Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Kindle 2 finally arrived. I'd played with a coworker's before this, but now that I can get into it a bit deeper, there are some observations:

The speakers are much louder than I'd expected. Music actually sounds pretty good coming from them. I wouldn't expect rock music would be so great, but classical and instrumental stuff sounds decent.

The download of my books from Amazon is REALLY fast. Very impressive.

It feels heavier than my coworker's, but I know that has to be an illusion.

Yes. I definitely want a case. I'm being super-paranoid about the Kindle right now.

Non-Amazon books work great. The Kindle-formatted stuff from various web sources is pretty good, and the mobi-format stuff works well, too. PDFs converted with Calibre look OK, but the formatting does seem a little off for more complex things.

Apparently, even though the file name of a book includes an underscore _ the actual title on the Kindle home screen doesn't have it. I just thought that was interesting.

A lot of Amazon's free classics don't have any cover, table of contents, or anything else; They just start page one on the first chapter. Weird, but not a problem.

Web browsing is decent for a device in which it's really just an afterthought. Very handy for quick look-ups when my iPod touch is out of WiFi range.

The packaging is cute.

It kind of scares me how thin it is... It's dainty!

In summary, I think I just found my favorite new traveling companion. My only complaint is that there's no easy solution for reading in the dark. The Mighty Brite I have will clip on, but I worry about clipping onto the Kindle directly. This makes a case even more of a necessity, and it actually lends to the argument for getting an M-Edge.

No, I won't be getting an Oberon, no matter how beautiful they are!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Congratulations!  I just found out mine shipped yesterday, and I can't wait!!

Have you done the "sun test" that was mentioned in another thread, to check for fading (so that you can exchange it if necessary)?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yay!  Glad your K2 arrived, Nix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I haven't checked for fading either so I guess since it's a sunshiny day I better go out and check that huh?

·
Registered
61 Posts
;D    Yes, my K2 came last night. It is great! I will never have to wait on a new book to go paperback again! I love it! Oh, did I mention I love it. I am finishing a paperback novel tonight and starting on new books I bought on my K2 this weekend. My family is going camping and instead of having to round up a bag of books to read, I only have to carry my K2 with my books. Awesome!!

A coworker wants me to bring it to school to show it to her but without my cover I would rather wait. When I noticed how delicate it is last night I went on Amazon to purchase a cover for it. I will be nervous until I get the cover. Don't laugh, I have it wrapped in a baby receiving blanket on my nightstand waiting on me tonight.

Got to get back to work. I am looking forward sharing more with my Kindle friends later. Have a great day!

TCluvs2read  ::)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
TCLuvs2read said:
;D Don't laugh, I have it wrapped in a baby receiving blanket on my nightstand waiting on me tonight.

TCluvs2read ::)
We all get a little protective of our "precious" Kindles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TCLuvs2read said:
A coworker wants me to bring it to school to show it to her but without my cover I would rather wait. When I noticed how delicate it is last night I went on Amazon to purchase a cover for it. I will be nervous until I get the cover. Don't laugh, I have it wrapped in a baby receiving blanket on my nightstand waiting on me tonight.
Haha! I totally understand! :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
LaraAmber said:
Nothing wrong with coddling a newborn kindle. Just remember, you can't actually through a Kindle shower.

Lara Amber
And remember not to press too hard on the top of its head. ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Congrats on your new arrival!  It's so fun to hear peoples first impressions (and emotions).

Nix - sounds like you've already given it a good workout with adding non-Amazon books and surfing already.  Your gonna love your new little travel companion.  I'm not an Oberon person either.  I had a M-Edge for my K1 and liked it.  I have an Amazon cover for my K2 and I like it.

TC - I'm sorry, I did chuckle a little about the baby blanket.  But not because I thought it was strange, but because I completely understand the obsessiveness of keeping your new little K safe.

Susan - Kindle Watch can be frustrating, keep hitting that tracking refresh button.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LaraAmber said:
Nothing wrong with coddling a newborn kindle. Just remember, you can't actually through a Kindle shower.
We should be able to have Kindle Showers! It's expensive to cloth these little things... skins, kovers, koates, blankies, furniture (peeramids, or whatever it's called), lamps, books (all little kids need books). There are just so many things

DD said:
And remember not to press too hard on the top of its head. ;)
:) ha ha

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
kim said:
We should be able to have Kindle Showers! It's expensive to cloth these little things... skins, kovers, koates, blankies, furniture (peeramids, or whatever it's called), lamps, books (all little kids need books). There are just so many things

kim said:

In case anyone wants to know, I'm registered at Oberon and DecalGirl! LOL

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Congrats on your new arrival.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
kim said:
And at Amazon, my wish list is very big there
Of course, I forgot Amazon. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Nix Cadavre said:
When I get a sunny day, I'll check out the screen!

(I did cave in and get an Oberon cover, though!)
What style and color? Corners or velcro?

L

1 - 20 of 21 Posts