Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Kindle. Every since I saw it on the Amazon home page I new I had to have it. I am new to amazon period and I must say already addicted ;D I can't stop talking about my new Kindle and I haven't even gotten it yet. My husband swears i sound like a crack addict waiting for a fix. He only reads on the throne so he just doesn't get it ;) I hope it is as great as I feel it will be!
 
G

·
Lisa,
Welcome!  You are gonna freak out at how this will change your reading habits - it will be a most excellent adventure for you.  Enjoy!
;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Lisa, glad to have you here!

Your name looks familiar -- I think I answered a few of your questions on the FAQ thread.

Also, RN -- we have quite a few nurses here, including me.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep...we nurses must love to read ;D I think I may die from anticipation if the mail doesn't bring my kindle today! I already tried downloading a few books to my pc but it can't read them :( Any fixes??? I will check the faq board too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
lisadawnrn said:
yep...we nurses must love to read ;D I think I may die from anticipation if the mail doesn't bring my kindle today! I already tried downloading a few books to my pc but it can't read them :( Any fixes??? I will check the faq board too.
Kindle books, you mean? You can't read Kindle books on your computer. They need to be on the Kindle. The computer files are just archives or backups.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didn't realize that. I thought I could read the book on my pc while waiting for my kindle. I didn't want to start a new book just to abandon it in a day or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Hi Lisa,
Another avid reader...and nurse here  :) I've had my Kindle whose name is Ruby for 2 months and am as excited as the day she arrived! You are going to LOVE it. All I want to do is read, over on the Amazon forum I posted we need a bumper sticker... I'd Rather be Kindling.  ;)

Welcome,
Linda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linda...thanks for the welcome. I need a name for my Kindle.....gotta think on that one. If there are any books you have downloaded that were great please do share the titles! I am making my wishlist as we speak ;D I read fiction....crime, mystery, some romance, a few paranormal here and there. I want my knidle now!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
If you like sexy mysteries, L. A. Heat by P. A. Brown is terrific. It's a great mystery with an unexpected twist at the end. A romance too, with gay sex so if you don't like that, give it a pass. But if that's okay, it's a great read. It's for sale over at Amazon. Just google the title and look for the Kindle edition.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Hi again Lisa,
Some of my favorites:

All The Pretty Girls - great mystery/thriller by a new author & she has another book 14 that  I have waiting to read

The Book Thief - recommended to me by someone here & the FIRST book I read on my Kindle. Beautifully written & I fell in love with the characters. Takes place during WW 11...get the kleenex

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns ( or maybe it is Ten Thousand?)- read in this sequence. I LOVED them and hope he writes a third book. AWESOME READS!

Truth and Consequences- a freebie  :D combination mystery.thriller with some romance

After my Kindle I think the second love is the froum and getting recommendations and reading new authors.

Any suggestions for me?

Linda

 
G

·
Linda - I have virtually always read history and little fiction.  But with the K and all the free classics, I loved Gone With the Wind and am now loving The Count of Monte Cristo.  I'll try to intersperse the history reading with the classics.

Hey, Leslie - I love all the stars above your costume.  You remind me of a military general.  How do we get starz too?  I wanna be like you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
I think I got the green starz when Harvey made me a moderator last night. But you'll get gold starz as you move up through the ranks...Jr. Member at 50 posts, Sr. Member at 100 and so on...

And you can be like me if you just blab....and blab...and blab....LOL

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Etan,
Gone With the Wind is one of my all time favorites. I have read it 6 times in hard cover but purchased it yesterday to read on my Kindle. Can't wait!

Linda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Hey LCM -- the book is A Thousand Splendid Suns. I probably was the one who confoozed you about that. For some reason, I had TEN Thousand Splendid Suns stuck in my head, and I posted that title on the "What I'm Reading Now" board. Duh! Maybe it's just that I liked it at least TEN THOUSAND times more than I've liked any other book I've read this year.

I keep telling people to read that book (no matter how many suns you think are in the title!). It is absolutely amazing.
 
G

·
Linda,
You didn't have to buy it 'cause its FREE :D  I don't remember where I got it but was probably Mobi or Freebooks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
All The Pretty Girls - great mystery/thriller by a new author & she has another book 14 that I have waiting to read
I'll second this recommendation! I read this last week and thought it was great, I've also got her second book 14 in my 'save for later' list. This is a book I probably wouldn't have read if it weren't for the Kindle.

I've never read any of the classics (except for a few in school which I no longer remember) so I may give those a whirl too.

Cindy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
lisadawnrn said:
Linda...thanks for the welcome. I need a name for my Kindle.....gotta think on that one. If there are any books you have downloaded that were great please do share the titles! I am making my wishlist as we speak ;D I read fiction....crime, mystery, some romance, a few paranormal here and there. I want my knidle now!!!!!
Hi Lisa,
I'm a nursing student, and a brand new Kindle owner! Last winter break my mother-in-law came for a visit and brought a book for me to read by Tess Gerritsen called Body Double. It was excellent! Very fast moving - I found myself devouring it. Then again though, maybe it was so good to me at the time because it was the first book I had read for fun in quite a while - way too many textbooks to read in nursing school! Turns out Body Double is one in a series of books by Gerritsen, so I have already downloaded a sample of The Surgeon to my Kindle (the first book in the series). Can't wait!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
colleen said:
lisadawnrn said:
Linda...thanks for the welcome. I need a name for my Kindle.....gotta think on that one. If there are any books you have downloaded that were great please do share the titles! I am making my wishlist as we speak ;D I read fiction....crime, mystery, some romance, a few paranormal here and there. I want my knidle now!!!!!
Hi Lisa,
I'm a nursing student, and a brand new Kindle owner! Last winter break my mother-in-law came for a visit and brought a book for me to read by Tess Gerritsen called Body Double. It was excellent! Very fast moving - I found myself devouring it. Then again though, maybe it was so good to me at the time because it was the first book I had read for fun in quite a while - way too many textbooks to read in nursing school! Turns out Body Double is one in a series of books by Gerritsen, so I have already downloaded a sample of The Surgeon to my Kindle (the first book in the series). Can't wait!
Tess Gerritsen lives here in Maine. She acknowledges a friend of mine in the intro to The Surgeon which was sort of fun to see! The Surgeon was actually free a few weeks ago which is why I have read it recently. It was good but at times I felt that the author was a tad more graphic than necessary.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My kindle came yesterday! I have started reading book 1 in the southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris. Pretty good so far. Thanks for the recommendations. i have read all of Tess Gerritson's books and loved them! I will check out the others. ;D
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top