Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I signed up with Kobo (directly) and removed my distribution through Smashwords, I've been seeing sales really starting to ratchet up over there. Prior to signing up, I'd see only a handful of sales on Kobo through Smashwords... maybe a dozen every quarterly statement. Now, after signing up directly, I've seen a couple dozen sales in the past two weeks alone. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Has anyone else seen there sales increase dramatically at Kobo?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I suspect it's because of your own promotional efforts.  I just tried Kobo's search feature and it's still pretty feeble.  When I typed in MM Romance, my own category, the top result was this:  Ar Bibl Santel : levr ar Genes : troet e Brezonec, ha reizet hervez ar vam-scrid Hebre. 

Damned if I know what that is. 

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I posted the other day that I'm seeing substantially higher sales on Kobo, via Smashwords, than I've ever had before. It may not be a function of switching from SW to direct, but simply that Kobo is experiencing growth in general.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
Ever since I signed up with Kobo (directly) and removed my distribution through Smashwords, I've been seeing sales really starting to ratchet up over there. Prior to signing up, I'd see only a handful of sales on Kobo through Smashwords... maybe a dozen every quarterly statement. Now, after signing up directly, I've seen a couple dozen sales in the past two weeks alone. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Has anyone else seen there sales increase dramatically at Kobo?
I've been direct with Kobo since August 2012. Sales have been slowly increasing each month but last month my sales more than doubled. Kobo was bought recently and the new parent has deep pockets. I believe they're fast tracking their expansion into new markets around the world by signing affiliate resellers. I recently read on an author forum that someone has seen Kobo kiosks in at least two different Seattle malls. I doubt that your shift from SW was responsible.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
This month, my KWL book sales dropped off a cliff, whereas my SW books in Kobo started selling. I've given up trying to figure them out. Just last week I sent them an email about problems with reporting, and the answer they supplied five days later had nothing to do with what I asked.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think I was selling a little better through Smashwords. I have been selling about one or two a month since I went direct. I tried a free promotion there (even though I'm against them) and it did absolutely nothing except to make Amazon go free--which I didn't mean to do, but it helped my sales there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts