Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this make you want to check it out? Just to clarify, it is a spoof of the genre so it's meant to look 'Edwardian' lol

Do the colors or image catch your eye, does the pink give you a headache, etc? Suggestions?

EDIT: Images gone, back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd agree with what has been said. I'm not keen on the model, he's more dead dead, than hot dead. The writing stuck on his head looks odd. And I find the colour a bit garish. I'm unsure of what is going on below the model with the red ribbonish effect there and then the rest of the cover white? It's just my opinion.

Bilinda

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like a Sims game more than a book cover. I read almost all YA vampire series. It just doesn't say 'romance'. I know it's supposed to be spoof but if so, then why isn't he holding an apple in his hands then? I don't like the title all over the place. Why don't you put the title on a gravestone behind him or something. It's too much clutter. 

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sorry Ronnell, but this cover isn't doing much for me either. I've admired your work since I first joined the KB's. I think you could do better with the typography and the photo looks like CGI, which I don't care for (his skin is so shiny he looks plastic). I love the idea of a boy vamp holding an apple. Maybe you can find something like that from a stock photo site...?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have to agree with the others, I'm sorry. When I first saw the picture I was immediately turned off by the model, and then my eyes were drawn to the hot pink, HUGE lettering which kind of gave me a headache.

Positives though, I totally liked the bottom. The black/red thing and even just the word 'Vampire' on it. That was OK. Maybe change the model. Have "I was a" at the tip-top of the cover (maybe in red, not hot pink), and make brooding and teenager smaller and not so bright.

I'd love to see what else you can come up with! :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah the model and pink font was an instant turn-off. The color should be a couple shades darker and if you want broody the background shouldn't be write but the model...blech! It may be a spoof but IMO a spoof cover should be funny not nauseating.  :-X A good spoof cover would be "Romance Novel" by PJ Jones with it's "Flabio" cover model.

And for the record I am a YA vampire novel reader. Why don't you spoof the actual TWILIGHT, NEW MOON etc covers themselves, like a hand dropping an apple (or holding a very diamond-sparkly apple), or a chess chip next to a Red Bull, etc?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe the pink font should be lighter--less saturated--more hot pink.  It's hard to read now in the thumbnail.  I don't think the "I WAS A" is working where it is.  Maybe put it small off to one side of the model.  "Brooding Teenage Vampire" is the part that really matters, after all.  That alone tells us that it's satire.

Going for "so serious it's absurd" might work well, too. 

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. I've said it a dozen times before, and this only solidifies it; I cannot make my own covers. It just never works lol.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
Thanks for the input. I've said it a dozen times before, and this only solidifies it; I cannot make my own covers. It just never works lol.
I have to beg to differ (only because I'm feeling difficult today, :D), because The Little Peach King and Cursed have been my favorite covers for a VERY long time!! ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts