Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right setting can make a story unforgettable. It can inspire readers to pick up a previously read book just to thumb through familiar pages and picture a city in their mind's eye.

There have been many great cities in both books and movies. Some made you want to run away screaming, while others made you wish you could pack your bags and move there.

So tell me, what’s your favorite fictional city?

Me, I would have to go for the Gotham City from either Nolan's or Burton's Batman movies (but only the first Nolan movie, Batman Begins). I would not want to live in that city or even visit, but the texture of the city - the dank, decayed weariness - is captivating.

What about you?

·
Registered
780 Posts
In terms of world-building, New Crobuzon of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station is unforgettable, magical and horrifying construction. I wouldn't even want to visit. But what a place. Marvell comics meet Hieronymous Bosch.

But steampunk London of Gail Carriger Parasol Protectorate books would be my vacation choice :)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
While I'm tempted to pick Zelazny's Amber for sentimental reason, I suppose I have to pick Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork, as it's such an important "character" in many of his "Discworld" books.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts