Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yet Another Plagiariser! (Edited from my original post)

37K views 193 replies 62 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
I just read today about another plagiariser, one even more blatant than Karl Jones, the man who stole two of my books in August of this year.

Please spread the word, so author Jerri Hines can make sure this thief is exposed. (I've never actually had need to go back into a previous post of mine to update on someone else's experience. Wasn't sure if I was meant to remove my original post. I haven't, but I've drawn a line between this, edited post, and my original).

http://romanticpicks.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/the-cry-of-plagiarism/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 'author' who has only managed to find the energy to change the names in the two of 'his' books that he purports to have written, has stolen the rest of my words wholesale.

I've reported him to Amazon.

But I checked him out after a reader was kind enough to tip me off, and I discovered 'his' work not only takes up four pages on his author page, but also extends across a fair few genres. It might be a good idea for others on these boards to check him out and see if he's also stolen their work.

His name is Karl Jones. He has re-named my series The 'O'Malley series. He seems to have several series on the go. As MY Joe Rafferty would say: 'nice little earner'.

See less See more
#2 ·
"If Stephen Ambrose could do it, I can do it!" seems to be thought of plagiarizers like this dude.
Isn't there a way Kindle authors can prevent such "cut and paste" rip off artists from copying their work?

#4 ·
Diane Patterson said:
You'd think Amazon could apply TurnItIn to the books uploaded to their site.
What is TurnItIn?

#8 ·
TonyWrites said:
What is TurnItIn?
A service used by just about every university (and quite a few high schools, I think) to analyze student papers and see if they've appeared anywhere before -- like, from a previous student, or a student at another college, or a term paper mill that churns out papers for pay.

I *think* students are allowed to argue that they can plagiarize from themselves (ie, use parts of a paper they themselves wrote), but I'm not sure about that.

That Amazon (and Scribd, which has no problem uploading pirated stuff) can't use similar technology seems at the very least lazy. Amazon knows discoverability and keywords -- it should start putting that to use.

#17 ·
Diane Patterson said:
A service used by just about every university (and quite a few high schools, I think) to analyze student papers and see if they've appeared anywhere before -- like, from a previous student, or a student at another college, or a term paper mill that churns out papers for pay.

I *think* students are allowed to argue that they can plagiarize from themselves (ie, use parts of a paper they themselves wrote), but I'm not sure about that.

That Amazon (and Scribd, which has no problem uploading pirated stuff) can't use similar technology seems at the very least lazy. Amazon knows discoverability and keywords -- it should start putting that to use.
Many thanks, Diane.

#21 ·
Doggone it, hardnutt! I've been reading your first Rafferty book and greatly enjoying it. It really makes me furious that this &*&%%*#* plagiarized your book.

I thought Amazon had crawler bots that went around the Internet looking for blocks of text identical to those in different Kindle books. Whatever it is, I hope that you will be able to use all available technology to defeat this man's theft.

#25 ·
Diane Patterson said:
You'd think Amazon could apply TurnItIn to the books uploaded to their site.
I've never heard of Turnitin, either. Sounds like an excellent idea for Amazon to use it.

#26 ·
judygoodwin said:
Wow, did you register your copyright? I'd go after him, especially with that ranking. Get that money back.
I wondered about American copyright, Judy. Maybe it's too late to register it after the event? I'll investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.