Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deep in Harry Turtledove's Worldwar-In the Balance. I'm enjoying it. A two-fer-one is available in the Bookstore.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, and the equal sign after the first [url

Thanks for the sharp eyes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, Bacardi Jim- I'll have a Cuba Libre with plenty of lime juice, dark rum.  Put it on my tab, please.   ;D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Try Turtledove's other series about that time period, it's a 10 book series, that begins with "How Few Remain", a very good alternative history.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the recommendation akw4572, or may I call you just akw?  ::)  I have three of his on my Kindle and am enjoying them, notwithstanding the numerous missing punctuation and misspellings in the first, Worldwar-In The Balance.  It's a shame that no one seems to proofread any more.  I don't know if they scan the old text and then use a text recognition program to digitize but whatever the publisher used it stinks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
whoa...this is an old thread. But figure I'd get my two and a half senrts in...Harry Turtledove seems to have an obsession with WWII. It seems every bit of alternative history he writes is connected with it in some way. Of course, he used to do the same thing with regards to the Byzantine Empire. Either way, he'd a brilliant writer.... ;D

·
Registered
20,264 Posts
Zackery Arbela said:
whoa...this is an old thread. But figure I'd get my two and a half senrts in...Harry Turtledove seems to have an obsession with WWII. It seems every bit of alternative history he writes is connected with it in some way. Of course, he used to do the same thing with regards to the Byzantine Empire. Either way, he'd a brilliant writer.... ;D
um, let's see, he's done civil war, WWI, Shakespearean England, an alternate US where we never seceded from England, a fantasy version of 1980's California, some 1920s/30s NY, various crosstime settings, oh and yeah, some WWII.

why? because WWII and the American Civil War are the wars with the most possibilities for altering.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
If I remember correctly, Turtledove has a PhD focusing on Byzantine history, so his Roman/Byzantine fixation is long-standing!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I tired to read Turtledove - but just can't get into him.

I think half the problem is that he just throws masses of names with little characterisation behind most of them, so you loose track of who is who.

And while I do enjoy alternative histories, I prefer ones that aren't far fetched - like having Germany win WWII. 

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I haven't tried Turtledove, but if alternate WWII books are your thing, I highly recommend "The Man In The High Castle" by Philip K. Dick (the guy who wrote the book Bladerunner was based on - the excellently titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep")

·
Registered
153 Posts
Turledove is a highly prolific writer, a model for us all...

Also, has anyone ever heard of a book called Fox on the Rhine? It's a WWII alt history in which the Stauffenberg plot to kill Hitler succeeds and Rommel takes control of the Third Reich. Can't quite remember the name of the author....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts