Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a web site, Facebook page, Goodreads Author page, post on Kindle forums, etc., etc., but I still wonder about ways to reach the YA audience. Being too direct (such as attempting to Friend) doesn't seem quite right, since the prospective readers would, obviously, be under 18.

So, just wondering what other authors of YAs do to promote their work directly to the readers (I'm comfortable with promoting to the parents and even grandparents of YAs). Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Start connecting with YA book bloggers. They are very influential when ti comes to getting the word out about YA books. Some of those bloggers are also teens. Keep in mind, many adults read YA as well. Getting your book mentioned or reviewed on a YA book blog will help spread the word to both teens and adults.

Start with Kristi, the "Story Siren" She is one of the most popular YA book bloggers:

http://www.thestorysiren.com/

And check out all of these:

http://yabookblogdirectory.blogspot.com/p/ya-book-blogger-list.html

Just to note, some bloggers won't be interested in reviewing self-published books. However, many will take the chance. Have various formats of your book to send out.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't market to the YA audience other than to send my book to YA book bloggers. (There are some great teen book bloggers out there with a TON of followers!) EDIT: I see Wendy gave you some great links!

I just go about my usual, chatting on here, and listing my book on regular book threads over on the Amazon Author's forum. There are a lot of adults who like YA too, so I don't go seeking out the teens necessarily. (There are a lot of teens online too, so if you post about a YA book in a normal forum they'll find it if they're looking.)

And I notice you haven't posted here much, so I clicked to see where most of your posts are. Looks like you could get out and post in the Not Quite Kindle forum here and socialize a bit.

And then while I was looking at your posts I got interested in your book All's Fair in Love and War so I bought it. ;D

Then I noticed you posted an ad for another book that looked good, Summer Replacement...but couldn't find a link for it so I went to your website but when I clicked on the "Kindle" copy Amazon gave me an error page. Just wanted to let you know there's an issue with that one.

Anyway, now I've got to get all my work done so I can start on your book! :D I love sweet romance!

Vicki

·
Registered
532 Posts
I second what Wendy and Vicky have advised. YA bloggers have been essential to my sales for Forever Mine. In the words of Amanda Hocking who I directly asked last year here on these very discussion boards about how she got so many reviews "YA bloggers are insatiable readers."  (mind you I had no idea at the time who she was lol )It's tedious to have to send out review requests but it's worth it in the end. Some of them are very grateful/honored for the request.
Good luck! =D

Eli     

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ha! I guess posting in forums like this really does help to sell books!

I just came back to read others' responses and ended up buying Eli's book! Then I came back and bought "All's Fair in Love and Words".

I have a YA book blog (which I have been neglecting, but am bringing back to life). Once I read and review both books, I'll send both of you a PM.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree with the others that it's better to market directly to the book bloggers. The teens who are interested in your work will eventually start to follow you...but actively pursuing them is far to time consuming (and since I'm a 43 year old male, a little creepy too  ;D).

I follow every book blogger I can on Twitter and a good percentage of them follow me back. If they tweet something that I think is of interest to my followers I retweet it. Twitter is also a great way to connect with bloggers who are already followers of your book.

And yes, I agree that it is mostly adults who are buying YA novels right now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wendy Jenae said:
Ha! I guess posting in forums like this really does help to sell books!

I just came back to read others' responses and ended up buying Eli's book! Then I came back and bought "All's Fair in Love and Words".

I have a YA book blog (which I have been neglecting, but am bringing back to life). Once I read and review both books, I'll send both of you a PM.
Thanks Wendy! Look forward to hearing from you! :)

Arthur Slade said:
I agree with the others that it's better to market directly to the book bloggers. The teens who are interested in your work will eventually start to follow you...but actively pursuing them is far to time consuming (and since I'm a 43 year old male, a little creepy too ;D).
This made me laugh but I don't think sending review requests would be construed as creepy. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I haven't marketed toward YA, but I already received an email from a YA reader who said she loved the book.  I think there is a lot of crossover happening both ways.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Definitely make use of Twitter and Facebook (set up an author page where people can like you--see this thread, http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,69219.0.html ) Just yesterday or so Vicki (Victorine) reminded us to use the 80/20 rule when posting to social media. Let 80% of what you do be about non-book-selling topics. It makes you interesting to others!

Best wishes for a long career. YA is the absolute cat's pajamas!

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Wendy Jenae said:
Start connecting with YA book bloggers. They are very influential when ti comes to getting the word out about YA books. Some of those bloggers are also teens. Keep in mind, many adults read YA as well. Getting your book mentioned or reviewed on a YA book blog will help spread the word to both teens and adults.

Start with Kristi, the "Story Siren" She is one of the most popular YA book bloggers:

http://www.thestorysiren.com/

And check out all of these:

http://yabookblogdirectory.blogspot.com/p/ya-book-blogger-list.html

Just to note, some bloggers won't be interested in reviewing self-published books. However, many will take the chance. Have various formats of your book to send out.
Thanks for the info. The Story Siren says she is not accepting self-published books. :(
Will try the other ones mentioned.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, everyone, thanks for all the advice! And thanks to Victorine and Wendy Jenae, who bought All's Fair in Love and Words. Hope you enjoy it!

I'm not sure what's going on with Summer Replacement. That's with a small epublisher (HSWF) that got bought out a couple of years ago and there have been a lot of problems ever since. Many of the authors are pulling their books from there (which is what I probably should get busy and do) and either publishing them themselves or selling to another epub.

I will check out the links provided here and the Not Quite Kindle forum, and everyone's books. (One problem I have is that our connection is very slow at times, so it can take a while for each page to download!)

Thanks again, everyone!

(Oh, and just as a tiny promo, which I hope you'll forgive, The Farewell Season does have romance in it, too, for those who like romance.)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
Wow, everyone, thanks for all the advice! And thanks to Victorine and Wendy Jenae, who bought All's Fair in Love and Words. Hope you enjoy it!

I'm not sure what's going on with Summer Replacement. That's with a small epublisher (HSWF) that got bought out a couple of years ago and there have been a lot of problems ever since. Many of the authors are pulling their books from there (which is what I probably should get busy and do) and either publishing them themselves or selling to another epub.

I will check out the links provided here and the Not Quite Kindle forum, and everyone's books. (One problem I have is that our connection is very slow at times, so it can take a while for each page to download!)

Thanks again, everyone!

(Oh, and just as a tiny promo, which I hope you'll forgive, The Farewell Season does have romance in it, too, for those who like romance.)
Well, I really wanted to read find Summer Replacement, so I clicked on your name on Amazon from your other book, and it gave me a list of all your books, and there it was! And now it's on my Kindle too. ;)

So if you want to repair the link on your website, just click your author name and it should list Summer Replacement so you can get the right link.

Vicki

PS, Can't wait to read your books!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Vicki! I hope you enjoy Summer Replacement, and I will go fix the link (or try to!).  That book was actually my very first book published. It was originally titled "Practice Makes Perfect" by the publisher (Crosswinds, then a YA imprint of Harlequin). They picked that title over the one I originally had, which is Summer Replacement, so it's come full circle.  :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
Thanks, Vicki! I hope you enjoy Summer Replacement, and I will go fix the link (or try to!). That book was actually my very first book published. It was originally titled "Practice Makes Perfect" by the publisher (Crosswinds, then a YA imprint of Harlequin). They picked that title over the one I originally had, which is Summer Replacement, so it's come full circle. :)
Yes, that's one really nice thing about indie publishing. If The Overtaking gets a traditional deal I'm not sure what they'll do to the title. Luckily I'm not totally married to it, so I won't be terribly disappointed if they change it.

Vicki

G

·
Victorine said:
Luckily I'm not totally married to it, so I won't be terribly disappointed if they change it.
For some reason that really reminded me of the poem The Applicant by Sylvia Plath.

It can sew, it can cook,
It can talk, talk, talk...
My boy, it's your last resort.
Will you marry it, marry it, marry it.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
foreverjuly said:
For some reason that really reminded me of the poem The Applicant by Sylvia Plath.

It can sew, it can cook,
It can talk, talk, talk...
My boy, it's your last resort.
Will you marry it, marry it, marry it.
Heehee, that made me giggle.

Vicki

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Victorine said:
Yes, that's one really nice thing about indie publishing. If The Overtaking gets a traditional deal I'm not sure what they'll do to the title. Luckily I'm not totally married to it, so I won't be terribly disappointed if they change it.
Vicki
Yes, if there's a nice advance involved, changing a title is not so much of an issue. ;D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts