation.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vrabinec said:
They offer child-sized versions of these.

Yeah but see, even with all the complaining I actually love my children... ;D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My writing life improved quit a bit when my son got headphones for his xbox (I hate the minecraft music!) and then when my daughter started watching movies on her kindle fire with headphones.  Of course, they're 12 and 9, not sure if little ones would use them. My biggest problem is my cat who wants to sit on the small bit of my body in front of the laptop.  Not easy to type over a cat.  Right now he's sitting on my left leg and my laptop is balanced on my right leg and the couch arm.  I think he's just using me for my warmth.

But I know what you guys mean. No one ever seems to get that writing is working.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Yeah but see, even with all the complaining I actually love my children... ;D
And think just how much MORE you'd love them, if they sat quietly, squirming in the corner with a muzzle on them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Ehm the male mammoth gets on his daughter's nerves because he always stops her from becoming a grown-up. They get separated by some disaster and the groups is sailing away at sea and meets pirates. At the end the daughter shows she can handle herself and earns her father's trust. Also, whales, evil rabbits, and Braveheart gerbils.
I see, but I still can't figure out the bit at the end with that big ugly creature on the iceberg. I do know there is a happy ending though. ;D Anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that what I think is going on is more interesting than the actual story.

MegHarris said:
Heh heh. Most of mine could read quite well from the time they were two or three. I had to make rules about not coming into Mommy's office without warning (the rules still apply). And I didn't let them hang out in my office, either. People who talk about sitting on the sofa in the family room and writing on their laptop while the kids swarm around always puzzle me-- don't they worry about their kids reading what they write? I sure do!
Ya, I basically give up when it's that time of day. He can always find some random question or excuse to disturb, and I only feel guilty otherwise. So I just end up playing transformers V.s Dinosaurs on the carpet. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em :-\

G

·
I'm told duct tape works wonders.

Sorry, I'm no help here. I have no rug rats. I do, however, have a Chewy (doberman/sheppard mix) who 80% of the time will just sit quietly guarding the doorway to my office. Unfortunately, the other 20% of the time is him jumping up and barking for NO APPARENT REASON and running back and forth from th kitchen door to the bay window to the front door to me, and then rinse and repeat two or three times.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
What do you do not to go crazy when you have to write with a child nearby? SEND ME GOOD VIBES I'M GOING CRAZY. :eek:
As long as my daughter doesn't interrupt me constantly, I'm fine. I put earbuds in and listen to music while I write so whatever is on TV doesn't bother me. My daughter is 12 now, but she was 8 when I started writing my first book. We had a small house and she basically sat next to me on the couch (like, right next to me because she likes to cuddle. ;D) and now that she's not right next to me, I miss her. lol. If she wasn't next to me, she would be going between my room and her room, playing with her stuffed animals. It was so cute to watch her. So, my suggestion, lots of stuffed animals and earbuds. ;) The great thing about stuffed animals are they are super easy to clean up.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I know the feeling, Nathalie (as you know!)

I'm supposed to be editing my novel at the moment and I'm finding it hard enough to get started anyway - let alone with the little one around.

I think one of the reasons I've been doing so many courses is, they are something productive that I can do while still watching my son.  He likes sitting on my lap and listening to Dean talking about Cliffhangers/Ideas/Openings/etc.  In fact, if I pause too long when taking notes, my son pushes my hand back towards the mouse to tell me to start the video up again!  I can make notes that way & my son also likes it when I type them up.  It's trickier with a wriggly toddler on my lap - but it's do-able.

My son can't speak yet - but, given that autism can involve delayed echolalia, when he does start forming words, I can't help wondering if he'll suddenly start announcing random writing advice!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
swolf said:
They say that all problems can be fixed with WD-40 and duct tape. If it's supposed to move, but doesn't, use the WD-40. If it's not supposed to move, but does, use the duct tape.

I'll let you figure out which is appropriate in this situation.
Haha! Next baby shower I go to, I am so bringing those two things in a pretty little basket--along with instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I find writing with a baby a total nightmare.  He's 14 months and I've baby proofed the floor of the house that contains his nursery and my study. So I let him play anywhere on this floor with all doors all open. Plenty of toys to amuse him here, but no, he just wants my constant attention and starts howling if I sit down at my desk.  I have done a little bit of howling myself, mainly at my spouse who is incapable of understanding why i can not work and look after the baby both at the same time.

I can only say that I have to write during nap time and after bed time which means I get no time off at all ever...... (feeling a bit sorry for myself today, so it's rather nice to hear of other people struggling too  ;) )

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MaryMcDonald said:
As long as my daughter doesn't interrupt me constantly, I'm fine. I put earbuds in and listen to music while I write so whatever is on TV doesn't bother me. My daughter is 12 now, but she was 8 when I started writing my first book. We had a small house and she basically sat next to me on the couch (like, right next to me because she likes to cuddle. ;D) and now that she's not right next to me, I miss her. lol. If she wasn't next to me, she would be going between my room and her room, playing with her stuffed animals. It was so cute to watch her. So, my suggestion, lots of stuffed animals and earbuds. ;) The great thing about stuffed animals are they are super easy to clean up.
Kids with autism have a hard time playing normally. So yeah, here it's mostly screams, running around (and falling), and throwing things on the floor. I actually have to force them to learn how to play normally, and they won't do it if I'm not there to enforce it. Le sigh. ;)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zelah Meyer said:
I know the feeling, Nathalie (as you know!)

I'm supposed to be editing my novel at the moment and I'm finding it hard enough to get started anyway - let alone with the little one around.

I think one of the reasons I've been doing so many courses is, they are something productive that I can do while still watching my son. He likes sitting on my lap and listening to Dean talking about Cliffhangers/Ideas/Openings/etc. In fact, if I pause too long when taking notes, my son pushes my hand back towards the mouse to tell me to start the video up again! I can make notes that way & my son also likes it when I type them up. It's trickier with a wriggly toddler on my lap - but it's do-able.

My son can't speak yet - but, given that autism can involve delayed echolalia, when he does start forming words, I can't help wondering if he'll suddenly start announcing random writing advice!
You spend so much time trying to teach them to speak, and praying that they'll learn words, and then when they start talking you just want them to SHUT UP FOR A MINUTE DAMMIT. ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts