Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I had to have a sonagram last week and I read mine while laying on the table waiting for the doctor to start. 
deb

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe that Kindles were made specifically for doctor's visits. ;) I have one doctor who is so slow that I know it will be at least an hour after my appointment time before he ever sees me (seriously, every single time) so my Kindle always comes with me to appointments.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Or sitting and waiting at the car mechanics! I HATE waiting on mechanics. And I don't know why it takes them so long since they charge by job, not hours.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Shana Norris said:
I believe that Kindles were made specifically for doctor's visits. ;) I have one doctor who is so slow that I know it will be at least an hour after my appointment time before he ever sees me (seriously, every single time) so my Kindle always comes with me to appointments.
A couple of weeks ago I had to go to urgent care cause my regular doctor couldn't see me that day. I brought my kindle expecting it to be very busy. There was no one there. I got in much faster than when I see my regular doctor. I was actually kinda disappointed.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A lot of people are coughing so you don't want to handle the doctor office magazines. Your Kindle is safe though. 

It is sort of like practicing safe sex, but now it is safe reading.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
*ahem* You don't know what I have on my Kindle if you say that.  ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
...when that half-hour auto tune-up ends up taking 90 minutes!

This really happened to me this fall. In fact, eventually I downloaded the very first game for my Kindle in the waiting room at the auto mechanic's -- and then instead of being bored and anxious, I was playing Shuffled Row!

Usually you get pretty restless when you're waiting around like that, but fortunately I had hundreds of choices for things to read.  And my car was ready before I knew it! :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just know if I bring any kind of electronic item to the doctor's office, next time there'll be a sign banning it.  :-\

(Seriously. Now, in addition to cell phones and laptops -- on which you can switch off wireless so they can't possibly interfere with medical equipment -- they ban any kind of electronic games. I'm sure iPad would fall into that category. I haven't seen anyone try to read on a Kindle or Kobo yet...)

·
Registered
685 Posts
lpking said:
I just know if I bring any kind of electronic item to the doctor's office, next time there'll be a sign banning it. :-\

(Seriously. Now, in addition to cell phones and laptops -- on which you can switch off wireless so they can't possibly interfere with medical equipment -- they ban any kind of electronic games. I'm sure iPad would fall into that category. I haven't seen anyone try to read on a Kindle or Kobo yet...)
I'd be apt to find a new office, or at least ask for documentation about it.

Of course, you can say the FAA certified iPads for the cockpit and most airlines are now selling wifi for cabin use... And last time I was in the hospital they had wifi for everyone to use.

At a minimum, if I can't entertain myself in their office, I better be seen at my appointment time. Not later.

Everywhere I go the cell phone thing isnt about the machines, but about the rudeness factor while talking to the docs. "please don't use your cell phone while interacting with our staff".

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh yes, Kindles were made for waiting on auto service/repair too! I had to sit at the auto shop for two hours last month waiting for them to figure out why my tires kept losing air pressure every few days. Luckily I had something to read and pass the time--and the woman sitting across from me had her Kindle out too.  :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I live in Oaxaca, Mexico. My Spanish is terrible. I'm old, mostly deaf, and don't see well, either. For 13 years I was reading not what I wanted to read but what I could find. When I was actually tempted to read one of Barack Obama's books I almost cried. I ordered a Kindle and never looked back. It's a miracle. Ross MacDonald lives.

·
Registered
691 Posts
...when your printer is out of ink but you need directions to where you're going.

Copy--->paste into Word--->send to free Kindle account.

Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Kindles were defintely made for lunch period during my Not Bummer Summer Zombie Camp 2011. They don't have TVs here, just copies of Fangoria and Fitness Magazine. Gets kinda boring. Although, tonight we're watching the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead outside, and I'm sure there will be a pop-quiz on it tomorrow. Bleh...

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Kindle is great for those of us who don't live near a library or bookstore.  My nearest library is 40 min away and costs $100 a year to for me to get a library card.  And gas is so expensive.

It's also been a sanity-saver while I've been going through cancer treatment.  All of my dr's offices and hospitals have had wi-fi so I've been able to download new books/read whenever I have my Kindle with me, which is all of the time.

As a mom, I always have my Kindle with me to fill the time while I'm waiting to pick up kids at their various activities - karate, soccer, piano, dance, school, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
...when I'm at the gym. People look at me funny when I say I like to take my Kindle there. But, with large enough text, it's great to use on the elliptical or treadmill. I mean, why else did they put that little tray on the front of the machine if not for books? It's harder to use on weight machines and the like, but a majority of my time at the gym is spent on the treadmill...maybe because I can read there...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.