Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I swear these people are all sucking from the same bong as Michael Phelps. Give me a great big break.....

L

B

·
0 Posts
Am I literally the only person on Earth who couldn't care less about new/future versions of Kindle?  I'm certainly not planning on buying another one for years, if ever.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, there not wrong in the context that by the time Kindle 3# comes out, there will be a lot more competitors, with good products to compete with the Amazon Kindle.

Right now, the Amazon Kindle is the best reading devise out there.

Although, even if Apple came out with an amazing reader, there is still the question of where the books would download from.

Amazon has the market cornered on books.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Amazon's range of books is the real advantage that the Kindle has in the long run. But I am not defensive or possessive about the Kindle. I think it will probably win the competition, but if someone comes out with a superior reader, then I'll switch. Hopefully someone will then come out with a converter to convert awz books to the new format. I don't have a financial stake in Amazon and I don't really care who wins, as long as I can convert my books (or maybe that reader will read our books directly). I would love for someone to come out with a reader that is the size of the Kindle, but is .125 inch thick and weighs 2 oz. It would have color and a clear, brilliant screen. It would read all ebook formats. I would love to buy such an ereader, and the Kindle would just be a fond old memory. However my gut tells me that Amazon will probably get their first. If there is a real competitor, it will probably be Apple.

Steve

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I was tired of the K2 speculation months ago.  And now people are already speculating about K3.  I am so over it all.  I'm really done with all the speculation threads.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
I feel very sad for those who can't just be happy with what they have but must always look for the 'next big thing'.

I wonder if people had discussions about this before the advent of sliced bread: "Gee, this bread is great but I wish it didn't have to be sliced." "Yeah, wouldn't it be really great if it came already sliced?"  "Yeah!  Wow!  That would be the greatest things since. . . . . ."

(Hmmm.  What was the greatest thing before sliced bread, anyway?)

Ann

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I don't know, I come from a Country where bread isn't already sliced  :D Only english toastbread is. Well and packaged pumpernickel bread.  ;D

I have always been happy with a version of any product as long as it does what I was told it would do when I bought it. I still have my series 2 Tivo from 2002 and after a new hard drive, it still records TV programs. Humming along. I never had a Ipod or any other pod type product so I don't know. I use a prepaid phone that was free and it doesn't do anything but take and make calls. I think it might text, but then I wouldn't know who to text too.

I like gadgets like the next person, but I just don't have the need to replace a perfectly fine product with the newest version just because.

I probably will call though to maybe have my Kindle replaced as I have some issues with the right page button and I want to just make sure I still get the current version, other than that, unless it breaks out of warranty, no need for any other whistles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's wayyyyyyyyyy too early to be talking about the Kindle v3... jeez lets get the Kindle v2 in our hands first!

·
Registered
325 Posts
What's beginning to worry me is that Kindles will start having a shorter life expectancy if they plan to bring out a new one every 18 months.

Unless they make one that will wash, dry, fold and put away my clothes while I read, I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime soon. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Am I literally the only person on Earth who couldn't care less about new/future versions of Kindle? I'm certainly not planning on buying another one for years, if ever.
No. I will only buy another one if mine dies out of warranty. Little Gertie I does everything I need her to do, although taking out the trash would be a nice bonus.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I don't care if it is V1, V2, V3, or V9, I just want to get my Kindle!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't think its just about, not being happy with what you have now. Its about advancements in technology. I find that very interesting.

Also, I remember my first few Apple computers, long ago, maybe 18 years, or so ago.
Back then they were quite glitchy, and I really was looking forward, to the new ones that came out.
Now..... at this point in there technology, I am quite happy to keep my Mac computers for as long as they will last.
Because there so improved, over the beginning technology. I barely use all there bells and whistles, as is.

The same might apply to this new burgeoning technology of readers, they will improve in leaps and bounds.
That will be exciting to see, and use!

Just my 2$

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I remember a time when there wasn't all this upgrade hoopla. You bought something and that was it. I remember getting one of the very first Palm Pilots. I didn't upgrade for years and didn't care about an upgrade. Same with my first cellphone.

Who created this upgrade mindset? Was it apple with all their various iPod releases?

L

·
Registered
869 Posts
Leslie,

I agree with you on the "hoopla" part. 

Nah, it was Intel with their chipsets & CPU speeds and everyone jumping on that bandwagon "faster is better" "you'll get more done in less time" etc.

Small picture, I think the mindset comes from advancements, demand, cool factor, functionality.  Cars, planes, trains, televisions, radios, recording devices, the list goes on and on.  Big picture, "progress" as presented by the media. Or maybe that's the other way around  ???

Face it, any product that proves to be reliable, functionable, marketable, and priced right will have a life span -- and a longer one if that product can "stay with the times".  Heck, even laundry detergent gets upgrades!

Marci

1 - 20 of 53 Posts