Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'know, nothing brightens my day quite like a $25 reward certificate from my Amazon Visa card.  :D  Just a little reminder that groceries, car insurance, the cable bill, new socks, and all that mundane stuff can eventually translate into Kindle books.  (But don't carry a balance, or the Bad Guys win.)

Actually I think the cash back rate on my Discover card might be a little higher, but then I'd miss the sheer joy of an Amazon certificate showing up in the mailbox unexpectedly!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
That is cool. I have a Discover card and I have earned a few boarders cards (pre kindle) and I love that.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I agree, Essensia. I love those certificates. I use my Amazon card for EVERYTHING. In fact, I realized that's why I don't have change for the coinstar machine because I very rarely pay cash these days. But all those charges add up fast (yes, pay the bill in full every month) and those certificates just appear in the mail. It's great.

A word to the wise (learned the hard way): apply them to your Amazon balance immediately. It is very easy for the paper to get misplaced, at least in my household!

L

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have a Chase card and always get Borders gift cards as rewards.  I still will.  I still love me my "picture books".  I love my books.  Periodically I do have to purge a few because of space.  That's so hard to do.  For text / reading books, I love Sundog.  I can read and not fill up my shelves.  I'm not as fast a reader or as avid (at least not as yet) as most here so libraries don't work well for me.  I just like to browse on Amazon and at Borders (B&M) and buy what strikes my fancy.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Leslie said:
I agree, Essensia. I love those certificates. I use my Amazon card for EVERYTHING. In fact, I realized that's why I don't have change for the coinstar machine because I very rarely pay cash these days. But all those charges add up fast (yes, pay the bill in full every month) and those certificates just appear in the mail. It's great.

A word to the wise (learned the hard way): apply them to your Amazon balance immediately. It is very easy for the paper to get misplaced, at least in my household!

L
My amazon rewards are already set up to apply to the balance. Hubby has all rewards cards set up that way!

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Angela said:
My amazon rewards are already set up to apply to the balance. Hubby has all rewards cards set up that way!
You mean you don't have to go to Amazon and enter then number when the certificate comes in the mail? Amazon does it automatically? I didn't know you could do that. Can you explain how?

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Angela said:
Is there a way to change it so you don't get the certificate in the mail? I haven't found it yet and would love to have it be more automatic (so I don't run the risk of losing the certificates).

L

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I know; doesn't it feel great?  I've gotten several now...Keep 'em coming.  I charge everything and put the money aside for when the bill comes in...like money in the bank; with the interest being my Rewards Gift Card...$25. a pop--I'll take it!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
You mean you don't have to go to Amazon and enter then number when the certificate comes in the mail? Amazon does it automatically? I didn't know you could do that. Can you explain how?

Ann
I have no idea... Larry handles it. All I know is that every month there is a credit applied to my card.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I do not have an actual credit card but... hmm, Amazon rewards? May have to get finally decide to have a credit cards

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
TM said:
I do not have an actual credit card but... hmm, Amazon rewards? May have to get finally decide to have a credit cards
Usually they have a promotion that gives you $30 off the first time you use the card, which is also nice. I find the rewards add up fast, but like I said, I use my card for everything but pay the bill in full every month. That's key.

L

B

·
0 Posts
They are running the $30 promo now. Got the banner at the top of my shopping cart. So tempted, but BJ would kill me.

No darling, I was good and did not do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to look into that, too. Like Leslie, I always apply the certificate immediately because I just know I'll lose track of the piece of paper.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Angela said:
I have no idea... Larry handles it. All I know is that every month there is a credit applied to my card.
It sounds like the rewards show up as a credit on your Visa statement rather than being applied directly to Amazon as a gift card. Does that sound right?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
gertiekindle said:
It sounds like the rewards show up as a credit on your Visa statement rather than being applied directly to Amazon as a gift card. Does that sound right?
Well, if that's the way it works I don't want that. I want it to go to buy BOOKS, not pay for all the stuff I bought so I could get points so I could buy books. . . . .But if I could get it to where I didn't have to worry about losing the certificates before I could post it to my Amazon account that would be great!

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
One of the Rewards Partners for Discover is Amazon.com MP3. For $20 in cash back, you can get $25 to apply towards MP3s only. I've been picking these up for a few months now.

Amazon MP3 ™
Amazon MP3 offers millions of songs from your favorite artists - all in MP3 format so you can play them in any music program and on any MP3 device, including the iPod™.

About Amazon.com's Digital Music Library

* Freedom: Amazon MP3 music downloads play on any MP3 player, including iPods®.
* Selection: Our catalog includes million of songs from major labels and independent artists, starting at $.89
* Convenience: Amazon MP3 is fast and easy: The Downloader automatically adds your music to iTunes or Windows Media Player so you can start listening now.
* eCertificate valid for a minimum of 90 days at www.amazon.com/discover

Restrictions apply, please see Amazon MP3™ Terms and Conditions for details.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't understand how you are getting the gift cards "automatically" in the mail? I had to go to my account and select the cards to "purchase" with my available points. If there's a way that I can just get Chase to mail me a gift card whenever I have enough points, I'd love to know how!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Khabita said:
I don't understand how you are getting the gift cards "automatically" in the mail? I had to go to my account and select the cards to "purchase" with my available points. If there's a way that I can just get Chase to mail me a gift card whenever I have enough points, I'd love to know how!
With the Amazon Visa card, one of the benefits is that when you spend $X you receive a gift certificate for $25 in the mail. Most months I receive one. Sometimes I receive two. You have to apply the code number to your account to get the credit.

I think they send them in the mail to just make it one extra step...and hope people don't take advantage of it. Or lose their certificates. I have been all over the website (Amazon and Chase) and have never found a way to get the certificate "automatically" applied to my account. But after almost losing two certs a few months ago (I found them) you can be sure I put those numbers on my account the minute I open the envelope.

L

I

·
0 Posts
Y'all got me curious so I went to check my Chase rewards program.. I have almost enough points for 2 $25.00 gift cards...I should have enough by this time next week!  I have a lot of books I have been wanting but have been putting off.

I haven't checked yet but I am sure it's easy to switch the payment method from my CC to the GC.  I am so excited!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the Rewards Partners for Discover is Amazon.com MP3. For $20 in cash back, you can get $25 to apply towards MP3s only.
Ooh, good find, Pidgeon. Thanks for mentioning this.

This weekend I think I'll sort through the various points and rewards programs and partners on my different cards. The only one I've really paid attention to is the Amazon Visa, and that's only because the certificates started coming. I signed up just to get the initial $30 discount and didn't notice the rewards plan. Maybe I should start drinking coffee again and wake up a little. :-[

1 - 20 of 72 Posts