Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been many threads on pirating, but you might want to check this out. There is a website that is offering free downloads of pdfs: urbooklibrary.net. People tell each other about the site on forums.

There have been close to 50,000 free downloads of my books on urbooklibrary.net. I just filed a take down notice with Google. Using Google is the quickest way to get your books off any site. The link is:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice?complaint_type=circumvention&pli=1&rd=1

If you Google your author name and go deep, you'll probably find your books being offered as free pdfs. I actually saw the numbers go up as people were downloading one of my books. I didn't expect to spend my Sunday this way.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Pirating doesn't bother me in the least. People who buy books are always going to buy books. People who pirate books are never going to buy books. The sheer bulk of pirating sites are actually malware sites. Pirating is going to exist no matter what. I'd rather waste my time writing.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
YodaRead said:
Pirating doesn't bother me in the least. People who buy books are always going to buy books. People who pirate books are never going to buy books. The sheer bulk of pirating sites are actually malware sites. Pirating is going to exist no matter what. I'd rather waste my time writing.
That's how I look at it anymore. Let them get a virus. Then they'll pay more than if they'd just bought the book.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not bothered by pirating either.  I actually uploaded my books to some torrent sites some time ago and posted on their forums to say so.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can type in any random assortment of letters into the search bar of that site and it will return with thousands of seeders and leechers. It appears to be a phishing scam to get your info--don't create an account there.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Marian said:
There have been close to 50,000 free downloads of my books on urbooklibrary.net.
That's extremely unlikely. People with permafree books (like me) pay good money to chum the waters with this many downloads. Much more likely is that the site, which is scummy enough to pirate, is lying about the number of downloads, and/or is not offering your book at all, but will simply put malware on people's computers.

In any case, it's SSDD; feel free to imitate Sisyphus if you like.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sever Bronny said:
You can type in any random assortment of letters into the search bar of that site and it will return with thousands of seeders and leechers. It appears to be a phishing scam to get your info--don't create an account there.
I didn't, thank goodness. What a learning curve this is!

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Someone's getting my books in front of people without me doing any work?

How do I sign?

·
Registered
382 Posts
David VanDyke said:
That's extremely unlikely. People with permafree books (like me) pay good money to chum the waters with this many downloads. Much more likely is that the site, which is scummy enough to pirate, is lying about the number of downloads, and/or is not offering your book at all, but will simply put malware on people's computers.

In any case, it's SSDD; feel free to imitate Sisyphus if you like.
This, if you aren't getting 50,000 downloads of a free title on Amazon you sure as hell aren't getting it from obscure pirate sites that most people have never heard of.

Only the very technically adept bother to pirate, people pay for the convenience of pressing one button and having a book magically appear on their device.

Given their low intrinsic value and competing content, few authors should lose sleep over this issue. People pirating books are never going to pay you anything, they are the digital equivalent of shoplifters.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not big-fish enough to get pirated, but I also can't say that it would bother me too much if it happened.  A lot of movie reviews on Amazon and other websites come from people who pirated the movie.  And that's pretty much the stance I would take.  Please don't pirate my stuff, but if you do, review it on Amazon.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Le sigh.

I'm not worried about pirates, and you'll find most every experienced author here isn't either. In the grand scheme of things, I rate worry over "pirate" sites way down in the deepest, darkest hole.

Also, SSDD! I've had to explain that so many times since my USAF days. :p

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
David S. said:
That used to be said about music, and movies.
It's a shame that iTunes is going out of business. ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
ML-Larson said:
I'm not big-fish enough to get pirated, but I also can't say that it would bother me too much if it happened. A lot of movie reviews on Amazon and other websites come from people who pirated the movie. And that's pretty much the stance I would take. Please don't pirate my stuff, but if you do, review it on Amazon.
You never know. I'm a minnow and I get pirated, but I accepted it as a downside to the business and stopped worrying about it. Otherwise, you'll spend all your writing time sending out take down notices.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've pirated. I still pirate. I support pirating. I think the studies have shown it does more good than harm. I say let them pirate away.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
David S. said:
It's still true for music and movies. There's no conclusive evidence that piracy has been the downfall of traditional sales of music and films. Many believe it does more good than harm, including myself (after much studying). Also, as someone that has a massive film collection (I'm talking over 1,000) and still rabidly pirates, I can say that piracy hasn't prevented me from buying, it just allows me to buy more wisely.

·
Registered
125 Posts
David S. said:
The big issue music labels and TV networks were having back in the day wasn't the pirating itself, it was the fact that customers could get their stuff more conveniently through piracy. Rather than changing their business model to give customers what they wanted they tried to suppress a more convenient distribution system while sticking to the old methods. Price wasn't so much the issue as the fact that music labels were churning out CDs to sell in stores while litigating against online downloads, and TV networks were suing illegal streaming sites while forcing people to buy cable and watch a show on their TV at a specific hour. It took years for the big businesses to figure it out and provide paid alternatives to the convenience pirating sites provided, in the form of places like iTunes and Hulu.

You notice after the huge deal they made out of piracy through endless lawsuits and scolding PSAs, those businesses actually adopted the superior methods thought up by pirates to increase their own profits. I'm not saying I support piracy, but it's always more worthwhile to find ways to get your product in front of paying customers rather than bitterly fighting free distribution from illegal sources.

To cite a personal example, back when Game of Thrones first came out I searched around to see if HBO had a way I could stream it from them to support them and the show. They did have a streaming service, but only if you had a paid cable subscription that included their channel. Since purchasing cable was impossible for me due to where I lived I had no way of legitimately watching the show, so I had to wait until it came out on DVD and purchase it then. Which I did. I didn't resort to piracy and I pride myself on not doing so, but I was still annoyed that HBO wasn't giving me a way to pay them for a product I wanted.

Like Yodaread and others have said, people who pay for things will pay for things, and people who pirate things will pirate things. Stopping the piracy isn't going to get you many more customers.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Michael Cargill said:
I'm not bothered by pirating either. I actually uploaded my books to some torrent sites some time ago and posted on their forums to say so.
This.

I've been thinking of uploading one or a portion of one. It's a very controversial subject I know, but I do think pirating exists because there's a problem with the way the system is set up. I don't think it's all about bad people doing bad and the rest of us needing protection from them baddies.

Those who pay for books will do so those who don't won't. As an author it's a pain, yes, but I think we need to think about this and not simply react.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts