Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else using Mailchimp? When I set up my newest campaign, it notified me that since I use gmail for my email, the message may not reach all the recipients. It recommends that I register my own domain name. They recommend using Google Domains. This is the site on Mailchimp that explains the issue further: http://kb.mailchimp.com/delivery/deliverability-research/about-dmarc?_ga=1.147314100.2018917144.1416435154

Mailchimp does allow me to continue to send campaigns with the From address being from gmail, they just warn that because of gmail's policies, they may not reach the recipients. And apparently this is the same if I use Yahoo, AOL, and presumably other services as well, although I don't know for certain.

Does anyone know an easy way to solve this problem? I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to do here because I've always used gmail. I don't know if all I need is to go through Google Domains, or if I'll need to use another service as well. Also, do other email lists have this issue too, or is it just Mailchimp?

I was hoping to avoid paying for additional services to get my messages out to my mailing subscribers, but I will pay if necessary. Also, I'm already paying Mailchimp to use its services.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
I'm interested in the replies as well.

I have my domain name registered through Hover, but now what? I host my website on Blogger and redirect my domain there, so it's not like I have an email address for my domain.

'Where can I get a cheap email address for my registered domain?' is the question, I guess.

· Registered
637 Posts
I'm having issues with Mailchimp as well, which is a real shame. I haven't been able to log into my account for 3 days and they're taking their sweet ass time getting back to me. It really sucks because I have new subcribers and I don't have anything automated set up yet. Hopefully whatever issues are going on with Mailchimp will be resolved promptly or I may have to figure something else out.

· Registered
343 Posts
It's definitely worth having your own domain. It's not a golden bullet, because any mass-mailing is going to trigger a whole bunch of spam filters, but Mailchimp takes steps to avoid as many as possible, and avoiding the use of Gmail addresses is definitely a key step.

· Registered
13,736 Posts
Just set up your own domain and use that. If you still want to receive your email at the gmail server for your own convenience, just forward it. IMO a gmail address on your official author correspondence doesn't look particularly good.

· Registered
884 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Just set up your own domain and use that. If you still want to receive your email at the gmail server for your own convenience, just forward it. IMO a gmail address on your official author correspondence doesn't look particularly good.
Patty is yours just through your Web host? And can you reply from your Gmail but make it look like it's from the host mail?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

· Registered
13,736 Posts
spellscribe said:
Patty is yours just through your Web host? And can you reply from your Gmail but make it look like it's from the host mail?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I'm sure you can do that, but I have a gmail address to log into google. I don't use it for anything, except to give it to people I really don't want to hear from. I never use it.

The most important function of forwarding would be that you can read your other email in gmail. How you reply would matter less than what's listed on your site, because that's where people can actually the address. If they already receive an email from you, they just hit reply and don't look at the address.

G

·
Most mail hosts will note that this is an issue because, in general, using a gmail, yahoo, etc is not seen as a sign of being a business/professional address.

Google Domains can host your email addresses with your domains if needed, though check with your webhost first. Most good ones let you have email addresses on your domain as part of your hosting package. If you aren't using self-hosted, then Google Domains is a fairly easy option.

Once you have your email set up, you'll also want to set up signed email, like with DKIM authentication, so MailChimp (or whichever newsletter provider you use) can be verified as having the authority to send emails on your behalf. Otherwise Google will see it as sent from MailChimp or whoever and still treat it more harshly as potential spam as they see them as potential spoofs. MailChimp has a help doc on the steps. http://kb.mailchimp.com/delivery/deliverability-research/set-up-custom-dkim I found it fairly easy, other than having to have my host do the CNAME change because the web interface wouldn't accept one of the values even though it was valid.

I've actually noticed this week a huge influx of emails I get daily that Gmail never had a problem with that are suddenly going to spam. My guess is they are getting more hardlined on considering non-authenticated emails as spam.

spellscribe said:
Yes, you can. I have mine set up that way. My email is set up through my web host (most good hosts offer this service) so it has my domain on it. In GMail I set it up to check that email and to do all reply froms to the domain it was sent to.

· Registered
43 Posts
Anma Natsu said:
Yes, you can. I have mine set up that way. My email is set up through my web host (most good hosts offer this service) so it has my domain on it. In GMail I set it up to check that email and to do all reply froms to the domain it was sent to.
Agreed. I've got mine set up through Bluehost and it was free with my hosting plan, something that came as a surprise to me.

· Registered
73 Posts
CM Raymond said:
Zoho's free system has worked flawlessly for me. I keep thing clean and under their limits for the free account.
Same here! Zoho sites also gives you a free website that you can assign your own domain to at no charge, and after my weebly account expires I'll move my site over to them. Now if only there was a place to register a domain and never pay a renewal fee :D

· Registered
4,758 Posts
All of the public web based email providers spam block. This includes all forms of forum, and anything which sends out bulk emails. They dont tell you they do it. Only those who know they get blocked tend to advise people of it.

There are correct forms for bulk emails, but the spam blocking happens a lot anyway.

Personally, I dont use public email addresses for anything except the necessary logins on devices. And I dont check them for email ever.

Having your own domain emails is much better than public ones.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
We just went through this a few days ago. The cheapest reliable service we found cost $7.99. We got:

- 1 custom domain for 1 year with Whois privacy protection (1 year renewal will be $8.99)
- up to 100 email addresses forwarded per domain (or up to 25 email addresses with 5 GB for mail + 5 GB for doc storage per user)
- up to 50 sub-domains to forward to existing URLs
- web hosting for any number of blogs with the ability to use Javascript and HTML to customize the blog (like setting up a link to our MailChimp subscription page)

How did we do this?

1. Bought domain at Namesilo.com with a $1 off coupon. (Hint: Create an account at namesilo.com and log in BEFORE you register the domain and apply the coupon at checkout. If you don't, when you enter the coupon code, you'll get the message that the coupon expired.)
2. In the DNS Manager at Namesilo.com, pressed the "Apply Template" buttons to automatically configure the DNS records to point to Google's Blogger blogs and Zoho's free business email (25 free email addresses). We could have pressed the button to automatically configure the DNS records for email forwarding to our Gmail accounts (or other email addresses), but we want to test out Zoho's services.
3. In the Domain Manager, added a sub-domain to forward to Blogger blog.
4. Logged into our Blogger blogs and configured the domain for one and the sub-domain for the other. (Took about 2.5 hours for Google to recognize the DNS records for the new domain, but Whois info was populated less than an hour after we bought the domain.)
5. Created a Zoho mail account for businesses (25 email addresses) and they were able to see the DNS records while we were setting up (this was right after we'd done the Blogger configuration, so we knew the DNS records had propagated to the Internet already).
6. We'll be setting up MailChimp's DKIM authentication with domain registrar's DNS settings this weekend, too.

And then we won't be using a Gmail address for our mailing list, so we'll have a higher rate of deliveries. (Theoretically.)

· Registered
6,854 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
I'm sure you can do that, but I have a gmail address to log into google. I don't use it for anything, except to give it to people I really don't want to hear from. I never use it.

The most important function of forwarding would be that you can read your other email in gmail. How you reply would matter less than what's listed on your site, because that's where people can actually the address. If they already receive an email from you, they just hit reply and don't look at the address.
But! You gave ME your gmail addy! :'( Hahah, but yes, have your own domain. Own your OWN business in all the ways you can. Also regarding Mailchimp, authenticate mails from the domain email address you use. It helps getting by the promotions folders.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.