Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I need some help as I am drawing blanks about adding sound to my writing. A character in my story is gazing upon the woods when she hears a gun cock behind her. as i can state it simply i would rather have the sound "come out of no where". But this is my problem since i do not know how to write the sound of a gun cocking. so far i have click click, but its too informal and strange for my liking! TYIA!

·
Registered
391 Posts
rosecaitlyn said:
Hi! I need some help as I am drawing blanks about adding sound to my writing. A character in my story is gazing upon the woods when she hears a gun cock behind her. as i can state it simply i would rather have the sound "come out of no where". But this is my problem since i do not know how to write the sound of a gun cocking. so far i have click click, but its too informal and strange for my liking! TYIA!
Most semi-auto weapons do not make much sound as they are cocked. They do make a distinct sound when the action (slide or bolt) is worked to chamber a round.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Watch some "Foley" youtube videos where they add sounds to movies.
Most famous revealed ones are the blaster shots and light sabers used in Star Wars.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think the thing I would think about if I wanted to emphasize that sound is that it's a contrast to what a character looking at the woods would be hearing.  Like, if you are listening to the birds, then even a little pang of metal on metal behind you would cut through everything.  Something where even the small click of a muffled gun makes you jump, just because it's so out of place, almost like hearing thunder in a blue sky.

Heh, but that's just me.  I'd probably focus more on the mood and the reaction of the gun cocking and less on the actual sound it makes.  Guess I only really focus on noises when they are part of a joke.  Like, when my characters have a cold, they get some ridiculous sneezing sounds.  Not sure if any of this helps, but hope you strike gold and get that sound you want.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
NikOK said:
I think the thing I would think about if I wanted to emphasize that sound is that it's a contrast to what a character looking at the woods would be hearing. Like, if you are listening to the birds, then even a little pang of metal on metal behind you would cut through everything. Something where even the small click of a muffled gun makes you jump, just because it's so out of place, almost like hearing thunder in a blue sky.
Very nicely put.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts