Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I’ve been researching the hurdle that is “finding an editor”. What to look for, and the types of editing I need etc.

This is my first book intended for self publish, so I’m looking for a few things in an editor; basically, the works. Content editing, line/copy editing, and proofing. From what I’ve researched, ideally (especially for a newbie) I should have a different editor for each of those three parts, would you say this is true?

I’ve also read that when choosing an editor(s), one of the things you should look for are for those who read and edit books in your chosen genre. Therefore, would anybody be able to recommend editors who work with YA Paranormal/Fantasy Romance manuscripts?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I really wouldn't suggest having more than one editor. More than one proofreader is great but editing is a totally different thing. What you should really be looking for is an editor who matches your style and gets what you want to do with the story. I would suggest sending out emails to a number of people and asking for a sample edit. This will give you a good idea on their style and how you will work together. I'd start the search 2-3 months ahead of time if you can.

Hope that helps and good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I have to disagree a bit with Bethany, as unusual as that is.  ;)

On our publishing side, we put all of our books through at least two editors: a content editor and a line editor. Those are two different jobs.

However, on our editing side, while most of our clients simply go for the line editing, we do have some who order both services. 

It's really an author's choice, but there is no reason not to have a content editor assist with the manuscript first, then have a line editor go through it.

An author would need to be prepared for an occasional disagreement, but those are pretty rare, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Lynn McNamee said:
I have to disagree a bit with Bethany, as unusual as that is. ;)

On our publishing side, we put all of our books through at least two editors: a content editor and a line editor. Those are two different jobs.

However, on our editing side, while most of our clients simply go for the line editing, we do have some who order both services.

It's really an author's choice, but there is no reason not to have a content editor assist with the manuscript first, then have a line editor go through it.

An author would need to be prepared for an occasional disagreement, but those are pretty rare, in my experience.
Well I think that a little different since you have a house style and someone coordinating it all. This isn't something a person would get if the used two different editors that were unaffiliated (I've had this happen a time or two and it's a nightmare). So in your case, I think it's a fantastic way. That's how we work as well. I do mostly content while my partner is line and then we both do proofing.

So I guess really the issue would be in using editors from different companies. I should have clarified that before. Funny enough, I said this exact thing to my husband right after I posted this. :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Lynn McNamee said:
Dang!

So we didn't really disagree? :eek:

How am I going to start an argument and get the thread locked at this rate? :mad:

:D :D :D
:D

I think we'd go down in the history books if we could get a YA editor thread locked down. I could use a bump to my street cred. ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Er… thanks guys. :p

Bethany, do you have any experience with YA paranormal/fantasy Romance type manuscripts?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I suppose you don't want us getting into the most epic of epic fights and shutting down the thread.  ;D

Yeah, it's not only a genre I love to read but also edit. I have quite a bit of experience with that exact sort of YA, an area that only seems to be growing. If you want to shoot me a message, I can give you a list of books I've worked on that fit that description.  :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
From the writers side of things... I use multiple people but only hire one editor. We decided together what I needed/ wanted from her. Her name is Emerald and she is WONDERFUL to work with. I seriously can't brag about her enough. She edited my YA PNR books at the end of the DEMON KISSED series and a bunch of other stuff. So she's very familiar with that genre. I don't know if she has any openings that correspond to your timeline, but you should totally talk to her. Here's her contact info. She only takes on new ppl via word of mouth. Tell her that Holly sent you. www.facebook.com/emerald.lemmons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts